Re: Printing troubles?

  • bielerpr
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1, 2002

      > I have been using a newly acquired Hostmann-Steinberg black from NA
      > Graphics. So far, results have been good, but on the C&P, I have noticed
      > that blacks are not always completely as solid as they should be, as though
      > the ink is not flowing well into the paper fibers. Would the setswell
      > compound help? Someone else recommended plate oil, and I think stand oil was
      > also mentioned. Anyone have experience with any of these additives? Do they
      > tend to dilute the color at all?
      >
      > Katie

      Dear Katie

      I would not use the Setswell compound for anything other than large
      solids that are giving you trouble. You would not want to use it for
      type. It will muck up the works.

      If the blacks are not as "solid" as you would like would dampening
      the paper or increasing the impression a bit help? If it is just that
      they are not of the color that you want, maybe you could add a tad of
      red to the black? To get a really deep black on say a large initial,
      I will sometimes print first in red and then print over this in
      black. Yes, a double run. But I use Vandercooks and they are quite
      precise in register.

      Best not to put any additive in an ink, though having said that, it
      seems that you always find you have to. To loosen an ink I find that
      better than the traditional cutting varnish, is to find another black
      of the same manufacture and similar brand but one that has less
      viscosity, and use that as a mix. You can alter the resultant color
      with a bit of red or blue to get nearer the finished black that
      appeals to you.

      All best

      Gerald
    • Katie Harper
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 2, 2002
        Gerald: Thanks for your tips. I did in fact try moistening the paper and got
        a bit better blacks, but the results were not enough of an improvement to
        justify the hassle.

        This brings up a point: some say that humidity in the shop (or lack thereof)
        is important; others say it makes no difference. Does anyone out there have
        an opinion on that? On the day I was printing the above job, there was low
        humidity (22%). The temp I can keep about 68-70°, but have not yet found a
        way to control humidity, other than buying one of those small room
        humidifiers. Is it worth it?

        Katie Harper
        Ars Brevis Press
        Cincinnati, OH