Re: Kreene

  • cutncrease
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 6, 2002
      Many thanks to all (Joel, Brian, Tom & Mark) who replied to my kreene query. Sorry about the slow reply but I've email dramas and been trying to get
      the cylinder up and running. Now it's wired up I'm nearly ready to roll. Wouldn't have been possible without the useful advice.

      > My conclusion is that in a vacuum assembly you need one flexible surface and one rigid surface to
      > get a good seal. Rubber vacuum blanket against glass works, Kreene against formica works.

      > BTW, I got my vacuum pump second-hand from Harold Kyle at Boxcar Press and I believe he said he had > a couple more, if you're looking for one.

      Thanks Joel. This was one of the major problems - creating equal vacuum with two flexible surfaces - a nightmare. For the vacuum pump I'm planning on
      plugging into the back of the unit the pump and hose from my Agfa Repromaster which has a PSI guage.

      Brian's advice on how the kreene system works was also really helpful.

      > The kreene was taped to the base at one end and to a metal rod at the
      > other (kreene tightly rolled up) end. the neg/plate was positioned on the
      > bed, the vacuum turned on, and the kreene rolled out over the base. The
      > suction took hold progressively and the weight of the rod (hanging over the
      > front edge of the base) completed the arrangement.

      The response from the glass users was also really useful as it means that most systems will work- it's just a matter of horses for courses.

      Thanks again, I'm going to finish off the vacuum unit today and do some plates next week so I'll keep you informed of how it all went.

      Wayne Davis
    • Joel Benson
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 6, 2002
        While we're on the subject, does anyone know who MAKES Kreene? And what is the technical name/specification for that kind of plastic (such as, polyvinylacethane)? Just curious....

        Joel

        Joel Benson
        Dependable Letterpress
        San Francisco
      • cutncrease
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 7, 2002
          > While we're on the subject, does anyone know who MAKES Kreene? And what is the technical name/specification for that kind of plastic (such as, polyvinylacethane)?

          Joel,
          In the US, I think Harold at Boxcar press sell it from their site. Here in Oz, Anderson & Vreeland supply it. Not sure what kind of plastic it is but it's pretty
          cheap. Can buy it here (Oz) per sheet or on the roll..

          Wayne
        • Ed Inman
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 13, 2003
            OK--I ordered some Kreene from Boxcar Press and will give it a try. It
            should be here in a day or two.
            Can anyone tell me how this material affects exposure time? Currently my
            exposures are only about 30 seconds under plate glass with a series of six
            UV lamps.
            Ed

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 13, 2003
                The UV Lamps should be about 34 watts, about 2 inch distance to the
                glass plate, I use a harder BASF plate mainly with a deep relief,
                exposer time is about 2.30 min for letterpress plates.

                The vacuum and the flawless contact of the film to the plate is key.
                You can always washout the plate in warm water with a brush from Boxcar
                press.
                charles

                On Nov 13, 2003, at 8:33 AM, Ed Inman wrote:

                > OK--I ordered some Kreene from Boxcar Press and will give it a try. It
                > should be here in a day or two.
                > Can anyone tell me how this material affects exposure time? Currently
                > my
                > exposures are only about 30 seconds under plate glass with a series of
                > six
                > UV lamps.
                > Ed

                ------------------------------------
                L.A Book Arts, Inc.
                The Custom Bindery
                Krause Intaglio
                310.360.7265
                www.Custombindery.com
                ------------------------------------
              • joeleoleol
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 14, 2003
                  --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "L.A. Book Arts, Inc"
                  <livres@a...> wrote:
                  > The UV Lamps should be about 34 watts...

                  Aha! This may explain my exposure times of 5 - 6 minutes- when it
                  should only take 3-1/2. My bulbs are 20W...

                  In answer to Ed's original question, the only way to be sure of your
                  exposure is to test using a Stouffer (sp?) scale. It's good to test
                  periodically, I am told, to watch for the UV bulbs wearing out. I
                  guess they eventually start putting out less and less UV, so you need
                  to adjust your exposure times accordingly. The Stouffer scale is a
                  little strip of film with halftone-like dots of varying density.

                  Joel Benson
                  Dependable Letterpress
                  San Francisco