Re: [PPLetterpress] Scoring

  • Katie Harper
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 17, 2005
      Shelly:

      You can score on just about any press. You will need scoring rule. It is
      harder than ordinary rule; my scoring rule is steel, I think. Anyway, you
      lock this up in the chase as you would any other type of rule. Instead of
      regular furniture next to the rule, I take George Mills¹ advice and use a
      piece of 4 pica furniture turned on its side. It is still below type high
      but gives more support to the rule. (By the way, if you don¹t have a copy of
      George Mills book, ³Platen Press Operation,² do try to find one. It¹s
      indispensable.) You will print without ink, and be sure to remove your
      rollers, as a) you don¹t need them and b) scoring can damage them. It takes
      a bit of trial and error to get the exact scoring spot. I use my regular
      positioning methods and then do a trial run, folding and adjusting if
      necessary. I also put extra backing under the paper so the scoring can go a
      bit deeper than normal. I have a piece of thin rubber offset blanket that I
      use for this, but it depends on the paper you are trying to score. Sometimes
      you need a soft landing, and sometimes a hard landing is best. Score just
      deeply enough to give a smooth, nice fold.

      Hope this helps.

      Katie Harper
      Ars Brevis Press

      on 3/17/05 10:18 AM, Shelly Monte at thebookcenter@... wrote:

      > I have been watching the talk about scoring, and quite frankly I have not
      > needed to do that yet. Now I am interested to know how one would score on a
      > platen press. I have an 8x12 C&P.
      > Thanks,
      > Shelly
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129f09fig/M=298184.6191685.7192823.3001176/D=grou
      > ps/S=1706389862:HM/EXP=1111158723/A=2593423/R=0/SIG=11el9gslf/*http://www.netf
      > lix.com/Default?mqso=60190075>

      > *
      > *
      > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

    • Joel at D.L.
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 17, 2005
        Shelly-
        While everything Katie said about scoring is true, I might add that the
        "pros" also use a strip of scoring matrix, which is like a stick-on
        counter die to the scoring rule. Once the rule is locked up where it
        needs to be (in registration), you attach the matrix to the rule, expose
        the sticky back, and then close your press once to attach it to the
        platen. The matrix makes for a nice crisp score, so if you do a lot of
        scoring it is nice to have. That said, it does work to score against
        some soft, disposable packing.

        I'll give you a piece of matrix when you get that piece of film from me,
        and you can see what I am talking about. I got it from Ken Diecutting
        supplies. I don't have their info handy, but I found them on the
        internet so I'm sure you could too.

        Joel
        Dependable Letterpress
        San Francisco
      • John Cornelisse
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 17, 2005
          At 16:27 17-03-2005, you wrote:
          >Shelly:
          >
          >You can score on just about any press. You will need scoring rule. It is
          >harder than ordinary rule; my scoring rule is steel,......
          >Katie Harper
          >Ars Brevis Press
          Hi Shelly & Katie,

          On a cylinder-press it can be done likewise.

          A 1-point thin line, with one or two sheets of paper under it, will do the
          trick.

          Just apply a new clean sheets of paper to the makeready of the cylinder.
          I don't like smudging already printed paper.

          with a cylinder the pressure varies, placing the line parallel
          or perpendicular to the cylinder.

          Best wishes

          John Cornelisse

          Letter-press & Typefounding, Monotype-composition

          Vaartstraat 23
          4553 AN Philippine
          (Zeeuws Vlaanderen)
          The Netherlands
          + 31 - (0) 115 - 491184
          email: enkidu@...

          So she spoke to him and her word found favour,
          he knew by instinct, he should seek a friend.

        • Shelly Monte
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 17, 2005
            Thank you Joel, Katie and others for the information on scoring. I can only
            wait to have a chance to try it.
            Shelly
          • G. Shattenberg
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 21, 2005
              I did string scoring recently on a Golding Jobber and found it easy, fast
              and fun. Success is always entertaining. This method is from the Letpress
              Archives.

