Scoring

  • Shelly Monte
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 17, 2005
      I have been watching the talk about scoring, and quite frankly I have not
      needed to do that yet. Now I am interested to know how one would score on a
      platen press. I have an 8x12 C&P.
      Thanks,
      Shelly
    • Katie Harper
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 17, 2005
        Shelly:

        You can score on just about any press. You will need scoring rule. It is
        harder than ordinary rule; my scoring rule is steel, I think. Anyway, you
        lock this up in the chase as you would any other type of rule. Instead of
        regular furniture next to the rule, I take George Mills¹ advice and use a
        piece of 4 pica furniture turned on its side. It is still below type high
        but gives more support to the rule. (By the way, if you don¹t have a copy of
        George Mills book, ³Platen Press Operation,² do try to find one. It¹s
        indispensable.) You will print without ink, and be sure to remove your
        rollers, as a) you don¹t need them and b) scoring can damage them. It takes
        a bit of trial and error to get the exact scoring spot. I use my regular
        positioning methods and then do a trial run, folding and adjusting if
        necessary. I also put extra backing under the paper so the scoring can go a
        bit deeper than normal. I have a piece of thin rubber offset blanket that I
        use for this, but it depends on the paper you are trying to score. Sometimes
        you need a soft landing, and sometimes a hard landing is best. Score just
        deeply enough to give a smooth, nice fold.

        Hope this helps.

        Katie Harper
        Ars Brevis Press

        on 3/17/05 10:18 AM, Shelly Monte at thebookcenter@... wrote:

        > I have been watching the talk about scoring, and quite frankly I have not
        > needed to do that yet. Now I am interested to know how one would score on a
        > platen press. I have an 8x12 C&P.
        > Thanks,
        > Shelly
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129f09fig/M=298184.6191685.7192823.3001176/D=grou
        > ps/S=1706389862:HM/EXP=1111158723/A=2593423/R=0/SIG=11el9gslf/*http://www.netf
        > lix.com/Default?mqso=60190075>

        > *
        > *
        > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • Joel at D.L.
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 17, 2005
          Shelly-
          While everything Katie said about scoring is true, I might add that the
          "pros" also use a strip of scoring matrix, which is like a stick-on
          counter die to the scoring rule. Once the rule is locked up where it
          needs to be (in registration), you attach the matrix to the rule, expose
          the sticky back, and then close your press once to attach it to the
          platen. The matrix makes for a nice crisp score, so if you do a lot of
          scoring it is nice to have. That said, it does work to score against
          some soft, disposable packing.

          I'll give you a piece of matrix when you get that piece of film from me,
          and you can see what I am talking about. I got it from Ken Diecutting
          supplies. I don't have their info handy, but I found them on the
          internet so I'm sure you could too.

          Joel
          Dependable Letterpress
          San Francisco
        • John Cornelisse
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 17, 2005
            At 16:27 17-03-2005, you wrote:
            >Shelly:
            >
            >You can score on just about any press. You will need scoring rule. It is
            >harder than ordinary rule; my scoring rule is steel,......
            >Katie Harper
            >Ars Brevis Press
            Hi Shelly & Katie,

            On a cylinder-press it can be done likewise.

            A 1-point thin line, with one or two sheets of paper under it, will do the
            trick.

            Just apply a new clean sheets of paper to the makeready of the cylinder.
            I don't like smudging already printed paper.

            with a cylinder the pressure varies, placing the line parallel
            or perpendicular to the cylinder.

            Best wishes

            John Cornelisse

            Letter-press & Typefounding, Monotype-composition

            Vaartstraat 23
            4553 AN Philippine
            (Zeeuws Vlaanderen)
            The Netherlands
            + 31 - (0) 115 - 491184
            email: enkidu@...

            So she spoke to him and her word found favour,
            he knew by instinct, he should seek a friend.

          • Shelly Monte
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 17, 2005
              Thank you Joel, Katie and others for the information on scoring. I can only
              wait to have a chance to try it.
              Shelly
            • G. Shattenberg
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 21, 2005
                I did string scoring recently on a Golding Jobber and found it easy, fast
                and fun. Success is always entertaining. This method is from the Letpress
                Archives.

