Re: [PPLetterpress] Workshops in Aurora, New York

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 4, 2005
      Wow. This looks like quite a non-traditional party ;-)
      Not to be a stick-in-the-mud, but I'm left wondering if there's any typography going on out there at all...

      And whether the essential character of the imprinted letter and understanding of essential technique is lost completely in the search for expression?

      With best wishes, in fact, because it really does look like a fun time!

      Peter "Zen Stick-in-the-Mud" Fraterdeus

      >Registration is ongoing for classes at the Wells Book Arts Summer Institute..
      >Enjoy intensive learning in a beautiful lakeshore setting in Aurora, New
      >York. Open to all levels.
      >
      >JUNE 19-25, 2005
      >
      >Julia Leonard, "Binding Structure and Story"
      >The visual, tactile and intimate qualities of the artists' book, whether
      >traditional or experimental in form, make the book's structure an essential
      >contextual element. This workshop will explore connections between structure
      >and content. Participants will learn several non-traditional book structures....

      >Sara Langworthy, "Drawing at the Press: Fluid Approaches to Innovative
      >Printing"
      >This class asks 'what would happen if?' and encourages students to then see
      >'what happens when.' Using traditional fine printing as our point of
      >departure, we will explore and exploit the world of nontraditional &...

      >JUNE 26 - JULY 2, 2005
      >
      >Nancy Leavitt, "Content, Form and Sequence: Genesis of the Hand Lettered
      >Book"
      >With content as the idea of our work and the book our form, we will use
      >poetry and mark-making exercises as a springboard to develop narratives.
      >Through playful research with text, pen, and paper, we will collect,
      >explore, and analyze ideas, and develop them into visual sequences to be
      >used in our books....
      >
      >Walter Tisdale, "Text and Image: The Printed Narrative"
      >What is your dream book? How can a printing press and hand tool skills
      >transform your mind's image to reality? How does the narrative influence the
      >design of the book?

      http://www.dezinecafe.com - designdigerati (r)
      Global Design Community - Free Intercultural Review - now Plone driven!

      http://www.semiotx.com Web Strategy Consulting