Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Galley rack & trays available for $50

  • Regis Graden
    Message 1 of 34 , Apr 1, 2005
      Dear Alex,

      These ancient terms are "lost" if you don't work with them.

      Best Wishes, and no fights,

      Regis

      alex brooks <alexbrooks@...> wrote:

      When I was learning how to sail, and then when i was teaching other how
      to sail, the question came up: why does everything have a silly little
      name? There are no ropes on a boat, there are lines, sheets, halyards,
      etc. The reason for this is - when you are sailing the difference
      between this rope and that rope over there can be the difference
      between life and death. So clear, exact, and concise communication is
      very important - so you need a million names for everything.

      I imagine that industrial letterpress shops were the same way - with
      quite heavy forms, dangerous presses and guillotines, etc.

      that being said, i don't think many of us face life or death in the
      pressroom. even though I try to use all of the correct terminology, and
      learn as much as i can, it seems like in a few years it will only be
      important to historians and museums. These terms might die off like the
      terms associated with common presses (does anyone using a vandercook
      know the name of the string that a tympan/frisket rests on?) In the
      same direction, I wonder if there are whole lexicons associated with
      commercial lithography, etching, engraving, etc. that have been
      completely lost today.

      disclaimer - i don't really have an opinion one way or the other, so i
      don't want to start a fight, these are just some thoughts i had

      thanks,
      alex
      press eight-seventeen
      lexington, ky

      > Termology helps to communicate, but only between typographers, if
      > it's deteriorating to a sort of "latin-speach between doctores
      > medici".
      > Than newcomers will have a hard time indeed.
      >
      > Language is for communicating, the internet we use too.

    • Fritz Klinke
      Message 34 of 34 , Apr 6, 2005
        I don't pretend to be computer literate and am not cognizant of all the
        phraseology of the computer world, but this discussion was about people who are
        working in letterpress not using commonly understood traditional letterpress
        terms. Should I ever venture into a computer discussion group, I would expect to
        either know the language or to learn it pretty damn fast. I encountered the case
        terms in the process of installing an Intuit product last night, and the little
        box thing (I know, dialog box) did not have a technical description of what the
        people who inhabit the halls and closets of Intuit call all the bits and pieces
        of their product.

        Fritz