Font formats

    Message 1 of 10 , May 4, 2005
      There is a current discussion going on over at T-D

      http://type-design.p90.net/

      among type designers over what has happened or will happen to
      Fontographer now that Adobe has absorbed Macromedia. And how could FOG
      possibly remain viable unless it was re-built from the ground up?

      It occurred to me, in reviewing the discussion, that most type
      designers must have the latest hardware and software because they sure
      seem to think the general public has the latest system version whether
      it be PC or Mac, that we are all running Adobe CS apps, that we are
      all using OT fonts. That we all have our ears intently to the ground
      and are attuned to the newer than the newest. Problem is, we aren't.

      Quite frankly, I don't think the general public or even most of the
      computer savy folks out there know the difference between a TT, PS1,
      or OT font format, or have ever even heard of the more advanced MM or
      GX technologies. I know everytime I have to send something out to a
      service bureau they require PS1, everytime I have to send something to
      a book manufacturer they require PS1. And even though many new type
      designs are being offered in OT, it still is not a viable format as
      most currently used apps don't recognize it.

      I also know that most people don't buy fonts, they use what the
      operating system gives them as part of the purchase, or what various
      apps give them as part of the purchase or . . .

      Because of this, to a great extant, we are completely at the mercy of
      the major software suppliers. If we all begin to use OT fonts, for the
      most part it will be because there are no other options, not because
      we made the choice. But on T-D there seems to be little awareness of
      how long this transition takes. Someone mentioned somewhere that
      computer hardware/software stabilizations have the lifespan of more
      than a rat and less than a cat. PS1 is over a decade and a half old,
      TT is over a decade, and OT about half a decade. And the latter is
      establishing itself painfully slow.

      Over the years I've accumulated a huge library of PS1 fonts and was
      greatly concerned as to how I would be able to convert these to OT to
      remain viable. I even have the conversion software. But I'm still
      waiting for a reason to do so.

      Gerald
    • innererklang@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , May 4, 2005
        Gerald--
        I'm fairly new to computers (and fairly old to letterpress, some 25 odd
        years). Reading your last post I realized (and have been realizing for some time)
        that I am completely lost to the jargon/abbreviations. I don't know my OTs
        from my P1S (or whatever it was). Is there a book that covers this stuff in a
        readable/understandable way?
        I'm not being critical, just trying to expand my horizons.

        Mark Olson

      • Fritz Klinke
        Message 3 of 10 , May 4, 2005
          I wonder if the printers of the 1880s went through this same amount of anguish
          when the type foundries changed to the point system, rendering thousands of
          fonts of bastard sizes incompatible with the new standardized system adopted by
          all the American type companies? My sincere sympathies to our electronically
          challenged brethren.

          F.

          > There is a current discussion going on over at T-D
          >
          > http://type-design.p90.net/
          >
          > among type designers over what has happened or will happen to
          > Fontographer now that Adobe has absorbed Macromedia. And how could FOG
          > possibly remain viable unless it was re-built from the ground up?
          >
          > It occurred to me, in reviewing the discussion, that most type
          > designers must have the latest hardware and software because they sure
          > seem to think the general public has the latest system version whether
          > it be PC or Mac, that we are all running Adobe CS apps, that we are
          > all using OT fonts. That we all have our ears intently to the ground
          > and are attuned to the newer than the newest. Problem is, we aren't.
          >
          > Quite frankly, I don't think the general public or even most of the
          > computer savy folks out there know the difference between a TT, PS1,
          > or OT font format, or have ever even heard of the more advanced MM or
          > GX technologies. I know everytime I have to send something out to a
          > service bureau they require PS1, everytime I have to send something to
          > a book manufacturer they require PS1. And even though many new type
          > designs are being offered in OT, it still is not a viable format as
          > most currently used apps don't recognize it.
          >
          > I also know that most people don't buy fonts, they use what the
          > operating system gives them as part of the purchase, or what various
          > apps give them as part of the purchase or . . .
          >
          > Because of this, to a great extant, we are completely at the mercy of
          > the major software suppliers. If we all begin to use OT fonts, for the
          > most part it will be because there are no other options, not because
          > we made the choice. But on T-D there seems to be little awareness of
          > how long this transition takes. Someone mentioned somewhere that
          > computer hardware/software stabilizations have the lifespan of more
          > than a rat and less than a cat. PS1 is over a decade and a half old,
          > TT is over a decade, and OT about half a decade. And the latter is
          > establishing itself painfully slow.
          >
          > Over the years I've accumulated a huge library of PS1 fonts and was
          > greatly concerned as to how I would be able to convert these to OT to
          > remain viable. I even have the conversion software. But I'm still
          > waiting for a reason to do so.

        • Ludwig M. Solzen
          Message 4 of 10 , May 4, 2005
            Mark

            Sure a lot of books on the topic can be suggested. I'd be pleased too if
            someone could offer an exhaustive, yet comprehensive bibliography on
            different (digital) font technologies available and in use today.

            As an introduction, however, I can highly recommend the 10 page article of
            Thomas W. Phinney (Adobe): "TrueType, PostScript Type 1, & OpenType: What's
            the Difference?" (Version 2.22, December 5, 2002) You can download the pdf
            at http://www.font.to/downloads/TT_PS_OT.pdf.