                1.) Lock up two pieces of rule longer than the score, with a one point lead
                between the pieces of rule.
                2.) Dab a little ink on the rule and print it on the tympan.
                3.) Stretch a piece of string between the printed lines, using tape to hold
                the string in place.
                4.) Remove packing so the rule does not buff the paper.

                The string stretches (dents) the outside of the fold (counter intuitive).

                Regards,
                Greg Shattenberg

                > I have been watching the talk about scoring, and quite frankly I have not
                > needed to do that yet. Now I am interested to know how one would score on
                > platen press. I have an 8x12 C&P.
                > Thanks,
                > Shelly
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Susan Angebranndt
                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 22, 2005
                  The May-August calendar of workshops and events at the San Francisco Center
                  for the Book is now on our web site: <http://www.sfcb.org/>. A summary of
                  the workshop highlights is available at
                  <http://http://www.sfcb.org/php/wshighlights.php> or you can go straight to
                  the calendar <http://www.sfcb.org/php/calendar.php>

                  Our annual Summer Camp series has 9 week-long intensives this year in many
                  areas of the books arts, from photographic imaging to historic book
                  structures, from a letterpress master class to full leather binding, from
                  contemporary book structures to a Victorian book box; you can see the list
                  at <http://www.sfcb.org/php/summercamp.php>

                  There is also a long list of free events at the Center over the summer,
                  including a new series called "Third Thursdays", which parallels Booklyn
                  East's longtime First Tuesday salons. Highlights of our free events are
                  listed at
                  <http://www.sfcb.org/php/whatsnew.php> or see a complete list at
                  <http://www.sfcb.org/php/event.php>

                  Susan Angebranndt
                  webmaster, SFCB
                • leorawest
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jul 31 4:11 PM
                    We are currently using our C&P for scoring, but are finding that we
                    need to move this task off the press to accomodate our business. Any
                    suggestions on what type of scoring machine (or score/fold combo) to
                    get? We use minimum 80#, and up to 300# that we need to score quickly.
                    Thanks!
                  • Scott Rubel
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jul 31 4:24 PM
                      I saw the tri-creaser operate at a recent trade show and was
                      impressed with its functionality for the price. I decided right then
                      that I would rather use this machine for scoring than a letterpress
                      anymore. Technifold makes a big deal about its method because it
                      doesn't crack the fiber. They have a couple of demo videos on their
                      site.
                      http://www.technifoldusa.com

                      Rollem also had some great machines at the show, but for the lower
                      price ranges I think Technifold had them beat. It's hand fed, sort
                      of, but very fast. Setup is fast, too.
                      http://www.rollemusa.com

                      --Scott

                      On Jul 31, 2007, at 4:11 PM, leorawest wrote:

                      > We are currently using our C&P for scoring, but are finding that we
                      > need to move this task off the press to accomodate our business. Any
                      > suggestions on what type of scoring machine (or score/fold combo) to
                      > get? We use minimum 80#, and up to 300# that we need to score
                      > quickly.
                      > Thanks!
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Grover Gatewood
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jul 31 6:18 PM
                        Good evening. Of course, buying any equipment all depends on your
                        budget and needs but we have found great success with a machine made
                        by the English company Morgana. It's called a Digifolder. I don't know
                        if it's available in the states (we purchased ours in Canada),
                        apparently Standard was going to handle it but opted out. However
                        Standard does sell a lesser model for creasing only, as it doesn't
                        fold like the Digifolder. The chief advantage of the Digifolder is the
                        fact that the machine knife scores before folding. This enables it to
                        deeply score an incredible range of stock. And you have complete
                        control over every aspect, it can crease and fold, or just crease, or
                        just fold, etc, etc. You can move the crease and fold positions
                        independently on the same setup, which is an amazing advantage for
                        complicated or fussy pieces. It's air feed and handles digital pieces
                        which often are slightly warped and difficult to feed on any machine,
                        really well. Makeready is a snap, cleaning and maintenance are easy.
                        We run an enormous amount of digitally-produced work on it without any
                        cracking or chipping problems. Its only disadvantages are that it's
                        not cheap and that it runs at just one speed but that hasn't been an
                        inconvenience for us because we typically run small quantities of very
                        high quality stock. Waste is an issue for us and with the Digifolder
                        there is next to none. If you can afford it and have a real need for a
                        dedicated scoring/folding machine for runs from as few as five up to
                        1,000+- and up to 12" x 18" typically, you won't find a better
                        solution. We have run as many as 5,000 of one job straight through it
                        but we'd suggest anything of greater quantity be done with a separate
                        score/fold system to increase working speed. Best regards, Grover
                        Gatewood, Iron Horse Graphics, Ltd.

