No ink on plates

  • Shelly Monte
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2005
      Hi there, it¹s Shelly again. After some attempts to mentally accept the
      suggestions to raise the rollers or raise the rails, using tape or other
      such things, I luckily happened on a very nice solution. I admit a love for
      this old machine and would like to keep it looking really pretty. Anyway, I
      was in the shop and found a few long strips of magnetic material. They had
      been used to mount a sign on something years ago. I cleaned them off, cut
      them to a length and width to match the same measurement as the rails, and
      let them hold themselves in place. It took two strips of this magnetic
      material on each side to reach the desired height. The strips are about
      1/8² thick or so. There was a tiny bit of creeping after a long job run. I
      didn¹t have to stop during the printing to adjust anything. So I would say
      that the solution worked quite well. To make it real sure proof, I could
      put some double adhesive down, and I¹m sure they wouldn¹t move at all .
      There was absolutely no ink on the base or where it should not be on the
      plate. The real happy ending is that you would never even notice anything
      being makeshift if you were to closely observe the press. The metal
      magnetic strips blend right in on the press. I think that for me the focus
      to raise the rails made a bit more sense than to raise the rollers. The
      only reason why I thought that was because the rails move less than the
      rollers and I assumed they would have less friction and less trouble to find
      a solution. Anyway, thanks for all of the suggestions and support.
      A Happy Printing Day,
      Shelly

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2005
        Shelly

        Brilliant. Amazing what one can do with magnetized rubber. Thanks.

        Gerald

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Shelly Monte
        <thebookcenter@s...> wrote:
        > Hi there, it¹s Shelly again. After some attempts to mentally accept the
        > suggestions to raise the rollers or raise the rails, using tape or other
        > such things, I luckily happened on a very nice solution. I admit a
        love for
        > this old machine and would like to keep it looking really pretty.
        Anyway, I
        > was in the shop and found a few long strips of magnetic material.
        They had
        > been used to mount a sign on something years ago. I cleaned them
        off, cut
        > them to a length and width to match the same measurement as the
        rails, and
        > let them hold themselves in place. It took two strips of this magnetic
        > material on each side to reach the desired height. The strips are about
        > 1/8² thick or so. There was a tiny bit of creeping after a long job
        run. I
        > didn¹t have to stop during the printing to adjust anything. So I
        would say
        > that the solution worked quite well. To make it real sure proof, I
        could
        > put some double adhesive down, and I¹m sure they wouldn¹t move at all .
        > There was absolutely no ink on the base or where it should not be on the
        > plate. The real happy ending is that you would never even notice
        anything
        > being makeshift if you were to closely observe the press. The metal
        > magnetic strips blend right in on the press. I think that for me
        the focus
        > to raise the rails made a bit more sense than to raise the rollers. The
        > only reason why I thought that was because the rails move less than the
        > rollers and I assumed they would have less friction and less trouble
        to find
        > a solution. Anyway, thanks for all of the suggestions and support.
        > A Happy Printing Day,
        > Shelly

      • Katie Harper
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 3, 2005
          Good for you, Shelly!

          You¹ll find that as a printer you become very creative in finding solutions
          so such problems as these, and thank you for sharing. I for one had no idea
          that you needed to raise your rails quite so high. Like many of the
          responders to your post, I was thinking of a very small thickness, such as
          the thickness of a piece of masking tape. If your magnetic strips were about
          1/8², and you had to use two of them, you must have needed something like
          1/4² of adjustment, which is way out. Sounds like your roller trucks are
          wrong, or your rollers are too large in diameter. I suggest you might check
          with NA Graphics to get the right ones.

          In any case, congrats on your solution!

          Katie Harper
          Ars Brevis Press