Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Binding, Boxing &c. (Was "Packaging" the product)

  • LA. Book Arts
    Message 1 of 28 , Apr 4, 2005
      Well,

      as Gerald points it out so nicely -it gets harder and harder to rectify
      the effort of printing books on the handpress and being able to at
      least get paid for it.

      I get more inclined to cut an inquiry off in the moment I catch someone
      as today who asked me to print a 60 page book in 100 copies on my
      handpress, with 5 etching, the paper is Lana laid.
      The first issue the person raised what why should she also have to pay
      money for the etchings if it costs more than printing letterpress per
      sheet and the binding should be only cost around 25 each, as she has a
      another person who can print the book and bind it for less.

      Well, honey go for it.

      If you looked at the website of parnassia.org, that is what I used to
      do:

      cast Monotype and keep Foundries busy, print on my Amos dell' Orto
      Albion, and bind the books by hand.

      And no -I don't do pamphlet and coptic and all this stuff, I have been
      proper trained at the bench and gained my Masterdegree and make proper
      Full Leather and Parchment bindings.

      I recently had a talk with an eminent binder who lamented the fact,
      that after having amassed a huge collection of hand finishing tools,
      this are the fancy handengraved brass tools which create a pattern in
      goldleaf on Leather, and than there is hardly a call for it.
      Duh, I have a similliar collection in my shop, everybody wants it and
      than we talk about Labor cost, suddenly it's good enough to have a
      magnesium plate made and stamp it.
      I still print on the handpress, instead of a lot of type I make a
      polymerplate, still print etchings and run a full time bindery. Alas
      the people I print for a very careful screened. They have to understand
      upfront how much that cost and being able to pay for it.

      But overall there are still a few who collect fine printing anf have
      the Taste and Education for it.
      But as the market is now so diluted and people don't understand that a
      coptic binding is not a structure which makes any sense in the western
      civilized world , the few remaining fine printers still have a few
      clients, but nothing really new is coming up.

      Packaging has only so much to do with it, as a qualified Master
      craftsman I can do whatever in any direction, as long as a printed
      sheet on handmade damped paper has to compete with an altered
      xeroxcopy, you are on the loosing end.

      And by the time theese "Printers"" realize they need more knowledge -
      we will be gone.
      charles

      ------------------------------------
      L.A Book Arts, Inc.
      The Custom Bindery
      Krause Intaglio
      310.360.7265
      www.Custombindery.com
      ------------------------------------
      On Apr 4, 2005, at 9:56 PM, Gerald Lange wrote:

> [...]
      > twentieth century fine presses regularly "over-subscribed" their
      > publications. How did that exactly work?
      >
      > There is a point where a book does not warrant the binding it is
      > given, especially if the binding is more designed as a marketing tool
      > rather than to enhance the book concept. Which seems to more and more
      > the example.
      >
      > On the other hand, there just aren't as many fine press book
      > printer-puiblishers around anymore, and whatever is coming out, hey,
      > give em grace for the effort. That, or we will all be driven to
      > printing wedding invites, pounded hard (like "real" letterpress),
      > until that fad goes away.
      >
      > Gerald
      >

