RE: [PPLetterpress] C&P Pilot with Base

  • David Goodrich
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 3, 2002
      Tom,
      I for one appreciated having your comments sent to the list as I too have
      been plagued by similar inking problems (for other reasons) on my Columbian
      No. 2.

      The height of the printing surface over the shoulder of a photopolymer plate
      is much less than with type so that roller bulge can ink the shoulder very
      easily. The real answer is probably a harder roller but few of us are going
      to have a selection to choose from. The alternative is to raise the roller
      above its normal level for type. NA Graphics sells a special tape to apply
      to roller tracks for this purpose. I believe it is intended to be permanent
      so not a good answer if you plan to revert to printing from type. I have
      raised rollers by taping strips of cardboard to the tracks with black
      electrical tape. Masking tape is pretty thin and has an irregular surface
      so I would not think it would be as good.

      You might also want to consider some sort of roller bearers locked into your
      chase. 18 point brass rule is usually recommended but wood rule or
      miscellaneous wood border or even type would work. I have resorted to this
      because my tracks are badly worn. The bearers also may need to be raised.
      I would suggest using a cardstock underlay.

      I am in process of working out a similar roller bulge problem working with
      photopolymer plates on my handpress and will report back when I have reached
      a satisfactory solution. My initial finding has been that type-high roller
      bearers result in the roller bulge inking the shoulder of the plates.

      David

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 3, 2002
        The tape we sell for raising the rail height is removable, but it is a hard
        plastic with a very effective adhesive so that the tape will not deform as
        will masking tape or electrician's tape, both of which are stop-gap measures
        at best. The bed rails have to be clean and free of oil and grease.

        I personally think, that besides having the bed rails in the correct height
        ratio to the rollers to be at type high, assuming the material being printed
        is also type high, that the condition of the inking rollers is most
        critical. We have rollers from platens, cylinders, Vandercooks coming in our
        shop on a daily basis. It appears that most printers run their rollers into
        the ground before they accept the fact that the roller is shot and has to be
        replaced. We furnish new cores on most of the platen press rollers except
        Kluge and Heidelberg, as new cores are straight and true, and used ones tend
        to be warped. This is picked up on the finishing equipment in a roller shop
        where the final grind is done on what is essentially a lathe, and rollers to
        be true have to have concentric cores. Rollers swell, shrink, and do all
        sorts of things over their life span, all of which is affected by the type
        of solvent used, the size and type of material being inked, temperature in
        the shop, press speed, etc.

        Fritz Klinke, NA Graphics
        1314 Greene Street, P.O. Box 467
        Silverton, Colorado 81433 USA
        970-387-0212, fax 970-387-0127
        nagraph@...

        > I for one appreciated having your comments sent to the list as I too have
        > been plagued by similar inking problems (for other reasons) on my
        Columbian
        > No. 2.
        >
        > The height of the printing surface over the shoulder of a photopolymer
        plate
        > is much less than with type so that roller bulge can ink the shoulder very
        > easily. The real answer is probably a harder roller but few of us are
        going
        > to have a selection to choose from. The alternative is to raise the
        roller
        > above its normal level for type. NA Graphics sells a special tape to
        apply
        > to roller tracks for this purpose. I believe it is intended to be
        permanent
        > so not a good answer if you plan to revert to printing from type. I have
        > raised rollers by taping strips of cardboard to the tracks with black
        > electrical tape. Masking tape is pretty thin and has an irregular surface
        > so I would not think it would be as good.
      • Silver MayKitten
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 4, 2002
          I have two heights of Lexan base; .850" for my plastic based .065"
          mylar backed plates, and .750" for my metal backed .165" plates. An
          allowance of .003" is made for the mounting tape.

          Furniture is usually .625 or 16 MM high; slugs and leads being two
          heights, low and ludlow, the measurements of which excape me at the
          moment.

          SMK
          --- mijayoga1 <lalaura2@...> wrote:
          > Hi, I have a problem. I bought a Boxcar base from Boxcar Press but
          > my
          > rollers on my C&P pilot are hitting the entire base not just the
          > image
          > on the plate I put on it. Are rollers adjustable on a C&P pilot?
          >
          > What is the exact height measurement of furniture, leading, etc? It
          > seems that the base is just a weeensy bit higher than the base of my
          > type which I used to measure it against....
          >
          > Thanks

          =====
          Pagan, Pagan, what are you finding?

          From the book, Charge of the Goddess