Re: [PPLetterpress] Pricing

  • Daniel Petrzelka
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 5, 2005
      Shelly,

      I've asked this question on Letpress, as have others ( I don't know
      about this list). As with almost any business, most of the people on
      this list will not give you any hard numbers- some people (who cannot
      be blamed) don't feel comfortable sharing their pricing, and any
      numbers they give you would be only vaguely related to what you should
      charge. Like any business-- figure out your overhead (rent, power,
      equipment), materials cost, and how much you want to make an hour.
      There are some simple formulas for coming up with a rough idea.

      Go to the Letpress Archives (
      http://hermes.csd.unb.ca/archives/letpress.html ) and search for
      pricing, or other related terms. Its all in there.

      One gentleman on the list even wrote a PC based program for figuring
      quotes from all of the variables involved in pricing printing ( try it
      for free, then a very reasonable price if you want to keep using it.
      Very cool) - I think it was Lance Williams.

      DON'T UNDERVALUE YOUR PRINTING-- the worst thing you can do, for the
      letterpress community as a whole, is under price your work. Even if you
      are a hobbyist-- there are people who make a living doing this, and out
      of respect for everyone, and your self, you should charge a fair price.

      Daniel Petrzelka
    • Roderick
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 5, 2005
        Hi Shelly,

        Pricing is very fickle. I agree with Daniel. Don't undervalue
        yourself. Here are a few resources that I found last year, just
        follow the links. makeready.org/index.php?id=6 .

        Best, Roderick

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • kevinmcox04
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 18 11:00 AM
          Shelly, a great resource I've found is a book titled The Business Side Of Creativity by
          Cameron S. Foote. It goes into great detail on establishing a pricing structure that is
          relevant to an individuals business. Like others have stated, there are no set pricing
          structures, it's all relevant to each businesses circumstances. And I will reiterate what
          others have said, don't undervalue your work! This is happening in the graphic design field
          where "designers" are offering their services dirt-cheap on sites like ebay and elance and
          now a lot of business owners are expecting good design services at severely cut-rates. It
          seems everyone wants a logo for $250 and they expect it to be done in 5 working days
          with unlimited revisions. It's very difficult to get beyond this mindset once it's established.
          This is one of the reasons I'm moving from commercial graphic design to designing and
          producing my own line of products.

          Be sure to check out the book I mentioned, it has a lot of good information.
          Kevin.