      >> John: I've purposely wanted to avoid bringing up the question with
      >> binding discussion groups, where this topic (and similar ones) has
      >> been discussed on many occasions. Most fine press printers will do
      >> some of their own "finishing" (which may include aspects of binding,
      >> such as pamphlet binding, but may include other activities). However,
      >> most printers need an outside person or firm to do edition binding and
      >> boxes, thus cost (as Gerald points out) becomes a practical issue in
      >> presentation. I raise the question on a listserv dedicated to people
      >> producing the innards of books and pamphlets because I'm less
      >> interested in the engineering marvels that one might find from
      >> binders. (I don't mean to disparage their work!)
      >>
      >> Gerald: historical verisimilitude of presentation has much to
      >> recommend it, and while Moxon would not have made a box or portfolio,
      >> printers sometimes have to make compromises to later taste or
      >> expectations or tradition. You could just charge extra for anyone
      >> unwilling to be historically accurate. :-)
      >>
      >>> Folks who produce books out of passion should probably not be taken
      >> to task for their efforts. Fragile, sturdy, simple, complicated.
      >> Hopefully appropriate.<
      >>
      >> I hope that the thoughtful collector (whether institutional or not)
      >> will look beyond the "packaging" when buying. But practical issues of
      >> things like shelving (so the book can be found) or fragility (adding
      >> to the cost of ownership) are also important. Unfortunately these
      >> sorts of issues sometimes "wag the dog" when it comes to collecting
      >> and buying.
      >>
      >> Jessica privately wrote me "There's a tricky line out there between
      >> gimmicks (pop-ups, wacky bindings, etc.) and structures that work well
      >> with content." I think here again, that word "appropriate" seems quite
      >> important. The best designs reinforce the text and its underlying
      >> meaning, but since you're not a gentleman of leisure running a
      >> hobbyist press, you need to take into consideration "market" issues.
      >> The best choices have good reasons, such as Trissel's decision to
      >> issue his book in unbound sections, printed single-sided (but I still
      >> wonder about the acrylic chemise--which, since I remember it, IS an

    • Jessica Spring
      Message 2 of 28 , Jun 2, 2005
        I'm working on plates with a solid pattern filled with thin rules. The first
        attempt worked fairly well except the far edges--obviously a vacuum problem.
        I changed the kreene and it worked so well there is now a subtle but visible
        "plaid" where the vacuum lines produced more suction. Anyone have any
        suggestions to get rid of the plaid?
        Thanks,
        Jessica
        Message 3 of 28 , Jun 2, 2005
          Jessica

          I'm surprised to hear that there may be variance of vacuum in a
          platemaking machine. What is the manufacturer/model?

          Gerald

          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Jessica Spring <springtide@i...>
          wrote:
          > I'm working on plates with a solid pattern filled with thin rules.
          The first
          > attempt worked fairly well except the far edges--obviously a vacuum
          problem.
          > I changed the kreene and it worked so well there is now a subtle but
          visible
          > "plaid" where the vacuum lines produced more suction. Anyone have any
          > suggestions to get rid of the plaid?
          > Thanks,
          > Jessica
        • Jessica Spring
          Message 4 of 28 , Jun 2, 2005
            It's a Polimero Interflex A4.

            Message 5 of 28 , Jun 2, 2005
              Jessica

              Does this model have the kreene attached to a steel rod that you roll
              down? I've found that vacuum is much more secure without the steel
              rod. I cut a sheet to fit the vacuum table and leave it at that. Seems
              to prevent any vacuum problems.

              But I really don't understand how the vacuum could pull down the
              kreene stronger in one area of the plate than another. Or how that
              would leave "plaid marks" on the plate itself. Especially, I guess, as
              there is a film negative between the kreene and the plate.

              Next question toward a solution I suspect is what type of film and
              plate are you using? Or, are you sure this isn't an exposure or
              washout problem? A low water level can cause the brushes to mark the
              surface of a plate.

            • typetom@aol.com
              Message 6 of 28 , Jun 2, 2005
                In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Jessica Spring wrote:
                >there is now a subtle but visible "plaid" where the vacuum lines produced
                more suction.

                I'm guessing you are using polyester-backed plates and the vacuum is sucking
                hard enough to distort the contact between the plate and the negative, by
                pulling the polyester material into the vacuum lines. I use steel-backed
                plates. Never seen any such effect. I wonder if a thin support layer beneath the
                plate material might solve the problem?

                Pure speculation! but I'd guess it's such a subtle effect that it wouldn't
                show on normal text or image areas. You wouldn't notice the plaid if the lines
                had other irregular variations already! A solid pattern with thin rules
                would test the limits of the system just about every way possible!

