Re: Kreene

  • cutncrease
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 7, 2002
      > While we're on the subject, does anyone know who MAKES Kreene? And what is the technical name/specification for that kind of plastic (such as, polyvinylacethane)?

      Joel,
      In the US, I think Harold at Boxcar press sell it from their site. Here in Oz, Anderson & Vreeland supply it. Not sure what kind of plastic it is but it's pretty
      cheap. Can buy it here (Oz) per sheet or on the roll..

      Wayne
    • Ed Inman
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 13, 2003
        OK--I ordered some Kreene from Boxcar Press and will give it a try. It
        should be here in a day or two.
        Can anyone tell me how this material affects exposure time? Currently my
        exposures are only about 30 seconds under plate glass with a series of six
        UV lamps.
        Ed

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 13, 2003
            The UV Lamps should be about 34 watts, about 2 inch distance to the
            glass plate, I use a harder BASF plate mainly with a deep relief,
            exposer time is about 2.30 min for letterpress plates.

            The vacuum and the flawless contact of the film to the plate is key.
            You can always washout the plate in warm water with a brush from Boxcar
            press.
            charles

            On Nov 13, 2003, at 8:33 AM, Ed Inman wrote:

            > OK--I ordered some Kreene from Boxcar Press and will give it a try. It
            > should be here in a day or two.
            > Can anyone tell me how this material affects exposure time? Currently
            > my
            > exposures are only about 30 seconds under plate glass with a series of
            > six
            > UV lamps.
            > Ed

            ------------------------------------
            L.A Book Arts, Inc.
            The Custom Bindery
            Krause Intaglio
            310.360.7265
            www.Custombindery.com
            ------------------------------------
          • joeleoleol
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 14, 2003
              --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "L.A. Book Arts, Inc"
              <livres@a...> wrote:
              > The UV Lamps should be about 34 watts...

              Aha! This may explain my exposure times of 5 - 6 minutes- when it
              should only take 3-1/2. My bulbs are 20W...

              In answer to Ed's original question, the only way to be sure of your
              exposure is to test using a Stouffer (sp?) scale. It's good to test
              periodically, I am told, to watch for the UV bulbs wearing out. I
              guess they eventually start putting out less and less UV, so you need
              to adjust your exposure times accordingly. The Stouffer scale is a
              little strip of film with halftone-like dots of varying density.

              Joel Benson
              Dependable Letterpress
              San Francisco