Pricing

  • Shelly Monte
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 5 10:22 AM
      Dear printers, I have somewhat opened up print shop doors, I am a novice at
      this and a few orders are in the works for business cards. Has anyone out
      there information for me on pricing and price quotes, business formulas, or
      such things. I have been watching the discussions and have not seen any
      such dithyramb so I hope that this request is appropriate and not out of
      keeping with the guidelines of the group. Thanks for your help.
      Shelly

    • Lance Williams
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 5 10:24 AM
        Shelly,

        I wrote a simple printing price estimator program for myself and am
        offering it to other printers for the modest fee of $30 for registration.
        A shareware version with a 30-day unlimited usage window is available for
        download at:

        http://software.kadetstationery.com

        Hope it helps you out....

        - Lance Williams
        Williams Stationery Co.
        Camden, NY 13316

      • Daniel Petrzelka
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 5 10:34 AM
          Shelly,

          I've asked this question on Letpress, as have others ( I don't know
          about this list). As with almost any business, most of the people on
          this list will not give you any hard numbers- some people (who cannot
          be blamed) don't feel comfortable sharing their pricing, and any
          numbers they give you would be only vaguely related to what you should
          charge. Like any business-- figure out your overhead (rent, power,
          equipment), materials cost, and how much you want to make an hour.
          There are some simple formulas for coming up with a rough idea.

          Go to the Letpress Archives (
          http://hermes.csd.unb.ca/archives/letpress.html ) and search for
          pricing, or other related terms. Its all in there.

          One gentleman on the list even wrote a PC based program for figuring
          quotes from all of the variables involved in pricing printing ( try it
          for free, then a very reasonable price if you want to keep using it.
          Very cool) - I think it was Lance Williams.

          DON'T UNDERVALUE YOUR PRINTING-- the worst thing you can do, for the
          letterpress community as a whole, is under price your work. Even if you
          are a hobbyist-- there are people who make a living doing this, and out
          of respect for everyone, and your self, you should charge a fair price.

          Daniel Petrzelka
        • Roderick
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 5 12:55 PM
            Hi Shelly,

            Pricing is very fickle. I agree with Daniel. Don't undervalue
            yourself. Here are a few resources that I found last year, just
            follow the links. makeready.org/index.php?id=6 .

            Best, Roderick

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • kevinmcox04
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 18, 2005
              Shelly, a great resource I've found is a book titled The Business Side Of Creativity by
              Cameron S. Foote. It goes into great detail on establishing a pricing structure that is
              relevant to an individuals business. Like others have stated, there are no set pricing
              structures, it's all relevant to each businesses circumstances. And I will reiterate what
              others have said, don't undervalue your work! This is happening in the graphic design field
              where "designers" are offering their services dirt-cheap on sites like ebay and elance and
              now a lot of business owners are expecting good design services at severely cut-rates. It
              seems everyone wants a logo for $250 and they expect it to be done in 5 working days
              with unlimited revisions. It's very difficult to get beyond this mindset once it's established.
              This is one of the reasons I'm moving from commercial graphic design to designing and
              producing my own line of products.

              Be sure to check out the book I mentioned, it has a lot of good information.
              Kevin.