Re: Font formats

    Message 1 of 10 , May 5, 2005
      Mark

      Given what you have, an imac and Illustrator, I would buy similar
      fonts to what your clients have a need for. If you are using a pre-CS
      version of Illustrator (CS apps don't work in the old Mac classic
      system) then you would need either PS1 or TT. I only recommend TT
      because I'm assuming these might be part of what your clients have.

      If you are running in OSX and have one of the later versions of
      Illustrator (CS) go with OT. But again, it depends on, in this case,
      what your clients have. CS apps will recognize any of these formats.

      Don't know if this is of interest but if you still have a pre-OSX
      system (I'm not sure it works in OSX, never tried it), you can easily
      change TT to PS1 (and convert from platform to platform) in
      Fontographer which sells for about $120. With the merger between Adobe
      and Macromedia I'm not sure how long Fontographer will be available
      though. Likely it will disappear quite soon. If you do go that route I
      have some very quick and assured "sequences" for conversion that I can
      send you. If you have only a OSX system, a convertor, TransType, is
      available from FontLab.

      Because of licensing restrictions, your client can supply you with
      their fonts, but you are required to remove them from your drive upon
      completion of the project (just like a service bureau would do). One
      user/one drive; in theory.

      Gerald

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, innererklang@a... wrote:
      > Gerald--
      > Thank you for the short course in Font Formats. I guess I should
      back up a
      > bit and ask a simpler question. I'm not looking to alter fonts (in
      the near
      > future anyway). It is just that in this computer age more and more
      customers come
      > in with a font available on their computer that they want me to
      duplicate. I
      > have Illustrator, so I can set type in a reasonable fashion. But if
      I want to