binding, boxing

  • Jessica Spring
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2005
      Paul--
      With your permission, I'd like to use your examples in a class I'm teaching
      about editioning this summer at the OBAG Focus Conference--they provide
      great starting points for discussion. If anyone has suggested tips/short
      cuts/know-how related to printing, binding and marketing editioned artist
      books, I'd appreciate hearing them and can send the compiled collection of
      comments this summer (include an address off-list.)

      I have a set of broadsides that compare type and spices and the ┬│deluxe┬▓ set
      of seven comes in a hickory box, hopefully suggestive of crates housing type
      or spice. At the time I had the boxes built I was in Chicago and had them
      shipped from a boxmaker in Arizona in August. Though the boxes were
      beautiful, just one night in my air-condition-less studio caused them to
      swell shut and warp--the majority of the problem was humidity but a sliding
      cigarbox lid increased the problem. I had to resort to a local carpenter
      (and a simpler, more elegant design). Ultimately I was pleased with the end
      result, but it confirmed the potential complications of sending work out. I
      also don't know if libraries end up using the box (for archival reasons)
      after all the effort and expense. That being said, I'd do it over again
      anyway--sometimes that extra mile makes the project complete.

      --Jessica

      Jessica Spring
      SPRINGTIDE PRESS
      http://www.springtidepress.com