                        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Scott Rubel <scott@...> wrote:

                        > I saw the tri-creaser operate at a recent trade show and was
                        > impressed with its functionality for the price. I decided right then
                        > that I would rather use this machine for scoring than a letterpress
                        > anymore. Technifold makes a big deal about its method because it
                        > doesn't crack the fiber. They have a couple of demo videos on their
                        > site.
                        > http://www.technifoldusa.com
                        >
                        > Rollem also had some great machines at the show, but for the lower
                        > price ranges I think Technifold had them beat. It's hand fed, sort
                        > of, but very fast. Setup is fast, too.
                        > http://www.rollemusa.com
                        >
                        > --Scott
                        >
                        > On Jul 31, 2007, at 4:11 PM, leorawest wrote:
                        >
                        > > We are currently using our C&P for scoring, but are finding that we
                        > > need to move this task off the press to accomodate our business. Any
                        > > suggestions on what type of scoring machine (or score/fold combo) to
                        > > get? We use minimum 80#, and up to 300# that we need to score
                        > > quickly.
                        > > Thanks!
                        > >

                        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • nagraph1
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jul 31 8:41 PM
                          I'm trying to get 2 + 2 to equal 4 here, but Leora needs to move
                          from a slow hand fed platen to a high speed, high production rate
                          folder so they can expand their slow hand fed press work? Will it
                          take 3 shifts a day on the C&P to furnish even an hour's worth of
                          scoring/folding a day?

                          It occurs to me the bottle neck is not the scoring, but the
                          printing. The next step should be to increase overall production and
                          to me that would indicate getting an automatic press, preferably a
                          Heidelberg platen. For the cost of a scoring unit or attachment that
                          goes on an existing folder, a good, sound Heidleberg would be the
                          step to take. Once confidence is built up in the press, then both
                          printing and scoring could be done on that press in much less time
                          with higher quality than the C&P. The C&P could stay in printing
                          production and supplement the output of the automatic press.

                          In the good old days, it was general practice, even in union plants,
                          that one pressman could operate 2 Heidelberg platens, and where I
                          worked this was usually done every day of the work week. In later
                          years, I watched James Shanley at B Designs run 3 10x15 Heidelbergs
                          at one time. And B Designs turns out very nice work. To be saddled
                          with a slow production device like the C&P is not a long term
                          answer. The gadgets should come later once there is sound and
                          economical production underway. Press scores using scoring matrix
                          are hard to beat, despite the claims I saw on these videos and the
                          Heidelberg will walk away with a scoring job.

                          One objection to the Heidelberg is that it is intimidating. There
                          are a growing number of women printers who have taken on Heidelbergs
                          and are doing superb work. Julie Holcomb in Califronia comes to mind
                          as a woman printer who has built an exceptional business using not
                          one but a number of Heidelbergs, including a cylinder. She figured
                          out early on the value of consistent quality using quality,
                          precision equipment. And if a business is growing and is hampered by
                          slow equipment, the answer is not to keep on expanding the slow
                          aspect, but to move to the next level of quality and rate of
                          production.

