Workshops in Aurora, New York

  • bookartscenter
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 3, 2005
      Registration is ongoing for classes at the Wells Book Arts Summer Institute..
      Enjoy intensive learning in a beautiful lakeshore setting in Aurora, New
      York. Open to all levels.

      JUNE 19-25, 2005

      Julia Leonard, "Binding Structure and Story"
      The visual, tactile and intimate qualities of the artists¹ book, whether
      traditional or experimental in form, make the book¹s structure an essential
      contextual element. This workshop will explore connections between structure
      and content. Participants will learn several non-traditional book structures
      that are flexible & adaptable, making them particularly appropriate for
      presenting material in alternative forms. We will integrate structure, text
      and image to create books in which the binding enhances both the function &
      meaning of a piece. Structures will include non-adhesive combination
      bindings, stiff leaf variants, accordion folds and several of the many
      variants that can be built off the basic accordion fold. We will switch
      classes with the Langworthy workshop for an afternoon to provide students
      with exposure to non-traditional methods on the press.

      Sara Langworthy, "Drawing at the Press: Fluid Approaches to Innovative
      Printing"
      This class asks Œwhat would happen if?¹ and encourages students to then see
      Œwhat happens when.¹ Using traditional fine printing as our point of
      departure, we will explore and exploit the world of nontraditional &
      innovative printmaking on the Vandercook. Students will be exposed to an
      array of printing techniques such as pressure printing, excessive layering,
      purposeful misregistration, painterly monoprinting, trace monoprinting,
      incorporation of aqueous materials into printed sheets, stencils, handwork,
      & more! Exercises will familiarize students with each process, and the class
      will exchange prints from these first days. We will then spend one day
      working in small groups on a series of collaborative prints, and the final
      days of class will be devoted to focused individual work. We will switch
      classes with the Leonard workshop for an afternoon to provide students with
      exposure to non-traditional binding methods.

      JUNE 26 - JULY 2, 2005

      Nancy Leavitt, "Content, Form and Sequence: Genesis of the Hand Lettered
      Book"
      With content as the idea of our work and the book our form, we will use
      poetry and mark-making exercises as a springboard to develop narratives.
      Through playful research with text, pen, and paper, we will collect,
      explore, and analyze ideas, and develop them into visual sequences to be
      used in our books. We will develop new ways of working to strengthen the
      substance and personal satisfaction of our work. Instruction will include
      group and individual activities, slides, demonstrations, and discussion. We
      will also make book models for use in future projects. Students at all
      levels are welcome; everyone must be able to work independently. Although we
      will be using calligrapher¹s tools, no calligraphic or binding experience is
      necessary.

      Walter Tisdale, "Text and Image: The Printed Narrative"
      What is your dream book? How can a printing press and hand tool skills
      transform your mind¹s image to reality? How does the narrative influence the
      design of the book? We will jump right into the simple mechanics of the
      Vandercook proof press using movable type, and relief printing with wood and
      lino blocks. Each person will print a folded-broadside in a small edition.
      Repetition during edition work will reinforce the necessary skills. The
      final project will be a collaborative effort using type and imagery in an
      accordion-book structure. The narrative of this book will be developed by
      the class. Simplicity is vital given the time constraints. It is important
      to spark ideas during the class, but also develop physical models for
      reference afterward. You will receive instruction in binding and hand
      stencil/pochoir work. All skill levels will feel comfortable in this class.

      For more information, please call us at 325.364.3420, email us at
      bookartscenter@..., or visit our website at www.wells.edu/bookarts,
      and click on the link to Summer Institute.
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 4, 2005
        Wow. This looks like quite a non-traditional party ;-)
        Not to be a stick-in-the-mud, but I'm left wondering if there's any typography going on out there at all...

        And whether the essential character of the imprinted letter and understanding of essential technique is lost completely in the search for expression?

        With best wishes, in fact, because it really does look like a fun time!

        Peter "Zen Stick-in-the-Mud" Fraterdeus

        >Registration is ongoing for classes at the Wells Book Arts Summer Institute..
        >Enjoy intensive learning in a beautiful lakeshore setting in Aurora, New
        >York. Open to all levels.
        >
        >JUNE 19-25, 2005
        >
        >Julia Leonard, "Binding Structure and Story"
        >The visual, tactile and intimate qualities of the artists' book, whether
        >traditional or experimental in form, make the book's structure an essential
        >contextual element. This workshop will explore connections between structure
        >and content. Participants will learn several non-traditional book structures....

        >Sara Langworthy, "Drawing at the Press: Fluid Approaches to Innovative
        >Printing"
        >This class asks 'what would happen if?' and encourages students to then see
        >'what happens when.' Using traditional fine printing as our point of
        >departure, we will explore and exploit the world of nontraditional &...

        >JUNE 26 - JULY 2, 2005
        >
        >Nancy Leavitt, "Content, Form and Sequence: Genesis of the Hand Lettered
        >Book"
        >With content as the idea of our work and the book our form, we will use
        >poetry and mark-making exercises as a springboard to develop narratives.
        >Through playful research with text, pen, and paper, we will collect,
        >explore, and analyze ideas, and develop them into visual sequences to be
        >used in our books....
        >
        >Walter Tisdale, "Text and Image: The Printed Narrative"
        >What is your dream book? How can a printing press and hand tool skills
        >transform your mind's image to reality? How does the narrative influence the
        >design of the book?

        http://www.dezinecafe.com - designdigerati (r)
        Global Design Community - Free Intercultural Review - now Plone driven!

        http://www.semiotx.com Web Strategy Consulting