Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Size plates for Vandercook, inks

  • CaveworksPress@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 4, 2005
      Hi Gerald,

      Thanks for your comments on base size for Vandercook. I've been doing some
      looking around and think I'm going to narrow it down to starting with a 9x12 or
      close to that size boxcar base. Price is a consideration, and those magnets in
      magnetic bases sure add to the cost!

      Inkwise, based on a few people's experience, I think I'll go with oil-based.
      Like you said, nothing specific to photopolymer, but a printing preference.

      Thanks.

      Julie Russell-Steuart

    • Harold Kyle
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 4, 2005
        On 3/31/05 1:44 AM, "Gerald Lange" <bieler@...> wrote:
        > The larger the base the less it can be guaranteed to be precise
        > (parallel) across its measure. Bunting Magnetics, for instance, will
        > not make a base larger than 8.5 by 11.25 inches as a standard. They
        > will make larger bases on special order but caution that they need to
        > be bolted to the press bed. The way around this is to put smaller
        > bases together as a composite.

        By working closely with the machinists that make our bases we've been able
        to hold the same thickness tolerances (+/- 0.001") on our large bases as on
        our small bases. A 24" x 24" base that fits in a Vandercook 325G will (on
        paper) have no more variation in thickness, flatness, or parallelism than
        our smallest 4.5" x 7.5" base. You're right in saying this is not easy.

        We have several customers using large bases (the 24" x 24" and the 17" x 21"
        as well) without needing to bolt them to the bed. In fact, we use both of
        these sizes in our shop as well, so I know from personal experience that the
        larger bases work just as well as the smaller ones. Although it it possible
        to butt several small bases together, it is less cost effective and we have
        to make sure that the thicknesses pair up well. For this reason, we
        recommend Vandercook users to go with the largest base possible for the bed
        of the press--within their budget, of course.

        Harold

        Boxcar Press