Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Font formats

  • alex brooks
    Message 1 of 10 , May 5, 2005
      Here is my point of view - as a young graphic designer and letterpress
      printer-

      the main difference (to me) between TT and PostScript fonts is that TT
      fonts are bitmap based and PS are vector based. So postscripts are
      infinitely scalable and will always look smooth.

      the real benefit of OT, on the other hand, is ease of use. Especially
      in book design. I am used to setting type by hand, making everything
      perfect. The computer is supposed to simplify, but if you want
      everything to be perfect you have to go through and change figures to
      another font, change ligatures to another font, etc. All of this done
      by manually takes a long time and is tedious. With OT this should be
      done automatically. Additionally, with PS fonts, you can have a list of
      12 or so fonts in your font browser (all the different variants) while
      the OT font will be listed as one font with 12 variants. If you are
      dealing with a lot of fonts this is extremely valuable as you don't
      have to scroll through a hundred fonts.

      I've found that with InDesign it is very easy to implement these
      features, however I haven't used older programs wit OT fonts.
      i have no problem with buying a few OT faces if they are indeed an
      improvement (it's a lot cheaper than metal type anyway)

      -alex
      press eight seventeen
      lexington, ky

      Message 2 of 10 , May 5, 2005
        Mark

        Given what you have, an imac and Illustrator, I would buy similar
        fonts to what your clients have a need for. If you are using a pre-CS
        version of Illustrator (CS apps don't work in the old Mac classic
        system) then you would need either PS1 or TT. I only recommend TT
        because I'm assuming these might be part of what your clients have.

        If you are running in OSX and have one of the later versions of
        Illustrator (CS) go with OT. But again, it depends on, in this case,
        what your clients have. CS apps will recognize any of these formats.

        Don't know if this is of interest but if you still have a pre-OSX
        system (I'm not sure it works in OSX, never tried it), you can easily
        change TT to PS1 (and convert from platform to platform) in
        Fontographer which sells for about $120. With the merger between Adobe
        and Macromedia I'm not sure how long Fontographer will be available
        though. Likely it will disappear quite soon. If you do go that route I
        have some very quick and assured "sequences" for conversion that I can
        send you. If you have only a OSX system, a convertor, TransType, is
        available from FontLab.

        Because of licensing restrictions, your client can supply you with
        their fonts, but you are required to remove them from your drive upon
        completion of the project (just like a service bureau would do). One
        user/one drive; in theory.

        Gerald

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, innererklang@a... wrote:
        > Gerald--
        > Thank you for the short course in Font Formats. I guess I should
        back up a
        > bit and ask a simpler question. I'm not looking to alter fonts (in
        the near
        > future anyway). It is just that in this computer age more and more
        customers come
        > in with a font available on their computer that they want me to
        duplicate. I
        > have Illustrator, so I can set type in a reasonable fashion. But if
        I want to