                Best wishes. Let us know what you discover....
                Tom

                Tom Parson
                Now It's Up To You Publications
                157 S. Logan, Denver CO 80209
                (303) 777-8951
                http://members.aol.com/typetom

                Message 7 of 28 , Jun 2, 2005
                  Tom

                  Interesting speculation but I doubt the vacuum is such, in any of
                  these machines, to be able to pull a polyester-backed plate into the
                  vacuum line. That would sort of be a major engineering flaw. I process
                  both steel-backed and polyester-backed plates in my machine and I
                  can't imagine this to be the case. While polyester-backed plates are
                  certainly flexible (and a bit unnerving to those accustomed to
                  steel-backs), they are not flexible enough to be drawn down into that
                  thinly etched vacuum line, unless there is something wildly out of
                  wack with Jessica's vacuum pump!

                  Gerald

                  Message 8 of 28 , Jun 3, 2005
                    Tom & Gerald--
                    The plates are 94FL. I do have the steel bar at the bottom, so I can try
                    taking that off, and for comparison I can try a steel-backed plate. The last
                    bit of the mystery: my vacuum has a simple on-off switch and half the time
                    the button won't stay on. I've replaced the button itself, but the problem
                    remains, which Jet attributes to humidity. Hmmmm. I have to let it sort of
                    warm up, then it stays on. As Charles suggested, I think the vacuum is a
                    stinker (AKA "wildly out of whack") and this plate happens to reveal that in
                    a way I hadn't seen consistently with type.

                    Jessica

                    Message 9 of 28 , Jun 3, 2005
                      Jessica

                      94FLs are a tad softer than other plates, don't know if this is the culprit or not. I'd recommend a hardness rating of 65-70 Shore D minimum. You might also think about switching to a higher grade plate brand.

                      wrote:
                      > Tom & Gerald--
                      > The plates are 94FL. I do have the steel bar at the bottom, so I can try
                      > taking that off, and for comparison I can try a steel-backed plate.
                      The last
                      > bit of the mystery: my vacuum has a simple on-off switch and half
                      the time
                      > the button won't stay on. I've replaced the button itself, but the
                      problem
                      > remains, which Jet attributes to humidity. Hmmmm. I have to let it
                      sort of
                      > warm up, then it stays on. As Charles suggested, I think the vacuum is a
                      > stinker (AKA "wildly out of whack") and this plate happens to reveal
                      that in
                      > a way I hadn't seen consistently with type.
                      >
                      > Jessica
                      >
                      > > From: "Gerald Lange" <bieler@w...>
                      > > Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 06:02:55 -0000
                      > > To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
                      > > Subject: [PPLetterpress] Re: troubleshooting
                      > >
                      > > Tom
                      > >
                      > > Interesting speculation but I doubt the vacuum is such, in any of
                      > > these machines, to be able to pull a polyester-backed plate into the
                      > > vacuum line. That would sort of be a major engineering flaw. I process
                      > > both steel-backed and polyester-backed plates in my machine and I
                      > > can't imagine this to be the case. While polyester-backed plates are
                      > > certainly flexible (and a bit unnerving to those accustomed to
                      > > steel-backs), they are not flexible enough to be drawn down into that
                      > > thinly etched vacuum line, unless there is something wildly out of
                      > > wack with Jessica's vacuum pump!
                      > >
                      > > Gerald
                      > >

                      > > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, typetom@a... wrote:

                      > > produced
                      > >> more suction.
                      > >>

                      > >> I'm guessing you are using polyester-backed plates and the vacuum
                      > > is sucking
                      > >> hard enough to distort the contact between the plate and the
                      > > negative, by
                      > >> pulling the polyester material into the vacuum lines. I use
                      > > steel-backed
                      > >> plates. Never seen any such effect. I wonder if a thin support
                      > > layer beneath the
                      > >> plate material might solve the problem?
                      > >>
                      > >> Pure speculation! but I'd guess it's such a subtle effect that it
                      > > wouldn't
                      > >> show on normal text or image areas. You wouldn't notice the plaid if
                      > > the lines
                      > >> had other irregular variations already! A solid pattern with thin
                      > > rules
                      > >> would test the limits of the system just about every way possible!
                      > >>

                      > >> Best wishes. Let us know what you discover....
                      > >> Tom
                      > >>
                      > >> Tom Parson
                      > >> Now It's Up To You Publications
                      > >> 157 S. Logan, Denver CO 80209
                      > >> (303) 777-8951
                      > >> http://members.aol.com/typetom

                      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Harold Kyle
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jun 3, 2005
                        On 6/3/05 1:22 PM, "Gerald Lange" <bieler@...> wrote:
                        > 94FLs are a tad softer than other plates, don't know if this is the culprit or
                        > not. I'd recommend a hardness rating of 65-70 Shore D minimum. You might also
                        > think about switching to a higher grade plate brand.

