Re: [PPLetterpress] C&P Pilot with Base

  • Fritz Klinke
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 3, 2002
      The tape we sell for raising the rail height is removable, but it is a hard
      plastic with a very effective adhesive so that the tape will not deform as
      will masking tape or electrician's tape, both of which are stop-gap measures
      at best. The bed rails have to be clean and free of oil and grease.

      I personally think, that besides having the bed rails in the correct height
      ratio to the rollers to be at type high, assuming the material being printed
      is also type high, that the condition of the inking rollers is most
      critical. We have rollers from platens, cylinders, Vandercooks coming in our
      shop on a daily basis. It appears that most printers run their rollers into
      the ground before they accept the fact that the roller is shot and has to be
      replaced. We furnish new cores on most of the platen press rollers except
      Kluge and Heidelberg, as new cores are straight and true, and used ones tend
      to be warped. This is picked up on the finishing equipment in a roller shop
      where the final grind is done on what is essentially a lathe, and rollers to
      be true have to have concentric cores. Rollers swell, shrink, and do all
      sorts of things over their life span, all of which is affected by the type
      of solvent used, the size and type of material being inked, temperature in
      the shop, press speed, etc.

      Fritz Klinke, NA Graphics
      1314 Greene Street, P.O. Box 467
      Silverton, Colorado 81433 USA
      970-387-0212, fax 970-387-0127
      nagraph@...

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 4, 2002
        I have two heights of Lexan base; .850" for my plastic based .065"
        mylar backed plates, and .750" for my metal backed .165" plates. An
        allowance of .003" is made for the mounting tape.

        Furniture is usually .625 or 16 MM high; slugs and leads being two
        heights, low and ludlow, the measurements of which excape me at the
        moment.

        SMK
        --- mijayoga1 <lalaura2@...> wrote:
        > Hi, I have a problem. I bought a Boxcar base from Boxcar Press but
        > my
        > rollers on my C&P pilot are hitting the entire base not just the
        > image
        > on the plate I put on it. Are rollers adjustable on a C&P pilot?
        >
        > What is the exact height measurement of furniture, leading, etc? It
        > seems that the base is just a weeensy bit higher than the base of my
        > type which I used to measure it against....
        >
        > Thanks

        =====
        Pagan, Pagan, what are you finding?

        From the book, Charge of the Goddess