Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: archival inks and papers?

  • John Cornelisse
    Message 1 of 3 , May 11, 2005

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "londonbellman"
      ><londonbellman@y...> wrote:
      > > Hey group,
      > > My questions are : What inks would be considered
      >archival for letterpress work?
      > > Any recommendations as far as color fastness,range of colors
      >available in a product line,
      > > who's inks work the best? I'm sure this is all a matter of
      >preference but your suggestions
      > > are greatly appreciated. Things I've read so far mention that the
      >common inks are rubber
      > > based. I'll be using composition rollers and was wondering what
      >products would work best
      > > in this situation? I also realize sizing in the paper affects the
      >adhesive and coverage of ink
      > > on the papers surface. Does anyone have a favorite rag paper that
      >takes a nice impression
      > > without resisting? Thanks again... Regards, London

      London,

      VanSon still produces a few old style letterpress inks, though
      offset-inks like their panthone-series in tubes behave too
      nicely on letterpress. As I experienced.

      Offset-inks contain a lot more pigment, than old-style inks for letterpress
      some decades ago.

      Composition-rolls, that's aq bit oldfashioned and old-style.

      If you are willing to use a few extra sets of rolls, because the behaviour
      of composition in winter and summer... When the humidity of the air and the
      overall temperature changes, the diameter of these rolls will alter too.

      So in the past, most printers had extra sets of rolls. And not only because
      the need for clean rolls doing colour-printing. (Printing yellow with rolls
      used for black... is quite a cleaning-job.)

      So using composition...

      you will need extra work, adjusting the pressure of the rolls,
      when ever the season changes. Or the installation of an air-conditioning.

      By the way, keep your composition-rolls away from rodents.

      Those rolls are perfect food for mice and rats:
      sugar, glycerine & gelatine from bone-glue...

      A friend of mine can tell you more about this.

      Rubber-rolls do the same job, and presently the rubber can be produced
      in many grades. Soft or hard or in between, you can get it all.

      The price of composition compared with rubber-coated rolls, that's no reason
      for using composition either.

      Best wishes

      John Cornelisse

      Letter-press & Typefounding, Monotype-composition

      Vaartstraat 23
      4553 AN Philippine
      (Zeeuws Vlaanderen)
      The Netherlands
      + 31 - (0) 115 - 491184
      email: enkidu@...

      So she spoke to him and her word found favour,
      he knew by instinct, he should seek a friend.