Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Rollers

  • alex brooks
    Message 1 of 14 , May 13, 2005
      re: victor hammer's rollers

      I'm not sure, but I'd say that victor used rubber rollers because all
      the hand rollers at the King Library press are rubber.

      although, hand inking on a washington press would minimize the negative
      qualities of composition rollers

      i'll try to find a more definitive answer
      -alex

      > I'd kind of
      > like to know what Victor Hammer used myself. Likely composition.
    • Austin Jones
      Message 2 of 14 , May 13, 2005
        I have used various rollers and brayers over the years. Plastic and Composition each have their place in the shop. Plastic will last longer and provide consistent size. Composition is unsurpassed in inking qualities. I use composition only where the environment will permit. I use plastic where there is a variation in humidity and temperature.

        All this discussion on rollers and wanting to eliminate Composition from consideration is really confusing to me. If your objective is good, consistent inking, then there is no other choice. I will agree that composition requires more care. You can't leave composition to clean up tomorrow. You must really be committed to take care of the rollers. Plastic rollers are much more forgiving and will work even if abused.

        If a printer is printing from hand set type, plate, or any other raised surface and wants to achieve the best work possible from equipment and printer, Composition Rollers must be considered as a part of the combination.

        I have several composition brayers which are used in conjunction with various flat bed presses. The wooden BobCat, Potter Proof Press or Reliance Proof Press, all are inked using composition brayers of various lengths and diameter. The softness and the tackiness of the material make depositing an even coat of ink on the printing surface an easy job.

        I just installed a set of composition rollers on a C&P 12x18. Work great. The amount of ink on the disk is more easily controlled when the rollers are depositing an even and consistent amount of ink.

        Don't Dismiss The Composition Roller!

        Austin Jones
        prints by AJ
        Point Pleasant, WV
        austin@...
        http://printsbyaj.com

        Message 3 of 14 , May 14, 2005
          Hey Alex

          More importantly, what ink did he use? Best hand presswork I've ever seen.

          Gerald

          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, alex brooks <alexbrooks@U...> wrote:
          > re: victor hammer's rollers
          >
          > I'm not sure, but I'd say that victor used rubber rollers because all
          > the hand rollers at the King Library press are rubber.
          >
          > although, hand inking on a washington press would minimize the negative
          > qualities of composition rollers
          >
          > i'll try to find a more definitive answer
          > -alex
          >
          > > I'd kind of
          > > like to know what Victor Hammer used myself. Likely composition.
        • David Goodrich
          Message 4 of 14 , May 14, 2005
            Theo Rehak has Victor Hammer's press and might know what rollers he used.
            One thing I do know is that he used ingenious roller bearers that could be
            lifted out of the form after inking each impression without disturbing the
            lock-up.
            David.

            More importantly, what ink did he use? Best hand presswork I've ever seen.

            Gerald

            --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, alex brooks <alexbrooks@U...> wrote:
            > re: victor hammer's rollers
            >
            > I'm not sure, but I'd say that victor used rubber rollers because all
            > the hand rollers at the King Library press are rubber.
            >
            > although, hand inking on a washington press would minimize the negative
            > qualities of composition rollers
            >
            > i'll try to find a more definitive answer
            > -alex
            >
            > > I'd kind of
            > > like to know what Victor Hammer used myself. Likely composition.

            Yahoo! Groups Links