Re: [PPLetterpress] Size plates for Vandercook, inks

  • CaveworksPress@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 30, 2005
      Hello,

      I've never tried photopolymer printing before but want to get into
      experimenting with it. I've only done handset type and lino cuts. I have a photography
      background and play around on graphics software programs, so am raring to
      explore the potential for this medium. I also wouldn't mind doing some book
      production this way.

      I have a Vandercook UNI III. I'm looking into getting some Boxcar bases to
      start with. I haven't totally made up my mind on the brand, but would like
      feedback on how to get the most bang for my buck with good results. Would it be a
      good idea to get the largest base I can afford to allow me to use plates that
      size and under? Is there any drawback to the printing area being smaller,
      sometimes much smaller, than the base? Or would I do better to get a variety of
      bases, as many as I can afford?

      Any thoughts on what inks and additives work well with
      photopolymer/Vandercook? I know I could be opening a can of worms, but am seriously considering an
      investment into either rubber or oil based VanSon Pantone mixing starter inks.
      Of course, I plan to experiment and make a decision, but I would welcome
      other's thoughts, especially Vandercookians. In the future I may do some short run
      printing for designers.

      Thanks, all

      Julie Russell-Steuart
      Caveworks Press

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 30, 2005
        Julie

        You would want to get a base size that would fit all your needs but....

        The larger the base the less it can be guaranteed to be precise
        (parallel) across its measure. Bunting Magnetics, for instance, will
        not make a base larger than 8.5 by 11.25 inches as a standard. They
        will make larger bases on special order but caution that they need to
        be bolted to the press bed. The way around this is to put smaller
        bases together as a composite.

        You would not have a problem with the printing area being smaller, and
        you can sometimes get away with it being larger than the base if you
        can come up with a precise support. I've run full-size plates a good
        half inch over the edge of ganged Buntings (with support).

        As far as inks and additives, I have never heard of any ink that was
        particular to photopolymer plates. They are more particular to the
        type of press you use. Photopolymer plates were engineered to function
        as replacement for metal type and engravings, thus they are compatible
        with comparable inks and additives.

        Gerald

      • CaveworksPress@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 4, 2005
          Hi Gerald,

          Thanks for your comments on base size for Vandercook. I've been doing some
          looking around and think I'm going to narrow it down to starting with a 9x12 or
          close to that size boxcar base. Price is a consideration, and those magnets in
          magnetic bases sure add to the cost!

          Inkwise, based on a few people's experience, I think I'll go with oil-based.
          Like you said, nothing specific to photopolymer, but a printing preference.

          Thanks.

          Julie Russell-Steuart

        • Harold Kyle
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 4, 2005
            On 3/31/05 1:44 AM, "Gerald Lange" <bieler@...> wrote:
            > The larger the base the less it can be guaranteed to be precise
            > (parallel) across its measure. Bunting Magnetics, for instance, will
            > not make a base larger than 8.5 by 11.25 inches as a standard. They
            > will make larger bases on special order but caution that they need to
            > be bolted to the press bed. The way around this is to put smaller
            > bases together as a composite.

            By working closely with the machinists that make our bases we've been able
            to hold the same thickness tolerances (+/- 0.001") on our large bases as on
            our small bases. A 24" x 24" base that fits in a Vandercook 325G will (on
            paper) have no more variation in thickness, flatness, or parallelism than
            our smallest 4.5" x 7.5" base. You're right in saying this is not easy.

            We have several customers using large bases (the 24" x 24" and the 17" x 21"
            as well) without needing to bolt them to the bed. In fact, we use both of
            these sizes in our shop as well, so I know from personal experience that the
            larger bases work just as well as the smaller ones. Although it it possible
            to butt several small bases together, it is less cost effective and we have
            to make sure that the thicknesses pair up well. For this reason, we
            recommend Vandercook users to go with the largest base possible for the bed
            of the press--within their budget, of course.

            Harold

            Boxcar Press