              1.) Lock up two pieces of rule longer than the score, with a one point lead
              between the pieces of rule.
              2.) Dab a little ink on the rule and print it on the tympan.
              3.) Stretch a piece of string between the printed lines, using tape to hold
              the string in place.
              4.) Remove packing so the rule does not buff the paper.

              The string stretches (dents) the outside of the fold (counter intuitive).

              Regards,
              Greg Shattenberg

              > I have been watching the talk about scoring, and quite frankly I have not
              > needed to do that yet. Now I am interested to know how one would score on
              > platen press. I have an 8x12 C&P.
              > Thanks,
              > Shelly
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Susan Angebranndt
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 22, 2005
                The May-August calendar of workshops and events at the San Francisco Center
                for the Book is now on our web site: <http://www.sfcb.org/>. A summary of
                the workshop highlights is available at
                <http://http://www.sfcb.org/php/wshighlights.php> or you can go straight to
                the calendar <http://www.sfcb.org/php/calendar.php>

                Our annual Summer Camp series has 9 week-long intensives this year in many
                areas of the books arts, from photographic imaging to historic book
                structures, from a letterpress master class to full leather binding, from
                contemporary book structures to a Victorian book box; you can see the list
                at <http://www.sfcb.org/php/summercamp.php>

                There is also a long list of free events at the Center over the summer,
                including a new series called "Third Thursdays", which parallels Booklyn
                East's longtime First Tuesday salons. Highlights of our free events are
                listed at
                <http://www.sfcb.org/php/whatsnew.php> or see a complete list at
                <http://www.sfcb.org/php/event.php>

                Susan Angebranndt
                webmaster, SFCB
              • leorawest
                Message 7 of 24 , Jul 31, 2007
                  We are currently using our C&P for scoring, but are finding that we
                  need to move this task off the press to accomodate our business. Any
                  suggestions on what type of scoring machine (or score/fold combo) to
                  get? We use minimum 80#, and up to 300# that we need to score quickly.
                  Thanks!
                • Scott Rubel
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jul 31, 2007
                    I saw the tri-creaser operate at a recent trade show and was
                    impressed with its functionality for the price. I decided right then
                    that I would rather use this machine for scoring than a letterpress
                    anymore. Technifold makes a big deal about its method because it
                    doesn't crack the fiber. They have a couple of demo videos on their
                    site.
                    http://www.technifoldusa.com

                    Rollem also had some great machines at the show, but for the lower
                    price ranges I think Technifold had them beat. It's hand fed, sort
                    of, but very fast. Setup is fast, too.
                    http://www.rollemusa.com

                    --Scott

                    On Jul 31, 2007, at 4:11 PM, leorawest wrote:

                    > We are currently using our C&P for scoring, but are finding that we
                    > need to move this task off the press to accomodate our business. Any
                    > suggestions on what type of scoring machine (or score/fold combo) to
                    > get? We use minimum 80#, and up to 300# that we need to score
                    > quickly.
                    > Thanks!
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Grover Gatewood
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jul 31, 2007
                      Good evening. Of course, buying any equipment all depends on your
                      budget and needs but we have found great success with a machine made
                      by the English company Morgana. It's called a Digifolder. I don't know
                      if it's available in the states (we purchased ours in Canada),
                      apparently Standard was going to handle it but opted out. However
                      Standard does sell a lesser model for creasing only, as it doesn't
                      fold like the Digifolder. The chief advantage of the Digifolder is the
                      fact that the machine knife scores before folding. This enables it to
                      deeply score an incredible range of stock. And you have complete
                      control over every aspect, it can crease and fold, or just crease, or
                      just fold, etc, etc. You can move the crease and fold positions
                      independently on the same setup, which is an amazing advantage for
                      complicated or fussy pieces. It's air feed and handles digital pieces
                      which often are slightly warped and difficult to feed on any machine,
                      really well. Makeready is a snap, cleaning and maintenance are easy.
                      We run an enormous amount of digitally-produced work on it without any
                      cracking or chipping problems. Its only disadvantages are that it's
                      not cheap and that it runs at just one speed but that hasn't been an
                      inconvenience for us because we typically run small quantities of very
                      high quality stock. Waste is an issue for us and with the Digifolder
                      there is next to none. If you can afford it and have a real need for a
                      dedicated scoring/folding machine for runs from as few as five up to
                      1,000+- and up to 12" x 18" typically, you won't find a better
                      solution. We have run as many as 5,000 of one job straight through it
                      but we'd suggest anything of greater quantity be done with a separate
                      score/fold system to increase working speed. Best regards, Grover
                      Gatewood, Iron Horse Graphics, Ltd.

