Buying & adjusting fonts (was Font Formats)

  • Farida Bee
    Message 1 of 5 , May 11 1:52 PM
      My experience with the digital environment has been
      limited, thus far, to a PC, Microsoft Office programs,
      and a museum collections database. I�ve had a little
      bit of instruction in Adobe InDesign, Illustrator,
      Photoshop, and Quark Xpress. In terms of digital
      composition (using InDesign), I�ve decided that the
      best approach for me (not yet well versed in digital
      type and associated technical considerations and not
      particularly inclined to alter fonts at this stage in
      my printing life) is to start off by purchasing a
      typeface that was designed specifically for
      letterpress. Do you agree that this is a sound
      approach? dfType�s Rialto Pressa is beautiful and
      would work very well with the projects that I have in
      mind. I received a gracious reply from them and will
      study the information they sent. I searched the
      archives and note there�s information on RP ink traps.
      There were a couple of relevant threads last year that
      were helpful: Digital Typefaces and Typefaces for
      Letterpress. I�ll also take a look at Gerald Lange�s
      Parenthesis article �An Affinity By Design.�

      I�m curious to know what percentage of the membership
      purchases and adjusts fonts. Current polls are related
      to type of presses and flatbases used, activity in
      letterpress, etc. Is this query worthy of a poll?

      I look forward to meeting some PPL members at Gerald�s
      talk at the Clark Library on Saturday.

      Farida Sunada
      Alhambra, California

      Make Yahoo! your home page
      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
    • Richard Kegler
      Message 2 of 5 , May 12 7:33 AM
        On 5/11/05 4:52 PM, "Farida Bee" <faridabee@...> wrote:

        > is to start off by purchasing a
        > typeface that was designed specifically for
        > letterpress.

        Not to use this as an opportunity at a sales pitch, but I would be curious
        if anyone has used some of the Lanston fonts and what results were achieved?

        We have released a couple titles in text and display weights. The display
        weights are true to the weight of the original patterns and punches (which
        then are considered a bit light for digital work) and the text is
        compensated to add a little weight as per most digital fonts.

        The faces we have in both weights are Garamond and Californian:

        http://www.p22.com/Lanston/products/garamont.html

        http://www.p22.com/lanston/products/californian.html

        Making these variations takes a bit more work, and based on response, we may
        or may not continue with the two weights as we re-release the Lanston
        library.

        Input always welcome.

        Cheers

        Richard Kegler
        -----------------------------
        P22 type foundry, Inc.
        Not your typical type
        PO Box 770
        Buffalo, NY 14213
        http://www.p22.com
        Phone: 716-885-4490
        Fax: 716-885-4482
        -----------------------------
        Message 3 of 5 , May 13 7:50 PM
          Farida

          I would definitely recommend the purchase of Rialto. Its beauty is much
          more than skin deep. My understanding is that dfTYPE was also working on
          a second face but I haven't heard further.

          I don't know that a poll would be of much use. I have come to the
          conclusion that printers are quite used to accepting typefaces that are
          given to them and do not consider the possibility that they could or
          should be altered. I think this is basically some form of ingrained
          traditional practice.

          This was certainly not the case during the period of incunabula or for
          those notable printers who commissioned typefaces, beginning with the
          Aldine practice, and beginning again with the private press movement.

          Printers tend not to consider themselves as typographers, much less have
          ever dabbled in type design. I suspect typeface alteration, even though
          the capabilities are now more than abundantly here, and to their
          benefit, may be a bit over the top.

          Gerald

          Farida Bee wrote:

          >My experience with the digital environment has been
          >limited, thus far, to a PC, Microsoft Office programs,
          >and a museum collections database. I’ve had a little
          >bit of instruction in Adobe InDesign, Illustrator,
          >Photoshop, and Quark Xpress. In terms of digital
          >composition (using InDesign), I’ve decided that the
          >best approach for me (not yet well versed in digital
          >type and associated technical considerations and not
          >particularly inclined to alter fonts at this stage in
          >my printing life) is to start off by purchasing a
          >typeface that was designed specifically for
          >letterpress. Do you agree that this is a sound
          >approach? dfType’s Rialto Pressa is beautiful and
          >would work very well with the projects that I have in
          >mind. I received a gracious reply from them and will
          >study the information they sent. I searched the
          >archives and note there’s information on RP ink traps.
          >There were a couple of relevant threads last year that
          >were helpful: Digital Typefaces and Typefaces for
          >Letterpress. I’ll also take a look at Gerald Lange’s
          >Parenthesis article “An Affinity By Design.”
          >
          >I’m curious to know what percentage of the membership
          >purchases and adjusts fonts. Current polls are related
          >to type of presses and flatbases used, activity in
          >letterpress, etc. Is this query worthy of a poll?
          >
          >I look forward to meeting some PPL members at Gerald’s
          >talk at the Clark Library on Saturday.
          >
          >Farida Sunada
          >Alhambra, California

        • Farida Bee
          Message 4 of 5 , May 13 10:24 PM
            Gerald,

            What do you mean by this?

            << I suspect typeface alteration, even though the
            capabilities are now more than abundantly here, and to
            their benefit, may be a bit over the top. >>

            Farida

            __________________________________
            Yahoo! Mail Mobile
            http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail
            Message 5 of 5 , May 14 12:04 AM
              Farida

              Do you mean other than that I specialize in the convoluted sentence?

              We have the resources. They are not being used. Will not be used.

              Maybe a better take on this: At some point in the cold war the Soviets
              banned the photocopy machine. Folks began to copy their manuscripts by
              hand and distribute thusly. Samizdat. I believe that is the spelling
              for this bit of phenomenon. At that time in this country, folks were
              complaining about not being able to get published because of the
              prejudices of the New York publishing mafia. All the while having
              access to photocopy machines.

              Perceived need?

              Gerald