Somerset Rough 500 gsm paper

  • David Wall
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2005
      Greetings to all:

      Can any of you suggest a source for small quantities of 500 gsm
      "Somerset Rough" stock? By small quantities, I mean fewer than 25 of
      the 46.75" x 35" full-size sheets (or cut sizes, if they're available
      anywhere).

      Thanks!

      Dave
      ________________
      David P. Wall
      The Applecart Press, LLC
      14 Maine Street, Box 43
      Brunswick, ME 04011
      Tel. 207-373-1690
      Fax 207-373-1691
      www.applecartpress.com

    • Kent Manske
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2005
        In the printmaking studio where I teach, for health & safety reasons,
        we use as little volatile solvents as necessary.

        We generally use Crisco oil (vegetable oil) to remove ink from press
        rollers then give a final wipe with Cal Wash. For hand rollers and
        plates we use baby oil, then Simple Green for a final wipe.

        By regulation, rags soaked with Cal Wash can't go into our garbage
        cans and must be stored in air tight containers then collected by an
        outside service.

        Our Waste Management department asked me to consider using QSOL 300
        Cleaning Solvent explaining it to be non-toxic and able to be put
        into any trash can. It is used by are Art Department's Painting
        department to clean brushes.

        Research tells me QSOL is commonly used as a parts cleaner in auto
        shops. MSDS states 97-100% Cyclopentasiloxane decamethyl
        (Pentacyclomethicone) and 0-3% Cyclosioxenes dima (cyclic
        dimenthyisiloxanes).

        That said, anyone know if QSOL is a good solution. Could it do harm
        to rollers?

        Thanks, kent

        --
        ___________________
        Kent Manske
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 9, 2005
          Hey, regarding non-toxic solvents :

          Did you get any off-list replies on this? A constant concern in the
          letterpress world, especially with students.

          I have given up on Crisco, as I suspect that too much left
          inadvertently at the ends swells the rollersv- or some such other
          stuff: perhaps I should just get new rollers. I just don;'t know what
          Crisco/ Vegetable oil will do over the long haul.

          That aside, the question again: What else is there? The offset
          Blanket-Roller Wash we are using is PUTRID. and very toxic.

          Thanks,

          eileen

          >In the printmaking studio where I teach, for health & safety reasons,
          >we use as little volatile solvents as necessary.
          >
          >We generally use Crisco oil (vegetable oil) to remove ink from press
          >rollers then give a final wipe with Cal Wash. For hand rollers and
          >plates we use baby oil, then Simple Green for a final wipe.
          >
          >By regulation, rags soaked with Cal Wash can't go into our garbage
          >cans and must be stored in air tight containers then collected by an
          >outside service.
          >
          >Our Waste Management department asked me to consider using QSOL 300
          >Cleaning Solvent explaining it to be non-toxic and able to be put
          >into any trash can. It is used by are Art Department's Painting
          >department to clean brushes.
          >
          >Research tells me QSOL is commonly used as a parts cleaner in auto
          >shops. MSDS states 97-100% Cyclopentasiloxane decamethyl
          >(Pentacyclomethicone) and 0-3% Cyclosioxenes dima (cyclic
          >dimenthyisiloxanes).
          >
          >That said, anyone know if QSOL is a good solution. Could it do harm
          >to rollers?
          >
          >Thanks, kent
          >

          >--

        • enkidu
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 10, 2005
            a google search with: VCA , vegetable cleaning agents, will give you enough hits to find out
            a lot on the internet.

            There's no real need to spoil your brain and health using obsolete petroleum based
            highly inflammable and dangerous solvents anymore.

            I even found some sites they offered VCA for use in your house cleaning floors and kitchen.

            Best wishes

            John Cornelisse
            enkidu-press

            Did you get any off-list replies on this? A constant concern in the
            letterpress world, especially with students.

            I have given up on Crisco, as I suspect that too much left
            inadvertently at the ends swells the rollersv- or some such other
            stuff: perhaps I should just get new rollers. I just don;'t know what
            Crisco/ Vegetable oil will do over the long haul.

            That aside, the question again: What else is there? The offset
            Blanket-Roller Wash we are using is PUTRID. and very toxic.

            Thanks,

            eileen

            >In the printmaking studio where I teach, for health & safety reasons,
            >we use as little volatile solvents as necessary.
            >
            >We generally use Crisco oil (vegetable oil) to remove ink from press
            >rollers then give a final wipe with Cal Wash. For hand rollers and
            >plates we use baby oil, then Simple Green for a final wipe.
            >
            >By regulation, rags soaked with Cal Wash can't go into our garbage
            >cans and must be stored in air tight containers then collected by an
            >outside service.
            >
            >Our Waste Management department asked me to consider using QSOL 300
            >Cleaning Solvent explaining it to be non-toxic and able to be put
            >into any trash can. It is used by are Art Department's Painting
            >department to clean brushes.
            >
            >Research tells me QSOL is commonly used as a parts cleaner in auto
            >shops. MSDS states 97-100% Cyclopentasiloxane decamethyl
            >(Pentacyclomethicone) and 0-3% Cyclosioxenes dima (cyclic
            >dimenthyisiloxanes).
            >
            >That said, anyone know if QSOL is a good solution. Could it do harm
            >to rollers?
            >
            >Thanks, kent
            >

            >--

            _____