                      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Scott Rubel <scott@...> wrote:

                      > I saw the tri-creaser operate at a recent trade show and was
                      > impressed with its functionality for the price. I decided right then
                      > that I would rather use this machine for scoring than a letterpress
                      > anymore. Technifold makes a big deal about its method because it
                      > doesn't crack the fiber. They have a couple of demo videos on their
                      > site.
                      > http://www.technifoldusa.com
                      >
                      > Rollem also had some great machines at the show, but for the lower
                      > price ranges I think Technifold had them beat. It's hand fed, sort
                      > of, but very fast. Setup is fast, too.
                      > http://www.rollemusa.com
                      >
                      > --Scott
                      >
                      > On Jul 31, 2007, at 4:11 PM, leorawest wrote:
                      >
                      > > We are currently using our C&P for scoring, but are finding that we
                      > > need to move this task off the press to accomodate our business. Any
                      > > suggestions on what type of scoring machine (or score/fold combo) to
                      > > get? We use minimum 80#, and up to 300# that we need to score
                      > > quickly.
                      > > Thanks!
                      > >

                      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • nagraph1
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jul 31, 2007
                        I'm trying to get 2 + 2 to equal 4 here, but Leora needs to move
                        from a slow hand fed platen to a high speed, high production rate
                        folder so they can expand their slow hand fed press work? Will it
                        take 3 shifts a day on the C&P to furnish even an hour's worth of
                        scoring/folding a day?

                        It occurs to me the bottle neck is not the scoring, but the
                        printing. The next step should be to increase overall production and
                        to me that would indicate getting an automatic press, preferably a
                        Heidelberg platen. For the cost of a scoring unit or attachment that
                        goes on an existing folder, a good, sound Heidleberg would be the
                        step to take. Once confidence is built up in the press, then both
                        printing and scoring could be done on that press in much less time
                        with higher quality than the C&P. The C&P could stay in printing
                        production and supplement the output of the automatic press.

                        In the good old days, it was general practice, even in union plants,
                        that one pressman could operate 2 Heidelberg platens, and where I
                        worked this was usually done every day of the work week. In later
                        years, I watched James Shanley at B Designs run 3 10x15 Heidelbergs
                        at one time. And B Designs turns out very nice work. To be saddled
                        with a slow production device like the C&P is not a long term
                        answer. The gadgets should come later once there is sound and
                        economical production underway. Press scores using scoring matrix
                        are hard to beat, despite the claims I saw on these videos and the
                        Heidelberg will walk away with a scoring job.

                        One objection to the Heidelberg is that it is intimidating. There
                        are a growing number of women printers who have taken on Heidelbergs
                        and are doing superb work. Julie Holcomb in Califronia comes to mind
                        as a woman printer who has built an exceptional business using not
                        one but a number of Heidelbergs, including a cylinder. She figured
                        out early on the value of consistent quality using quality,
                        precision equipment. And if a business is growing and is hampered by
                        slow equipment, the answer is not to keep on expanding the slow
                        aspect, but to move to the next level of quality and rate of
                        production.