                        Well you finally stirred me to write with this comment!

                        Re: "softness". The hardness of the 94FL is 62 shore D so I think you'd have
                        a hard time seeing the difference between it and your recommended range of
                        65-70. The difference is insubstantial. Also, should you want a harder
                        plate, Jet makes a 94HFL that has 80 shore D. We at Boxcar Press have a job
                        shop running the popular "deep impression" printing exclusively from the
                        94FL. The plate's printing shows no evidence of "softness".

                        Re: "Higher grade plate", Gerald, your opinion of Jet 94FL plates are of
                        less quality will not be borne out in a side to side test of the material. A
                        rep selling Toyobo Printight visited Boxcar Press' shop earlier this week
                        and we proofed a test plate of Printight KF95 next to the Jet 94FL material.
                        The Jet plate showed more detail and, at the same time, exhibited less gain;
                        this is with a rep selling Printight monitoring the processing. After
                        extensive testing, I've come to conclude that the only plate that gives the
                        94FL a run for the money is the BASF WH95. The cost difference between these
                        plates makes the 94FL much more desirable option. I would be happy, by the
                        way, to scan a proof of the side-by-side comparison of Printight and Jet
                        plates when I get a chance.

                        Re: Jessica's platemaking "plaid" problem. I'm problem solving this with the
                        manufacturer of the machine, who apparently can furnish a vacuum table
                        adaptor to make the grooves less noticeable. I want to get more information
                        before I promise you that this is possible. Apparently, the adaptor is a
                        "diamond-plate" material that sits in the vacuum table. I'll post to the
                        list to let you know when I have more information. The problems you're
                        experiencing, though, appear to be from the platemaker and not the plate.

                        Re: Jessica's platemaking button problem. I'm sorry I didn't touch base with
                        you about this sooner. I remember calling you several months ago to let you
                        know that I may have found the possible problem, but I guess we never
                        touched base. Apparently, the powder-coating of the steel might have made
                        the opening for the vacuum switch too small. The extra pressure on the
                        switch causes problems in it working properly. You can file the opening to
                        be a little wider see if the switch works better.

                        Sorry not to be able to write sooner. I should be loading my trailer right
                        now for a press move...

                        Harold

                        Boxcar Press
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jun 3, 2005
                          Harold

                          My comment about higher grade plate brand had nothing to do with Toyobo.
                          Neither Jet or Toyobo are what I would consider top grade plates. But
                          they are both adequate for most letterpress applications. I've run my
                          own comparison tests of these particular brands as well and my suspicion
                          is that these differing plates need differing exposure and washout times
                          to provide optimum detail and subsurface strength, so it is essentially
                          misleading to compare them or any other plate brand in the manner that
                          you suggest.

                          But the hardness rating of a plate has less to do with how deep your
                          impression can be than it does with ink acceptance and transfer. Any
                          photopolymer plate, no matter brand or hardness or thickness or relief
                          depth, is going to splay under increased printing pressure (that is self
                          evident to any seasoned printer). And "gain" is a normal consequence of
                          increased impression with the letterpress process. If folks need deep
                          impression without splay they would be better off going with a copper
                          photomechanical engraving mounted on a metal base. There is a technical
                          reason for the limitation of thickness and relief (and hardness) in
                          regard to letterpress formulated plates.

                          Just out of curiosity, would you have switched brands if Toyobo had
                          surpassed the Jet in your comparison test?

                          Gerald
                          Good luck with the press move.

