Re: Font Formats

    Message 1 of 6 , May 8 3:05 PM
      FYI on TT in the PS environment:

      A tech at Apple has informed me that when a TT font is sent to a
      PostScript printer (or imagesetter) it normally, dependent upon the
      printer routines, has to be "converted" to a form of PostScript. In
      most cases this would be a font format called PostScript Type 42 (a
      co-development of Apple and Adobe), which is essentially a functional
      PostScript "wrapper," similar in kind to the OpenType "wrapper" both
      PS1 and TT are given in the OT environment. Other than that, it's not
      a case of one being inferior to the other or vice versa, just a matter
      of functionality in any given environment.

      Gerald
      http://Bielerpress.blogspot.com
      Message 2 of 6 , May 23 10:46 AM
        Published last Thursday in Voice: AIGA Journal of Design was a very
        comprehensive history of digital type design, "The Digital Past: When
        Typefaces Were Experimental" by Paul Shaw. It reveals the intricacies
        of how the evolving technology has influenced typeface designs.

        http://voice.aiga.org/content.cfm?ContentAlias=_getfullarticle&aid=%23%2C%3EO%24%0A