Re: Monotype Foundation

  • Paul W Romaine
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 22, 2005
      Gerald, thanks for this announcement.

      Although it's mentioned only briefly in the press release, the
      Monotype Foundation has already started providing grants.
      ("[E]ducational scholarships, research programs, seminars and projects
      focused on the typographic arts. The foundation will also provide
      grants to educational institutions, libraries and museums dedicated to
      the typographic arts.")

      The Monotype Foundation has graciously funded a panel discussion to
      accompany the May 21 APHA Lieberman Memorial Lecture at the Newberry
      Library, featuring type designer John Downer. John has selected one of
      the most interesting titles for a Lieberman Lecture, "Trash or
      Fertilizer? The Uses (or Not) of History in Type Design." There's more
      information about the lecture and panel discussion on the APHA website:
      http://www.printinghistory.org/htm/misc/lieberman/2004.html

      Based on my talks with Alan Haley of the Foundation, I think the
      Foundation will be a source of genuinely interesting events, and may
      produce a substantial publication legacy as well.

      Paul
      (who also serves as APHA's VP for Programs)
      (Yours truly proposed Downer's title as a joke, figuring no one would
      *ever* use it--oy!--hoisted on my own petard, I am!)