Re: [PPLetterpress] Paper

  • Jessica Spring
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 2, 2005
      You might try Dolphin Papers:
      http://homepage.mac.com/dolphinpapers/Catalog2004.htm

      > From: Mark Bauder <sonomaprinters@...>
      > Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 13:05:57 +0000
      > To: <PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com>
      > Subject: [PPLetterpress] Paper
      >

      > Hi,
      >
      > Does anyone know of a source for Somerset Velvet 300gm 22" x 30" Soft White
      > stock besides Legion Paper. Thanks in advance.
      >
      > Mark Bauder
      > Sonoma Printers
      > Vallejo, California
      > 707/644-4186
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Susan MAKOV
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 2, 2005
        From what I understand, because I had tried to get the best price for
        these papers, Legion is a subsiary of Canson USA, which is the importer
        for this paper from France. I was told that I would have to purchase
        about $30,000 worth of paper per year to get a discount beyond what
        several retailers sell their paper at. Wholesalers do not want to
        compete with their retailers. I have used Kinsella papers, which for the
        papers I wish to purchase, is as good as I could find.

        If anyone else has a solution, I would love to know what you found out.

        Susan Makov, Weber State University
      • Katie Harper
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 2, 2005
          Try Stephen Kinsella Papers in St. Louis. They have been my sole supplier of
          this paper for years. Large catalog; Great prices and service.

          Katie Harper
          Ars Brevis Press
          Beverly, MA

          on 3/2/05 8:05 AM, Mark Bauder at sonomaprinters@... wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > Does anyone know of a source for Somerset Velvet 300gm 22" x 30" Soft White
          > stock besides Legion Paper. Thanks in advance.
          >
          > Mark Bauder
          > Sonoma Printers
          > Vallejo, California
          > 707/644-4186
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129jkvmnv/M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=grou
          > ps/S=1706389862:HM/EXP=1109884063/A=2593423/R=0/SIG=11el9gslf/*http://www.netf
          > lix.com/Default?mqso=60190075>

          > *
          > *
          > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        • Roderick
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 2, 2005
            Hi Mark,

            ASW Express > http://www.aswexpress.com/ < has the best price, I've
            found, outside of Legion. Depending on quantity, it may be cheaper to
            order from Legion. Warm regards, Roderick

            --- Jessica Spring <springtide@...> wrote:

            > You might try Dolphin Papers:
            > http://homepage.mac.com/dolphinpapers/Catalog2004.htm
            >
            > > From: Mark Bauder <sonomaprinters@...>
            > > Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 13:05:57 +0000
            > > To: <PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com>
            > > Subject: [PPLetterpress] Paper
            > >

            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > Does anyone know of a source for Somerset Velvet 300gm 22" x 30"
            > Soft White
            > > stock besides Legion Paper. Thanks in advance.
            > >
            > > Mark Bauder
            > > Sonoma Printers
            > > Vallejo, California
            > > 707/644-4186
            > >

            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

            __________________________________
            Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
          • Roderick
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 2, 2005
              Hi Susan,

              The last time I ordered from Legion I hit their magic number of $250.
              Pricewise, the Somerset paper I ordered from them was cheaper than
              ANY store online or otherwise that I could find. Best, Roderick

              --- Susan MAKOV <smakov@...> wrote:

              > From what I understand, because I had tried to get the best price
              > for
              > these papers, Legion is a subsiary of Canson USA, which is the
              > importer
              > for this paper from France. I was told that I would have to
              > purchase
              > about $30,000 worth of paper per year to get a discount beyond what
              > several retailers sell their paper at. Wholesalers do not want to
              > compete with their retailers. I have used Kinsella papers, which
              > for the
              > papers I wish to purchase, is as good as I could find.
              >
              > If anyone else has a solution, I would love to know what you found
              > out.
              >
              > Susan Makov, Weber State University

              __________________________________
              Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
            • Kim Vanderheiden
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 3, 2005
                I also highly recommend Stephen Kinsella Paper in St. Louis. I've been
                working with them for years, and even now that I am working at a high
                enough volume to make certain purchases from Legion, Kinsella still
                gets a lot of my business because I'm not required to buy full
                packages, and minimum order is something like $35. You can get their
                phone number and download their price list on line.
                www.kinsellaartpapers.com/home.htm

                Kim Vanderheiden
                The Painted Tongue Press
                Oakland, CA

