Large format proof press available

  • Fritz Klinke
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2005
      A rather large proof press, with a bed size of 36 x72, is available in
      Indianapolis, Indiana. It was made in Germany by J. G. Mailander and it has
      what appears to be a model number of 260 70 on it and a date of 1962. Dave
      Churchman is the contact for this press and he may not be able to answer too
      many questions, but he will have digital photos available. Large format
      presses like this one are rare and hard to find, but are ideal for large
      poster and art work that the smaller presses can't handle. Dave's phone
      number is 317-849-5665 and believe it or not, his email address is
      churchmans@.... This press is in a building that is publicly owned
      and it has to be moved in about a month.

      Fritz
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 2005
        Don't know how much this will add to this: Mailanders are a fairly
        respected press in the printmaking field, but I've never heard of one
        designed for relief work (that might need to be checked out ?); the
        presses I've seen were used for lithography. They usually trade at
        quite a high value. A couple of printmaking acquaintances of mine have
        Mailanders and one of them uses a large Vandercook for his relief work.

        In that regard, I know that Takach has custom built large relief
        cylinder presses in the very recent past. I was always sort of hoping
        they would manufacture a smaller model for the letterpress crowd, say
        a 17.5 inch. I'd be one of those folks camping out on the sidewalk
        hoping to be the first in line to give them my money!

        Gerald