Damping

  • Martyn Ould
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6 1:54 AM
      Dear Michael

      I'm in the UK so my supplier of blotting boards is John Purcell Papers.
      According to their catalogue it is a 315gsm machine made cotton content
      blotting paper buffered with calcium carbonate to give a pharmaceutical over
      8.5 with high thickness to weight ratio. I pay about USD0.70 for a 610mm by
      860mm sheet. They also do a 100% cotton acid free blotting but it is nearly
      USD3 for a smaller size. I'm sure any art paper supplier would have
      something to a similar specification. They don't leave any significant
      impression on the paper: there is a little loss of sheen. In this, as in my
      method for damping, I am always guided by Simon Lawrence at Fleece Press,
      whose printing of wood-engravings is recognised as amongst the best. I just
      hope that a little of his technique rubs off :) I use the interleaving
      method: I soak one sheet of the above blotting and lay on top of that N
      sheets of the printing paper, then another soaked blotting, then N sheets
      and so on. N varies according to the weight of the printing paper and the
      dampness I want. N=8 for a heavy handmade, and last year I had N=12 when
      using 175gsm Magnani mouldmade, for instance.

      Best wishes, Martyn Ould

      The Old School Press

      Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 10:27:00 +0000
      From: Michael McGarvey <mcgarvem@...>
      Subject: Re: damping paper

      Dear Martin,

      I have been using Rummonds' method for dampening, but with Davey Board
      dampers.
      But they seem to leave an impression on the sheet, and some discoloration as
      well. The discoloration could be due to my water which is well water and
      contains a lot of iron oxide. I was curious what blotting boards are ? Are
      they
      different from blotting paper used in dampening sheets for etching? Or are
      they
      pulp boards as described in Rummonds book? May I ask where you purchase
      them?
      Another concern is the Neutral PH of the dampening boards. I imagine if the
      boards are not neutral PH, that could have some long term effects on the
      neutral
      PH of the paper.

      Michael McGarvey
      Port Press