RE: [PPLetterpress] Re: Kreene

  • Joel Benson
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 6 9:32 AM
      While we're on the subject, does anyone know who MAKES Kreene? And what is the technical name/specification for that kind of plastic (such as, polyvinylacethane)? Just curious....

      Joel

      Joel Benson
      Dependable Letterpress
      San Francisco
    • cutncrease
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 7 3:58 AM
        > While we're on the subject, does anyone know who MAKES Kreene? And what is the technical name/specification for that kind of plastic (such as, polyvinylacethane)?

        Joel,
        In the US, I think Harold at Boxcar press sell it from their site. Here in Oz, Anderson & Vreeland supply it. Not sure what kind of plastic it is but it's pretty
        cheap. Can buy it here (Oz) per sheet or on the roll..

        Wayne
      • Ed Inman
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 13, 2003
          OK--I ordered some Kreene from Boxcar Press and will give it a try. It
          should be here in a day or two.
          Can anyone tell me how this material affects exposure time? Currently my
          exposures are only about 30 seconds under plate glass with a series of six
          UV lamps.
          Ed

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 13, 2003
              The UV Lamps should be about 34 watts, about 2 inch distance to the
              glass plate, I use a harder BASF plate mainly with a deep relief,
              exposer time is about 2.30 min for letterpress plates.

              The vacuum and the flawless contact of the film to the plate is key.
              You can always washout the plate in warm water with a brush from Boxcar
              press.
              charles

              On Nov 13, 2003, at 8:33 AM, Ed Inman wrote:

              > OK--I ordered some Kreene from Boxcar Press and will give it a try. It
              > should be here in a day or two.
              > Can anyone tell me how this material affects exposure time? Currently
              > my
              > exposures are only about 30 seconds under plate glass with a series of
              > six
              > UV lamps.
              > Ed

              ------------------------------------
              L.A Book Arts, Inc.
              The Custom Bindery
              Krause Intaglio
              310.360.7265
              www.Custombindery.com
              ------------------------------------
            • joeleoleol
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 14, 2003
                --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "L.A. Book Arts, Inc"
                <livres@a...> wrote:
                > The UV Lamps should be about 34 watts...

                Aha! This may explain my exposure times of 5 - 6 minutes- when it
                should only take 3-1/2. My bulbs are 20W...

                In answer to Ed's original question, the only way to be sure of your
                exposure is to test using a Stouffer (sp?) scale. It's good to test
                periodically, I am told, to watch for the UV bulbs wearing out. I
                guess they eventually start putting out less and less UV, so you need
                to adjust your exposure times accordingly. The Stouffer scale is a
                little strip of film with halftone-like dots of varying density.

                Joel Benson
                Dependable Letterpress
                San Francisco