                        • David Wall
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jun 3, 2005
                            > But the hardness rating of a plate has less to do with how deep your
                            > impression can be than it does with ink acceptance and transfer. Any
                            > photopolymer plate, no matter brand or hardness or thickness or relief
                            > depth, is going to splay under increased printing pressure (that is
                            > self
                            > evident to any seasoned printer). And "gain" is a normal consequence
                            > of
                            > increased impression with the letterpress process.  If folks need deep
                            > impression without splay they would be better off going with a copper
                            > photomechanical engraving mounted on a metal base. There is a
                            > technical
                            > reason for the limitation of thickness and relief (and hardness) in
                            > regard to letterpress formulated plates.

                            Oh come on . . . I haven't been following this thread up until now, so
                            maybe I've missed something---but this sounds like a bunch of baloney.
                            I consider myself an appropriately seasoned printer and I've never
                            found "splay" to be of any more consequence with photopolymer than it
                            is with metal type---which is to say, no consequence at all. If we were
                            using plates similar in durometer to hard rubber stamps I can see where
                            it would be a factor, but I highly doubt that any splay in the plates
                            that any of us use would be noticeable unless you were either
                            deliberately abusing the plate---by which I don't mean simply "deep
                            impression"---or you were somehow measuring in microns---in which case
                            ink squeeze and the amount of ink on the rollers would obliterate any
                            reliable evidence of splay. Perhaps this phenomenon is a factor in
                            flexo printing of screened images in cases where precise color matching
                            of prepress proofs and original artwork is important, but it certainly
                            doesn't play any significant role in letterpress printing from polymer
                            plates.

                            Dave

                            ________________
                            David P. Wall
                            The Applecart Press, LLC
                            14 Maine Street, Box 43
                            Brunswick, ME 04011
                            Tel. 207-373-1690
                            Fax 207-373-1691
                            www.applecartpress.com
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jun 3, 2005
                              David

                              This kind of surprises me. I guess I'll have to respectively disagree.

                              There are techical reports I could dig up concerning quantitative
                              compression and pressure measures of photopolymer plates which I would
                              assume have more weight than "our" experiential wisdom or ad hoc
                              tests, but clearly, what a waste of effort that would be.

                              Gerald

                              --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, David Wall <applecartpress@y...>
                              wrote:
                              > > But the hardness rating of a plate has less to do with how deep your
                              > > impression can be than it does with ink acceptance and transfer. Any
                              > > photopolymer plate, no matter brand or hardness or thickness or
                              relief
                              > > depth, is going to splay under increased printing pressure (that is
                              > > self
                              > > evident to any seasoned printer). And "gain" is a normal consequence
                              > > of
                              > > increased impression with the letterpress process. If folks need
                              deep
                              > > impression without splay they would be better off going with a copper
                              > > photomechanical engraving mounted on a metal base. There is a
                              > > technical
                              > > reason for the limitation of thickness and relief (and hardness) in
                              > > regard to letterpress formulated plates.
                              >
                              > Oh come on . . . I haven't been following this thread up until now, so
                              > maybe I've missed something---but this sounds like a bunch of baloney.
                              > I consider myself an appropriately seasoned printer and I've never
                              > found "splay" to be of any more consequence with photopolymer than it
                              > is with metal type---which is to say, no consequence at all. If we were
                              > using plates similar in durometer to hard rubber stamps I can see where
                              > it would be a factor, but I highly doubt that any splay in the plates
                              > that any of us use would be noticeable unless you were either
                              > deliberately abusing the plate---by which I don't mean simply "deep
                              > impression"---or you were somehow measuring in microns---in which case
                              > ink squeeze and the amount of ink on the rollers would obliterate any
                              > reliable evidence of splay. Perhaps this phenomenon is a factor in
                              > flexo printing of screened images in cases where precise color matching
                              > of prepress proofs and original artwork is important, but it certainly
                              > doesn't play any significant role in letterpress printing from polymer
                              > plates.
                              >
                              > Dave
                              >
                              > ________________
                              > David P. Wall
                              > The Applecart Press, LLC
                              > 14 Maine Street, Box 43
                              > Brunswick, ME 04011
                              > Tel. 207-373-1690
                              > Fax 207-373-1691
                              > www.applecartpress.com
                            • Harold Kyle
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jun 3, 2005
                                On 6/3/05 5:45 PM, "Gerald Lange" <bieler@...> wrote:
                                > My comment about higher grade plate brand had nothing to do with Toyobo.
                                I'm sorry--I thought that was the plate that you preferred. Would a higher
                                grade be BASF? Are there any other plates that you consider top of the line?