                        Fritz

                        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Scott Rubel <scott@...> wrote:

                        > I saw the tri-creaser operate at a recent trade show and was
                        > impressed with its functionality for the price. I decided right
                        then
                        > that I would rather use this machine for scoring than a
                        letterpress
                        > anymore. Technifold makes a big deal about its method because it
                        > doesn't crack the fiber. They have a couple of demo videos on
                        their
                        > site.
                        > http://www.technifoldusa.com
                        >
                        > Rollem also had some great machines at the show, but for the
                        lower
                        > price ranges I think Technifold had them beat. It's hand fed,
                        sort
                        > of, but very fast. Setup is fast, too.
                        > http://www.rollemusa.com
                        >
                        > --Scott
                        >
                        > On Jul 31, 2007, at 4:11 PM, leorawest wrote:
                        >
                        > > We are currently using our C&P for scoring, but are finding that
                        we
                        > > need to move this task off the press to accomodate our
                        business. Any
                        > > suggestions on what type of scoring machine (or score/fold
                        combo) to
                        > > get? We use minimum 80#, and up to 300# that we need to score
                        > > quickly.
                        > > Thanks!
                        > >

                        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Scott Rubel
                        Message 11 of 24 , Aug 1, 2007
                          This example of holistic thinking is exquisite. Thank you for this,
                          Fritz. You have helped more than one member with this. --Scott Rubel

                          Message 12 of 24 , Aug 1, 2007
                            At 9:12 AM -0700 1 08 07, Scott Rubel wrote:
                            >This example of holistic thinking is exquisite. Thank you for this,
                            >Fritz. You have helped more than one member with this. --Scott Rubel

                            A gentleman, a scholar and a printer, Fritz is also obviously a good businessman

                            In other words, a real throwback ;-)

                            ...one of my very favorite 'old guys' was a guy from Venice who set the high tone for those who've followed...

                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldus_Manutius
                            whence:

                            http://www.fraterdeus.com/lettering/books/1543_Manutius_Venice/
                            (this one from Paolo, Aldo's son)

                            >nagraph1 wrote:
                            >
                            >>I'm trying to get 2 + 2 to equal 4 here, but Leora needs to move
                            >>from a slow hand fed platen to a high speed, high production rate
                            >>folder so they can expand their slow hand fed press work? Will it
                            >>take 3 shifts a day on the C&P to furnish even an hour's worth of
                            > >scoring/folding a day?

                            >ARTQ: Help stop in-box bloat! Always Remember to Trim the Quote!<

                            Semiotx Inc http://typeandmeaning.com Sign up for "Type and Meaning" !
                            Creative/IT facilitation "Free Range IT" Plone CMS Typography
                            Dubuque, Iowa http://www.fraterdeus.com
                            http://flickr.com/photos/pfraterdeus
                          • leorawest
                            Message 13 of 24 , Aug 1, 2007
                              Thank you for your sound advice, Fritz. Indeed, we already plan to
                              purchase Heidelberg in February or so when we move into a larger
                              space. However, we absolutely do not have the room to add a press at
                              our current location, and absolutely cannot move before the end of our
                              lease. (And yes, we are feeling lucky to be having "growing pains".)

                              We would really like to find a smallish, reliable scoring machine that,
                              even if only manually scores one at a time, could help us through this
                              transition period of about 6 months. Are we dreaming?

                              > >nagraph1 wrote:
                              > >
                              > >>I'm trying to get 2 + 2 to equal 4 here, but Leora needs to move
                              > >>from a slow hand fed platen to a high speed, high production rate
                              > >>folder so they can expand their slow hand fed press work? Will it
                              > >>take 3 shifts a day on the C&P to furnish even an hour's worth of
                              > > >scoring/folding a day?
                            • nagraph1
                              Message 14 of 24 , Aug 1, 2007
                                Well, you're on the right track. I don't know a thing about this
                                company, but check what they have:

                                http://www.adss.net/index.php?cPath=24_47

                                and the first non-manual machine they show is made by Rosback, a
                                well known and respected US company. The other brand I see that is
                                from Canada is Graphic Wizard, but these machine units equal that of
                                the Heidelberg in cost, though certainly don't take up the same
                                room. We used to supply Graphic Wizard with their scoring and
                                perforating discs as they are standard Cowan discs we make.