                          Fritz

                          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Scott Rubel <scott@...> wrote:

                          > I saw the tri-creaser operate at a recent trade show and was
                          > impressed with its functionality for the price. I decided right
                          then
                          > that I would rather use this machine for scoring than a
                          letterpress
                          > anymore. Technifold makes a big deal about its method because it
                          > doesn't crack the fiber. They have a couple of demo videos on
                          their
                          > site.
                          > http://www.technifoldusa.com
                          >
                          > Rollem also had some great machines at the show, but for the
                          lower
                          > price ranges I think Technifold had them beat. It's hand fed,
                          sort
                          > of, but very fast. Setup is fast, too.
                          > http://www.rollemusa.com
                          >
                          > --Scott
                          >
                          > On Jul 31, 2007, at 4:11 PM, leorawest wrote:
                          >
                          > > We are currently using our C&P for scoring, but are finding that
                          we
                          > > need to move this task off the press to accomodate our
                          business. Any
                          > > suggestions on what type of scoring machine (or score/fold
                          combo) to
                          > > get? We use minimum 80#, and up to 300# that we need to score
                          > > quickly.
                          > > Thanks!
                          > >

                          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Scott Rubel
                          Message 12 of 24 , Aug 1, 2007
                            This example of holistic thinking is exquisite. Thank you for this,
                            Fritz. You have helped more than one member with this. --Scott Rubel

                            Message 13 of 24 , Aug 1, 2007
                              At 9:12 AM -0700 1 08 07, Scott Rubel wrote:
                              >This example of holistic thinking is exquisite. Thank you for this,
                              >Fritz. You have helped more than one member with this. --Scott Rubel

                              A gentleman, a scholar and a printer, Fritz is also obviously a good businessman

                              In other words, a real throwback ;-)

                              ...one of my very favorite 'old guys' was a guy from Venice who set the high tone for those who've followed...

                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldus_Manutius
                              whence:

                              http://www.fraterdeus.com/lettering/books/1543_Manutius_Venice/
                              (this one from Paolo, Aldo's son)

                              >nagraph1 wrote:
                              >
                              >>I'm trying to get 2 + 2 to equal 4 here, but Leora needs to move
                              >>from a slow hand fed platen to a high speed, high production rate
                              >>folder so they can expand their slow hand fed press work? Will it
                              >>take 3 shifts a day on the C&P to furnish even an hour's worth of
                              > >scoring/folding a day?

                              >ARTQ: Help stop in-box bloat! Always Remember to Trim the Quote!<

                              Semiotx Inc http://typeandmeaning.com Sign up for "Type and Meaning" !
                              Creative/IT facilitation "Free Range IT" Plone CMS Typography
                              Dubuque, Iowa http://www.fraterdeus.com
                              http://flickr.com/photos/pfraterdeus
                            • leorawest
                              Message 14 of 24 , Aug 1, 2007
                                Thank you for your sound advice, Fritz. Indeed, we already plan to
                                purchase Heidelberg in February or so when we move into a larger
                                space. However, we absolutely do not have the room to add a press at
                                our current location, and absolutely cannot move before the end of our
                                lease. (And yes, we are feeling lucky to be having "growing pains".)

                                We would really like to find a smallish, reliable scoring machine that,
                                even if only manually scores one at a time, could help us through this
                                transition period of about 6 months. Are we dreaming?

                                > >nagraph1 wrote:
                                > >
                                > >>I'm trying to get 2 + 2 to equal 4 here, but Leora needs to move
                                > >>from a slow hand fed platen to a high speed, high production rate
                                > >>folder so they can expand their slow hand fed press work? Will it
                                > >>take 3 shifts a day on the C&P to furnish even an hour's worth of
                                > > >scoring/folding a day?
                              • nagraph1
                                Message 15 of 24 , Aug 1, 2007
                                  Well, you're on the right track. I don't know a thing about this
                                  company, but check what they have:

                                  http://www.adss.net/index.php?cPath=24_47

                                  and the first non-manual machine they show is made by Rosback, a
                                  well known and respected US company. The other brand I see that is
                                  from Canada is Graphic Wizard, but these machine units equal that of
                                  the Heidelberg in cost, though certainly don't take up the same
                                  room. We used to supply Graphic Wizard with their scoring and
                                  perforating discs as they are standard Cowan discs we make.