                > Message: 4
                > Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 13:05:57 +0000
                > From: Mark Bauder <sonomaprinters@...>
                > Subject: Paper
                >
                > Hi,
                >
                > Does anyone know of a source for Somerset Velvet 300gm 22" x 30" Soft
                > White
                > stock besides Legion Paper. Thanks in advance.
                >
                > Mark Bauder
                > Sonoma Printers
                > Vallejo, California
                > 707/644-4186
                >

                > Message: 7
                > Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 16:15:30 -0700
                > From: "Susan MAKOV" <smakov@...>
                > Subject: Re: Paper
                >
                > . . . I have used Kinsella papers, which for the
                > papers I wish to purchase, is as good as I could find.
                >
                > If anyone else has a solution, I would love to know what you found out.
                >
                > Susan Makov, Weber State University
                >

                > Message: 8
                > Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 18:52:14 -0500
                > From: Katie Harper <knharper@...>
                > Subject: Re: Paper
                >
                > Try Stephen Kinsella Papers in St. Louis. They have been my sole
                > supplier of
                > this paper for years. Large catalog; Great prices and service.
                >
                > Katie Harper
                > Ars Brevis Press
                > Beverly, MA

              • Robert McGonigle
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 4, 2005
                  Hello:

                  Legion is part of Gould Paper based in New York.
                  Legion represents Canson and other foreign mills here
                  in the states.

                  Bob

                  --- Susan MAKOV <smakov@...> wrote:
                  > From what I understand, because I had tried to get
                  > the best price for
                  > these papers, Legion is a subsiary of Canson USA,
                  > which is the importer
                  > for this paper from France. I was told that I would
                  > have to purchase
                  > about $30,000 worth of paper per year to get a
                  > discount beyond what
                  > several retailers sell their paper at. Wholesalers
                  > do not want to
                  > compete with their retailers. I have used Kinsella
                  > papers, which for the
                  > papers I wish to purchase, is as good as I could
                  > find.
                  >
                  > If anyone else has a solution, I would love to know
                  > what you found out.
                  >
                  > Susan Makov, Weber State University

                  Bob McGonigle
                  18 George Street
                  Milford, CT 06460
                  203-876-7615
                  bobmcgonigle@...

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Don Drake
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 5, 2005
                    Greetings printers,

                    I am seeking prices for letterpress work for the components of my
                    current limited edition. This will be the first of 3 similar projects
                    that will be produced during the next 2 years.

                    Part 1
                    Quantity: 65
                    Paper: #100 Mohawk Superfine Cover, White
                    Ink: Light neutral Pantone, exact number to be determined. Possibly in
                    the warm grey range.
                    There will be four 9x13" sheets (finished size) to be printed front and
                    back. These sheets will later be folded to folios of 9x6.5" pages. The
                    printing on these sheets is minimal, consisting of the page number at
                    the bottom of each page. Deep impressions will not be desirable since
                    these are printed both sides.

                    Part 2
                    Quantity: 65
                    Paper: 280 gsm Rives BFK, Off White
                    Ink: Same as part 1
                    This will be a 4.5x6.625" panel (finished size) more or less filled
                    with text.

                    Part 3
                    Quantity: 115
                    Paper: 280 gsm Rives BFK, Off White
                    Ink: Same as part 1
                    This will be a 4.5x6.625" panel (finished size) more or less filled
                    with text.

                    Part 4
                    Quantity: 65
                    Paper: 280 gsm Rives BFK, Off White
                    Ink: Same as part 1
                    This will be a 9x13.25" sheet (finished size) to be printed 1 side.
                    This sheet will be folded down to two 9x6.5 panels with a .25" spine.
                    The content will be the title page information.

                    I will provide the paper as parent sheets or cut as you require. The
                    page content will be sent as digital pages, either EPS files with fonts
                    converted to outlines or PDFs with fonts embedded. Gang the work as you
                    see fit, I will do the cutting later. Eventually all the pages will
                    need to be scored for folding. If you want to bid this also, feel free.
                    I may do the scoring myself.

                    I would prefer itemized quotes so I can ball park things if specs
                    change for some reason. Let me know how long your quote is good for and
                    what kind of turn-around time I can expect. I need pricing by start of
                    day Friday, March 11. I will have a scheduling/strategy meeting on
                    March 11.

                    Call, email or IM for further details,
                    Don Drake
                    Dreaming Mind