            I recognize Gerald's concerns about backward compatibility and usability
            regarding the high-speed evolution of computer technology. But holding too
            much to outdated technologies hinders progress. As for fonts, I'm not afraid
            this progress could ever be too speedy. Exchanging layout files with service
            bureaus or printers *was* indeed a painstaking undertaking, because of using
            other hardware, programs and font libraries. (I'm still horrified thinking
            of the experiences I had with several printers: my PC GoudyOS PostScript
            font suddenly lost it's ligatures, the text fitting no longer &c.) But those
            days are gladly over, thanks to Adobe's Portable Document File format.
            Whatever program you are used working with, whatever font format: simply
            (hm) export your layout into a pdf (doing it the right way) and it will be
            processed as you set it. If compatibility of formats is thus no longer an
            issue, what keeps you from using yourself the best (i.c. fairly the latest)
            technologies available? Why using PS1 fonts, going over and over your text
            lines until all the ligatures and small caps are consequently implemented
            from an overcomplicated expert font? Why not using OpenType features to
            change default lining into old style figures, by one simple mouse click? And
            what about opticals &c if you stick with PS1? If using OT, GX or MM requires
            adequate software, update your system; if your customer or service bureau
            doesn't want to invest in newer technologies, at least they can download
            Acrobat Reader for free. If in the old days a printing studio wanted to
            achieve the best quality, a Monotype or Linotype was the right investment.
            As for that, not much is changed in the digital age. Only with this great
            advantage that a newer version of your hardware, os or layout software is
            not as big an investment as the acquisition of a Linotype was in the 1930s.
            And buying the matrices for a the fount one was used to set by hand, sure
            was more expensive than downloading the newest OT version of your favourite
            Bembo.

            http://www.font.to/downloads/TT_PS_OT.pdfLudwig
          • Regis Graden

              Message 6 of 10 , May 4, 2005
                Mark

                I doubt you'd want to read a book on the subject as it is not exactly
                light reading matter. Ludwig's reference should be enough I'd think.

                My concerns here are in relation to letterpress application.

                PostScript Type 1 (PS1) has been the font format standard since it was
                unlicensed by Adobe in the late 1980s. It has long been the high-end
                format that you would use for print production and, in our case, for
                generating film negatives. Fonts in this format can be edited for
                letterpress configuration in both Fontographer and FontLab.

                TrueType (TT) was developed by Apple for Microsoft and was released in
                the early 1990s. It is largely all purpose but is not often used for
                high end applications. Its longevity has been quite assured by web-
                based applications.

                Multiple Masters (MM) are a variant of PS1 that allowed for user
                interpolation. A user could creat innumerable variations of these
                fonts between the "parent" fonts provided. I use these quite a bit but
                Adobe discontinued the format when it switched from PS1 to OT. Not
                many MM designs were produced as they were hardly applicable to the
                general user. MM fonts only work well in the classic Mac system not
                OSX. Several type designers still use the format as a tool. I recently
                received a beta of a very nice Didot that is still in MM format. And,
                there is some rumor that Linotype is apparently introducing several
                new MM designs for the Tiger version of the Mac OSX.

                Quick Draw GX (GX) was a highly advanced format that supported a
                number of typographic niceties and was developed by Apple in the early
                to mid 1990s and though several foundries produced GX fonts, including
                Apple, Linotype, and Adobe (though none by the latter were released),
                the format failed when Apple could not convince developers to support
                it in their applications (primarily Adobe). GX was recognized by
                Fontographer as TT (it was based on the TT format) so you could
                actually configure them.

                OpenType (OT) was jointly developed by Adobe and Microsoft and the
                first fonts in this format started appearing a few years ago. OT is
                unicode based as well as a cross-platform format. That is its
                significant difference. Both PS1 and TT types can be implemented as OT
                but would need to be "wrapped" in an OT shell. In other words, you can
                use them in OT aware applications (for the time being). OT can be
                configured in FontLab. But OpenType is experiencing the same problems
                that faced Apple's GX. Other than Adobe and Microsoft there has been
                insignificant application support by third party developers (only the
                most recent versions of Acrobat recognize it.) One of the reasons for
                that is that OT is still not a completely standardized format. And,
                except for new font designs, there is also significant resistance on
                the part of the font buying public as switching from older formats to
                OT will eventually require conversion (as soon as Microsoft gets sick
                and tired of supporting TT; Adobe has already abandoned new offerings
                in PS1).

                At some point you will find that the older formats are no longer
                supported. In other words, you are going to have to buy all your
                favorite fonts all over again, unless you can satisfactorily convert
                them. At this point the only commercially available application that
                can do that is FontLab's TransType Pro. I haven't yet tested it so I
                don't know how reliable it is.

                Gerald

                Message 7 of 10 , May 4, 2005
                  Actually, changes in type technologies have been devastating to the
                  type industry ever since the introduction of the point system. I can
                  easily think of more that followed.