                                  Fritz

                                  --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "leorawest" <leorawest@...>
                                  wrote:

                                  > Thank you for your sound advice, Fritz. Indeed, we already plan
                                  > purchase Heidelberg in February or so when we move into a larger
                                  > space. However, we absolutely do not have the room to add a press
                                  at
                                  > our current location, and absolutely cannot move before the end of
                                  our
                                  > lease. (And yes, we are feeling lucky to be having "growing
                                  pains".)

                                  > We would really like to find a smallish, reliable scoring machine
                                  that,
                                  > even if only manually scores one at a time, could help us through
                                  this
                                  > transition period of about 6 months. Are we dreaming?

                                • Mel
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Aug 2, 2007
                                    Take a look at the Fastbind C-400. There is one on Ebay right now
                                    (Auction 260144786204) for a very attractive price. I believe normal
                                    retail is about $1300. I was able to obtain one from a distributor for
                                    about $800 as it had been returned when the buyer returned it and the
                                    distributor wanted to peddle it as quickly as possible. I have been
                                    very happy with it, using it for cards and for book covers. You can
                                    see the other models they offer at http://www.maping.com/

                                    Mel
                                  • alncarter2003
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Aug 6, 2007
                                      Scoring paper in quantity is the sort of work that's better done by a
                                      trade bindery than by yourself or your shop--that's what most
                                      commercial printers do. You could buy a heidelberg windmill or a
                                      miehle vertical to do that work but how long would it take you to pay
                                      that equipment off with whatever you charge for scoring--years?
                                      Instead, you simply send it out, get it done right, quickly, and
                                      cheaply, you mark it up and actually (gulp!) make a profit on the work
                                      instead of making an investment of time and money.

                                      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "leorawest" <leorawest@...> wrote:

                                      > We are currently using our C&P for scoring, but are finding that we
                                      > need to move this task off the press to accomodate our business. Any
                                      > suggestions on what type of scoring machine (or score/fold combo) to
                                      > get? We use minimum 80#, and up to 300# that we need to score quickly.
                                      > Thanks!

                                    • Jamison Hiner
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jan 20, 2008
                                        I'm sick of Kinkos messing up my jobs. Im looking for a way to score
                                        some cards. I will either purchase a simple machine or do it on my
                                        press. Is there some sort of template that one can lock in his press
                                        to easily score different sized cards or is it just a matter of trial
                                        and error to get it centered?
                                      • Warren Gailbreath, Jr.
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jan 20, 2008
                                          Contact Fritz at NA Graphics. He has scoring Matrix
                                          and rule. I am sure he can direct you accordingly on
                                          how to utilize it and get great results.

                                          I score using Matrix everyday. I don't score without
                                          it.

                                          Warren Gailbreath,Jr.
                                          Southwest Finishing, Inc.
                                          Ft.Worth, Texas
                                          APA # 800
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jan 20, 2008
                                            Fritz, I'll be interested in this as well.

                                            Thx
                                            Peter

                                            At 9:38 AM -0800 20 01 08, Warren Gailbreath, Jr. wrote:
                                            >Contact Fritz at NA Graphics. He has scoring Matrix
                                            >and rule. I am sure he can direct you accordingly on
                                            >how to utilize it and get great results.
                                            >
                                            >I score using Matrix everyday. I don't score without
                                            >it.

                                            Dubuque, Iowa http://www.fraterdeus.com
                                            http://flickr.com/photos/pfraterdeus
                                            http://youtube.com/user/pfraterdeus
                                          • Scott Rubel
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Jan 20, 2008
                                              Scoring is easier than printing, and no trial and error required.
                                              Assuming you are just scoring a card in half, you just need a rule
                                              from Fritz or somewhere. Lock it up, register it, and score away. If
                                              the cards are thick, you might want matrix, too. A small investment
                                              compared to the screwups of Kinkos, but just as easy.

