Re: [PPLetterpress] Kreene?

  • Brian Allen
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 3 7:34 PM
      Wayne -
      I once had a home made exposure system and then later a used machine from
      Anderson & Vreeland. The kreene on the A&V machine covered all the holes in
      the metal vacuum base. The suction of the pump was so strong there was no
      need for any other seal - about 25 psi as I recall. It created a very tight
      bond. The kreene was taped to the base at one end and to a metal rod at the
      other (kreene tightly rolled up) end. the neg/plate was positioned on the
      bed, the vacuum turned on, and the kreene rolled out over the base. The
      suction took hold progressively and the weight of the rod (hanging over the
      front edge of the base) completed the arrangement.
      My home made system was of plywood base, 1x1 inch spacers around the edge,
      and pegboard top, screwed together and sealed with silicone rubber. An
      opening was left in the 1x1 space for the "edging" tool of a hand held Dust
      Devil type vacuum cleaner. The suction of that was actually too much, bowing
      the pegboard, so I opened up some holes of the pegboard. I used clear
      acetate to hold the neg/plate (this was before I knew of the kreene), and
      the static charge it created was awful, bad plates resulting from dust
      covering serifs, etc.
      In both cases the lighting was a closely spaced set of fluorescent bulbs,
      about 2 inches above the exposure frame.
      Hope this helps - I'd be happy to answer further questions.
      Brian Allen
      Mountain View, California
      -------

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 3 9:10 PM
        In a message dated 3/3/2002 wayne@... writes:
        << kreene or pvc instead of glass (which I understand absorbs important UVA)

        Hi Wayne,
        I don't believe using glass is a problem due to absorbing too much UV light.
        I have been getting good plates from a home set-up using a glass-covered
        vaccuum frame. Kreene may provide better contact between the negative and the
        plate, however. The problem I had with the glass is that the vaccuum
        apparently bends the glass slightly and thus may cause uneven contact between
        the neg and the plate. Following someone's suggestion on Letpress or PP
        lists, I tried placing pieces of matboard around the plate material, under
        the glass (about the same thickness as the neg and plate material together).
        This supports the glass during vaccuum and has solved the uneven contact.

        My 4 UV flourescent bulbs are about 1 1/2 inches above the plates. Exposure
        time is about 2 1/2 to 3 minutes depending on image detail and design. Sounds
        like you are making a bigger system. Mostly I'm making small plates, most
        less than 5x7, have done a few larger 8x10, though I often expose numerous
        smaller plates at the same time, frequently an 8 1/2 x 11 negative with
        multiple plates under it. I fit in the matboard all around and between the
        plates. (Note also: some difference in hand-washout between small and larger
        plates...).

        I'm glad to hear of others' exposure experience -- I was about to try kreene
        but found the glass unit works fine for me now.
        Let us know how it works for you! Tom

        Tom Parson
        Now It's Up To You Publications
        157 S. Logan, Denver CO 80209
        (303) 777-8951
        http://members.aol.com/typetom
      • Mark Attwood
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 4 1:01 AM
          Wayne wrote:,
          > I don't believe using glass is a problem due to absorbing too much UV light.
          > I have been getting good plates from a home set-up using a glass-covered
          > vaccuum frame.

          I tot use a glass vacuum frame and find that I get really good sharp plates.
          I had one very large plate made by a company who uses the kreene cover, and
          find that my plates are just as sharp and print as well.

          regards,
          Mark.

          Mark Attwood

          The Artists' Press
          Box 623
          Newtown
          2113
          South Africa

          Tel. +27 11 836 5474
          fax. +27 11 836 6858
          mark@...

          ----------
          >From: typetom@...
          >To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [PPLetterpress] Kreene?
          >Date: Mon, Mar 4, 2002, 5:10 am
          >

          > In a message dated 3/3/2002 wayne@... writes:
          > << kreene or pvc instead of glass (which I understand absorbs important UVA)
          >>>

          > Hi Wayne,
          > I don't believe using glass is a problem due to absorbing too much UV light.
          > I have been getting good plates from a home set-up using a glass-covered
          > vaccuum frame. Kreene may provide better contact between the negative and the
          > plate, however. The problem I had with the glass is that the vaccuum
          > apparently bends the glass slightly and thus may cause uneven contact between
          > the neg and the plate. Following someone's suggestion on Letpress or PP
          > lists, I tried placing pieces of matboard around the plate material, under
          > the glass (about the same thickness as the neg and plate material together).
          > This supports the glass during vaccuum and has solved the uneven contact.
          >
          > My 4 UV flourescent bulbs are about 1 1/2 inches above the plates. Exposure
          > time is about 2 1/2 to 3 minutes depending on image detail and design. Sounds
          > like you are making a bigger system. Mostly I'm making small plates, most
          > less than 5x7, have done a few larger 8x10, though I often expose numerous
          > smaller plates at the same time, frequently an 8 1/2 x 11 negative with
          > multiple plates under it. I fit in the matboard all around and between the
          > plates. (Note also: some difference in hand-washout between small and larger
          > plates...).
          >
          > I'm glad to hear of others' exposure experience -- I was about to try kreene
          > but found the glass unit works fine for me now.
          > Let us know how it works for you! Tom
          >
          > Tom Parson
          > Now It's Up To You Publications
          > 157 S. Logan, Denver CO 80209
          > (303) 777-8951
          > http://members.aol.com/typetom
          >
          > To respond to this message or post a message to the membership:
          > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
          >
          > Encountering problems?
          > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com

        • Joel Benson
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 4 9:50 AM
            Hi Wayne,

            I just spent all weekend working on the same project! I have a NuArc exposure unit of some kind that I'm modifying to do photopolymer with. I built a vacuum table to put in the box that I modeled on the Polimero one that I used to use.

            I mounted a scrap of formica on a piece of plywood (I would think a piece of old countertop or even that melamine that they make cheap furniture out of would do) and then scored a grid into the surface with a router. Careful not to run the scores off the edge of the formica, keep an edge of about an inch. I drilled five 1/8" holes through crosspoints in the formica, and ran the vacuum hose to the five holes.

            Brian Allen is right about the suction being enough to hold the Kreene down. Every now and then you may get a wrinkle in the Kreene that you have to weight down with a lead slug, but other than that...

            I tried using the Kreene on top of a rubber vacuum blanket that came in the exposure unit, and that is designed to be pulled up against glass by the suction. I couldn't get it to seal, even with the Kreene mounted in the frame that had held the glass. My conclusion is that in a vacuum assembly you need one flexible surface and one rigid surface to get a good seal. Rubber vacuum blanket against glass works, Kreene against formica works.

            I'm more comfortable making the plates under Kreene because that is how I learned to do it. I'm glad to hear that others have figured out how to do it consistently with glass, and I've taken notes for the future. It is nice to know there isn't only one way to do it.

            BTW, I got my vacuum pump second-hand from Harold Kyle at Boxcar Press and I believe he said he had a couple more, if you're looking for one.

            Joel

            Joel Benson
            Dependable Letterpress
            San Francisco