                  The pantograph matrix cutter and machine composition machines did a
                  bit of damage to previous metal foundry type designs (the turn of the
                  century had to be a complete mess to the average printer yet filled
                  with such promise).

                  Ultimately photo-film wiped out all efforts at metal type designs on
                  both the part of the foundries and machine composition (and from what
                  I have read this was hardly unwelcomed by printers or even type
                  designers, notoriously, Goudy for one).

                  And then there was proprietary analog. . .

                  Digital type technologies cleaned the slate completely and turned the
                  industry on its head. Very few established typography firms survived
                  this transition.

                  The "font wars" in digital began right from the get go. But
                  collectively (and my point in posting), the long run of the PostScript
                  Type 1 format allowed for the accumulation of large font libraries and
                  for the resurrection of historical designs. This is actually of some
                  significant consideration. And the new kid on the block is a bit of a
                  high-roller.

                  OpenType fonts are not easy to produce, and because of them we will
                  see far fewer new foundries, more foundries dropping by the wayside,
                  and consolidation of assets between foundries. Nor are there
                  established standards for OT's varieties, and more and more despite
                  the early praise of its cross-platform capabilites, the major
                  operating system providers, Microsoft and Apple, are not playing ball
                  in this regard. Conversion of previous formats or compatability is
                  hardly a consideration for these folks, or any of the other
                  manufacturers of font technology, as there is no profit in it for
                  them. They would just as soon sell new software and hardware and
                  provide the fonts to go with them, and they would just as soon not
                  have to deal with backward compatibility (when have they?).

                  And, of course, there is yet another font format headed down that
                  night road.

                  The access to affordable quality type that we "all" have recently
                  enjoyed and benefited from over the last decade and a half, is slowly
                  going to ebb away. Note that I am not opposed to this, it is simply
                  the direction the industry is headed.

                  And, as that changes, so will this little activity of ours. I don't
                  doubt for a minute that the scrapings of immutable metal type
                  technology will survive the photopolymer plate process but there will
                  be far far fewer folks "practicing" letterpress when that day comes.

                  Gerald

                • innererklang@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 5, 2005
                    Gerald--
                    Thank you for the short course in Font Formats. I guess I should back up a
                    bit and ask a simpler question. I'm not looking to alter fonts (in the near
                    future anyway). It is just that in this computer age more and more customers come
                    in with a font available on their computer that they want me to duplicate. I
                    have Illustrator, so I can set type in a reasonable fashion. But if I want to
                    expand my repetoir, offer new types--what format should I be looking at to
                    purchase? (I use an imac).

                    Thanks so much for the time you are willing to spend on this list.

                    Mark Olson
                    Innerer Klang Letterpress

                  • alex brooks
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 5, 2005
                      Here is my point of view - as a young graphic designer and letterpress
                      printer-

                      the main difference (to me) between TT and PostScript fonts is that TT
                      fonts are bitmap based and PS are vector based. So postscripts are
                      infinitely scalable and will always look smooth.

                      the real benefit of OT, on the other hand, is ease of use. Especially
                      in book design. I am used to setting type by hand, making everything
                      perfect. The computer is supposed to simplify, but if you want
                      everything to be perfect you have to go through and change figures to
                      another font, change ligatures to another font, etc. All of this done
                      by manually takes a long time and is tedious. With OT this should be
                      done automatically. Additionally, with PS fonts, you can have a list of
                      12 or so fonts in your font browser (all the different variants) while
                      the OT font will be listed as one font with 12 variants. If you are
                      dealing with a lot of fonts this is extremely valuable as you don't
                      have to scroll through a hundred fonts.

                      I've found that with InDesign it is very easy to implement these
                      features, however I haven't used older programs wit OT fonts.
                      i have no problem with buying a few OT faces if they are indeed an
                      improvement (it's a lot cheaper than metal type anyway)

                      -alex
                      press eight seventeen
                      lexington, ky

                      Message 10 of 10 , May 5, 2005
                        Mark

                        Given what you have, an imac and Illustrator, I would buy similar
                        fonts to what your clients have a need for. If you are using a pre-CS
                        version of Illustrator (CS apps don't work in the old Mac classic
                        system) then you would need either PS1 or TT. I only recommend TT
                        because I'm assuming these might be part of what your clients have.

                        If you are running in OSX and have one of the later versions of
                        Illustrator (CS) go with OT. But again, it depends on, in this case,
                        what your clients have. CS apps will recognize any of these formats.

                        Don't know if this is of interest but if you still have a pre-OSX
                        system (I'm not sure it works in OSX, never tried it), you can easily
                        change TT to PS1 (and convert from platform to platform) in
                        Fontographer which sells for about $120. With the merger between Adobe
                        and Macromedia I'm not sure how long Fontographer will be available
                        though. Likely it will disappear quite soon. If you do go that route I
                        have some very quick and assured "sequences" for conversion that I can
                        send you. If you have only a OSX system, a convertor, TransType, is
                        available from FontLab.

                        Because of licensing restrictions, your client can supply you with
                        their fonts, but you are required to remove them from your drive upon
                        completion of the project (just like a service bureau would do). One
                        user/one drive; in theory.

                        Gerald