                                              --Scott

                                              On Jan 20, 2008, at 7:09 AM, Jamison Hiner wrote:

                                              > I'm sick of Kinkos messing up my jobs. Im looking for a way to score
                                              > some cards. I will either purchase a simple machine or do it on my
                                              > press. Is there some sort of template that one can lock in his press
                                              > to easily score different sized cards or is it just a matter of trial
                                              > and error to get it centered?
                                              >

                                              > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                            • nagraph1
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Jan 20, 2008
                                                Treat a scoring job just like a printing job--lockup a piece of 2 pt
                                                steel scoring rule suitable for the work at hand, take the ink rollers
                                                off the press, get position for setting gauges (take a trial impression
                                                of the rule with a touch of ink on its face so you can see the rule
                                                printed on the tympan) and then use scoring matrix for the counter die
                                                that the rule pushes the paper into, and you're set after removing some
                                                packing to allow for the thickness of the backing used on the matrix.
                                                This is good for up to thousands of impressions and if laid out
                                                properly will give perfect scores in register. Matrix is sized
                                                according to thickness of the paper (not basis weight), adheres to the
                                                tympan, and is used once, then discarded. Anyone with a platen or
                                                cylinder press who sends their simple scoring work out needs to rethink
                                                what they are doing. Difficult die cutting and related should be done
                                                on the appropriate equipment, but scoring is simple. Keep it in house
                                                and keep the money where it belongs, in your pocket.

                                                Fritz

                                                ---------PLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Jamison Hiner" <jamie@...>
                                                wrote:

                                                > I'm sick of Kinkos messing up my jobs. Im looking for a way to score
                                                > some cards. I will either purchase a simple machine or do it on my
                                                > press. Is there some sort of template that one can lock in his press
                                                > to easily score different sized cards or is it just a matter of trial
                                                > and error to get it centered?

                                              • Jamison Hiner
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Jan 20, 2008
                                                  I will definitely be doing my own scoring from here on out. Now I need
                                                  help understanding which matrix I need to get. Most of my paper has
                                                  been the nice thick 110# lettra 100% cotton

                                                  Thank you all for your help
                                                  Jamie

                                                  --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "nagraph1" <nagraph@...> wrote:

                                                  > Treat a scoring job just like a printing job--lockup a piece of 2 pt
                                                  > steel scoring rule suitable for the work at hand, take the ink rollers
                                                  > off the press, get position for setting gauges (take a trial impression
                                                  > of the rule with a touch of ink on its face so you can see the rule
                                                  > printed on the tympan) and then use scoring matrix for the counter die
                                                  > that the rule pushes the paper into, and you're set after removing some
                                                  > packing to allow for the thickness of the backing used on the matrix.
                                                  > This is good for up to thousands of impressions and if laid out
                                                  > properly will give perfect scores in register. Matrix is sized
                                                  > according to thickness of the paper (not basis weight), adheres to the
                                                  > tympan, and is used once, then discarded. Anyone with a platen or
                                                  > cylinder press who sends their simple scoring work out needs to rethink
                                                  > what they are doing. Difficult die cutting and related should be done
                                                  > on the appropriate equipment, but scoring is simple. Keep it in house
                                                  > and keep the money where it belongs, in your pocket.
                                                  >
                                                  > Fritz
                                                  >
                                                  > ---------PLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Jamison Hiner" <jamie@>
                                                  > wrote:
                                                  > >
                                                  > > I'm sick of Kinkos messing up my jobs. Im looking for a way to score
                                                  > > some cards. I will either purchase a simple machine or do it on my
                                                  > > press. Is there some sort of template that one can lock in his press
                                                  > > to easily score different sized cards or is it just a matter of trial
                                                  > > and error to get it centered?

                                                • nagraph1
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Jan 20, 2008
                                                    Knowing the paper/thickness points towards mauve that handles .020
                                                    to .024, or olive, in the same thickness range, the difference being
                                                    that mauve has a channel width of 1.7mm and olive has a channel widh
                                                    of 1.9mm. We stock the mauve, but any of the matrix is an easy order.
                                                    The backer thickness is .009", so that much packing has to be removed
                                                    or the scoring rule acts like a cutting rule.

                                                    Fritz

                                                    --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Jamison Hiner" <jamie@...>