QSOL as Solvent.

  • Kent Manske
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1 6:02 PM
      In the printmaking studio where I teach, for health & safety reasons,
      we use as little volatile solvents as necessary.

      We generally use Crisco oil (vegetable oil) to remove ink from press
      rollers then give a final wipe with Cal Wash. For hand rollers and
      plates we use baby oil, then Simple Green for a final wipe.

      By regulation, rags soaked with Cal Wash can't go into our garbage
      cans and must be stored in air tight containers then collected by an
      outside service.

      Our Waste Management department asked me to consider using QSOL 300
      Cleaning Solvent explaining it to be non-toxic and able to be put
      into any trash can. It is used by are Art Department's Painting
      department to clean brushes.

      Research tells me QSOL is commonly used as a parts cleaner in auto
      shops. MSDS states 97-100% Cyclopentasiloxane decamethyl
      (Pentacyclomethicone) and 0-3% Cyclosioxenes dima (cyclic
      dimenthyisiloxanes).

      That said, anyone know if QSOL is a good solution. Could it do harm
      to rollers?

      Thanks, kent

      --
      ___________________
      Kent Manske
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 9 7:15 PM
        Hey, regarding non-toxic solvents :

        Did you get any off-list replies on this? A constant concern in the
        letterpress world, especially with students.

        I have given up on Crisco, as I suspect that too much left
        inadvertently at the ends swells the rollersv- or some such other
        stuff: perhaps I should just get new rollers. I just don;'t know what
        Crisco/ Vegetable oil will do over the long haul.

        That aside, the question again: What else is there? The offset
        Blanket-Roller Wash we are using is PUTRID. and very toxic.

        Thanks,

        eileen

        >In the printmaking studio where I teach, for health & safety reasons,
        >we use as little volatile solvents as necessary.
        >
        >We generally use Crisco oil (vegetable oil) to remove ink from press
        >rollers then give a final wipe with Cal Wash. For hand rollers and
        >plates we use baby oil, then Simple Green for a final wipe.
        >
        >By regulation, rags soaked with Cal Wash can't go into our garbage
        >cans and must be stored in air tight containers then collected by an
        >outside service.
        >
        >Our Waste Management department asked me to consider using QSOL 300
        >Cleaning Solvent explaining it to be non-toxic and able to be put
        >into any trash can. It is used by are Art Department's Painting
        >department to clean brushes.
        >
        >Research tells me QSOL is commonly used as a parts cleaner in auto
        >shops. MSDS states 97-100% Cyclopentasiloxane decamethyl
        >(Pentacyclomethicone) and 0-3% Cyclosioxenes dima (cyclic
        >dimenthyisiloxanes).
        >
        >That said, anyone know if QSOL is a good solution. Could it do harm
        >to rollers?
        >
        >Thanks, kent
        >

        >--

      • enkidu
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 10 12:34 AM
          a google search with: VCA , vegetable cleaning agents, will give you enough hits to find out
          a lot on the internet.

          There's no real need to spoil your brain and health using obsolete petroleum based
          highly inflammable and dangerous solvents anymore.

          I even found some sites they offered VCA for use in your house cleaning floors and kitchen.

          Best wishes

          John Cornelisse
          enkidu-press

          Did you get any off-list replies on this? A constant concern in the
          letterpress world, especially with students.

          I have given up on Crisco, as I suspect that too much left
          inadvertently at the ends swells the rollersv- or some such other
          stuff: perhaps I should just get new rollers. I just don;'t know what
          Crisco/ Vegetable oil will do over the long haul.

          That aside, the question again: What else is there? The offset
          Blanket-Roller Wash we are using is PUTRID. and very toxic.

          Thanks,

          eileen

          >In the printmaking studio where I teach, for health & safety reasons,
          >we use as little volatile solvents as necessary.
          >
          >We generally use Crisco oil (vegetable oil) to remove ink from press
          >rollers then give a final wipe with Cal Wash. For hand rollers and
          >plates we use baby oil, then Simple Green for a final wipe.
          >
          >By regulation, rags soaked with Cal Wash can't go into our garbage
          >cans and must be stored in air tight containers then collected by an
          >outside service.
          >
          >Our Waste Management department asked me to consider using QSOL 300
          >Cleaning Solvent explaining it to be non-toxic and able to be put
          >into any trash can. It is used by are Art Department's Painting
          >department to clean brushes.
          >
          >Research tells me QSOL is commonly used as a parts cleaner in auto
          >shops. MSDS states 97-100% Cyclopentasiloxane decamethyl
          >(Pentacyclomethicone) and 0-3% Cyclosioxenes dima (cyclic
          >dimenthyisiloxanes).
          >
          >That said, anyone know if QSOL is a good solution. Could it do harm
          >to rollers?
          >
          >Thanks, kent
          >

          >--

          _____