                                > so it is essentially
                                > misleading to compare them or any other plate brand in the manner that
                                > you suggest.
                                The test I did showed that the Printight plate gained more with less detail.
                                To get more detail I would have had to increase exposure, causing more gain.
                                I relied on the rep selling Printight to dial in the right numbers. But I
                                agree that this is a slippery issue, and best left up to the printer's
                                judgement. I'm stating my personal preference and standing up for it based
                                on tests I've done. The differences between brands are minimal but when I
                                print I have the attitude: "I need all the help I can get." I really wish I
                                could afford BASF plates, and I might consider using them more if they
                                didn't smell so much!

                                > Just out of curiosity, would you have switched brands if Toyobo had
                                > surpassed the Jet in your comparison test?
                                We sell Printight plates alongside Jet and BASF plates, so we're very
                                familiar with the Printight brand in relation to the competition. We prefer
                                them for intaglio processing. The pricing is comparable with Jet plates, so
                                yes I would be tempted to switch brands if I felt the plates were equally
                                sharp on the letterpress. The Printight salesman hasn't given up--we may be
                                troubleshooting the gain issues soon. For now, I'm sticking with the plates
                                that I know are going to give the best results.

                                I'll be back on Monday! The trailer's loaded up and ready to go.

                                Harold

                                Boxcar Press
                              • LA. Book Arts
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jun 3, 2005
                                  All,

                                  the problem she has is with the machine, the machine doesn't seem to
                                  have a gage for vacuum pressure, so basically she has no way of knowing
                                  if she has enough or what.
                                  The exposing of a plate with Film is a very critical stage of
                                  platemaking, a good vacuum, a good piece of Film and it's smooth
                                  sailing. I just made 65 9.5 x13 inch plates (WH 94) for a book project
                                  the other day.
                                  If you have no way of measuring your action it is very difficult to
                                  repeat it over and over.

                                  charles

                                  www.custombindery.com
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jun 3, 2005
                                    Harold

                                    I actually prefer the BASF, especially for halftones or very fine
                                    detail though I am not sure I have quite figured out the correct
                                    washout for them as they never seem finished to me. The surface
                                    texture is ideal, but yes, they do stink and crud up the bath. I like
                                    plates that indicate by color, surface and subsurface, which both the
                                    BASF and the Toyobo do. For some reason I think it helps clarify
                                    things for me.

                                    There are probably a lot better plates out there, BASF is getting to
                                    be rather old technology I'd think (maybe that's not bad though).
                                    Would appreciate any info you discover in this regard.

                                    You might like this: When I first started buying photopolymer plates I
                                    went to visit my processor and discovered a completely different plate
                                    on his press (a BASF). I asked him why he didn't sell those to his
                                    clients. He didn't miss a beat, "Because my customers are too f***ing
                                    cheap."

                                    At any rate, I keep profiles on clients as to their needs and
                                    expectations and often process plates based on various formulas I have
                                    used. I think the Toyobos require much less exposure and much more
                                    washout (than the reps tell you) to get to finer detail and better
                                    substructure. I've run Jets at the same formula and they are not quite
                                    there. So I assume they have their own configuration. But I don't use
                                    them or sell them so don't know what that would be.

                                    Once again, good luck with the move.

                                    Gerald

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jun 4, 2005
                                      Hi Charles

                                      No vacuum gauge? How did you find that out?

                                      Geez, this was all sort of a big waste of time then wasn't it? If it
                                      does nothing else, a gauge will tell you when vacuum is iffy, and, if
                                      it reveals release during exposure, your plate/s just went south. Kind
                                      of an important feature.

                                      Gerald