                                Fritz

                                --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "leorawest" <leorawest@...>
                                wrote:

                                > Thank you for your sound advice, Fritz. Indeed, we already plan
                                > purchase Heidelberg in February or so when we move into a larger
                                > space. However, we absolutely do not have the room to add a press
                                at
                                > our current location, and absolutely cannot move before the end of
                                our
                                > lease. (And yes, we are feeling lucky to be having "growing
                                pains".)

                                > We would really like to find a smallish, reliable scoring machine
                                that,
                                > even if only manually scores one at a time, could help us through
                                this
                                > transition period of about 6 months. Are we dreaming?

                              • Mel
                                Message 15 of 24 , Aug 2, 2007
                                  Take a look at the Fastbind C-400. There is one on Ebay right now
                                  (Auction 260144786204) for a very attractive price. I believe normal
                                  retail is about $1300. I was able to obtain one from a distributor for
                                  about $800 as it had been returned when the buyer returned it and the
                                  distributor wanted to peddle it as quickly as possible. I have been
                                  very happy with it, using it for cards and for book covers. You can
                                  see the other models they offer at http://www.maping.com/

                                  Mel
                                • alncarter2003
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Aug 6, 2007
                                    Scoring paper in quantity is the sort of work that's better done by a
                                    trade bindery than by yourself or your shop--that's what most
                                    commercial printers do. You could buy a heidelberg windmill or a
                                    miehle vertical to do that work but how long would it take you to pay
                                    that equipment off with whatever you charge for scoring--years?
                                    Instead, you simply send it out, get it done right, quickly, and
                                    cheaply, you mark it up and actually (gulp!) make a profit on the work
                                    instead of making an investment of time and money.

                                    --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "leorawest" <leorawest@...> wrote:

                                    > We are currently using our C&P for scoring, but are finding that we
                                    > need to move this task off the press to accomodate our business. Any
                                    > suggestions on what type of scoring machine (or score/fold combo) to
                                    > get? We use minimum 80#, and up to 300# that we need to score quickly.
                                    > Thanks!

                                  • Jamison Hiner
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jan 20, 2008
                                      I'm sick of Kinkos messing up my jobs. Im looking for a way to score
                                      some cards. I will either purchase a simple machine or do it on my
                                      press. Is there some sort of template that one can lock in his press
                                      to easily score different sized cards or is it just a matter of trial
                                      and error to get it centered?
                                    • Warren Gailbreath, Jr.
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jan 20, 2008
                                        Contact Fritz at NA Graphics. He has scoring Matrix
                                        and rule. I am sure he can direct you accordingly on
                                        how to utilize it and get great results.

                                        I score using Matrix everyday. I don't score without
                                        it.

                                        Warren Gailbreath,Jr.
                                        Southwest Finishing, Inc.
                                        Ft.Worth, Texas
                                        APA # 800
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jan 20, 2008
                                          Fritz, I'll be interested in this as well.

                                          Thx
                                          Peter

                                          At 9:38 AM -0800 20 01 08, Warren Gailbreath, Jr. wrote:
                                          >Contact Fritz at NA Graphics. He has scoring Matrix
                                          >and rule. I am sure he can direct you accordingly on
                                          >how to utilize it and get great results.
                                          >
                                          >I score using Matrix everyday. I don't score without
                                          >it.

                                          Dubuque, Iowa http://www.fraterdeus.com
                                          http://flickr.com/photos/pfraterdeus
                                          http://youtube.com/user/pfraterdeus
                                        • Scott Rubel
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jan 20, 2008
                                            Scoring is easier than printing, and no trial and error required.
                                            Assuming you are just scoring a card in half, you just need a rule
                                            from Fritz or somewhere. Lock it up, register it, and score away. If
                                            the cards are thick, you might want matrix, too. A small investment
                                            compared to the screwups of Kinkos, but just as easy.

                                            --Scott

                                            On Jan 20, 2008, at 7:09 AM, Jamison Hiner wrote:

                                            > I'm sick of Kinkos messing up my jobs. Im looking for a way to score
                                            > some cards. I will either purchase a simple machine or do it on my
                                            > press. Is there some sort of template that one can lock in his press
                                            > to easily score different sized cards or is it just a matter of trial
                                            > and error to get it centered?
                                            >

                                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                          • nagraph1
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Jan 20, 2008
                                              Treat a scoring job just like a printing job--lockup a piece of 2 pt
                                              steel scoring rule suitable for the work at hand, take the ink rollers
                                              off the press, get position for setting gauges (take a trial impression
                                              of the rule with a touch of ink on its face so you can see the rule
                                              printed on the tympan) and then use scoring matrix for the counter die
                                              that the rule pushes the paper into, and you're set after removing some
                                              packing to allow for the thickness of the backing used on the matrix.
                                              This is good for up to thousands of impressions and if laid out
                                              properly will give perfect scores in register. Matrix is sized
                                              according to thickness of the paper (not basis weight), adheres to the
                                              tympan, and is used once, then discarded. Anyone with a platen or
                                              cylinder press who sends their simple scoring work out needs to rethink
                                              what they are doing. Difficult die cutting and related should be done
                                              on the appropriate equipment, but scoring is simple. Keep it in house
                                              and keep the money where it belongs, in your pocket.

                                              Fritz

                                              ---------PLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Jamison Hiner" <jamie@...>
                                              wrote:

                                              > I'm sick of Kinkos messing up my jobs. Im looking for a way to score
                                              > some cards. I will either purchase a simple machine or do it on my
                                              > press. Is there some sort of template that one can lock in his press
                                              > to easily score different sized cards or is it just a matter of trial
                                              > and error to get it centered?

                                            • Jamison Hiner
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Jan 20, 2008
                                                I will definitely be doing my own scoring from here on out. Now I need
                                                help understanding which matrix I need to get. Most of my paper has
                                                been the nice thick 110# lettra 100% cotton

                                                Thank you all for your help
                                                Jamie

                                                --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "nagraph1" <nagraph@...> wrote:

                                                > Treat a scoring job just like a printing job--lockup a piece of 2 pt
                                                > steel scoring rule suitable for the work at hand, take the ink rollers
                                                > off the press, get position for setting gauges (take a trial impression
                                                > of the rule with a touch of ink on its face so you can see the rule
                                                > printed on the tympan) and then use scoring matrix for the counter die
                                                > that the rule pushes the paper into, and you're set after removing some
                                                > packing to allow for the thickness of the backing used on the matrix.
                                                > This is good for up to thousands of impressions and if laid out
                                                > properly will give perfect scores in register. Matrix is sized
                                                > according to thickness of the paper (not basis weight), adheres to the
                                                > tympan, and is used once, then discarded. Anyone with a platen or
                                                > cylinder press who sends their simple scoring work out needs to rethink
                                                > what they are doing. Difficult die cutting and related should be done
                                                > on the appropriate equipment, but scoring is simple. Keep it in house
                                                > and keep the money where it belongs, in your pocket.
                                                >
                                                > Fritz
                                                >
                                                > ---------PLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Jamison Hiner" <jamie@>
                                                > wrote:
                                                > >
                                                > > I'm sick of Kinkos messing up my jobs. Im looking for a way to score
                                                > > some cards. I will either purchase a simple machine or do it on my
                                                > > press. Is there some sort of template that one can lock in his press
                                                > > to easily score different sized cards or is it just a matter of trial
                                                > > and error to get it centered?

                                              • nagraph1
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Jan 20, 2008
                                                  Knowing the paper/thickness points towards mauve that handles .020
                                                  to .024, or olive, in the same thickness range, the difference being
                                                  that mauve has a channel width of 1.7mm and olive has a channel widh
                                                  of 1.9mm. We stock the mauve, but any of the matrix is an easy order.
                                                  The backer thickness is .009", so that much packing has to be removed
                                                  or the scoring rule acts like a cutting rule.

                                                  Fritz

                                                  --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Jamison Hiner" <jamie@...>