turning images into letterpress-able files--learning resources?

  • amymscott
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2005
      Hi, I'm new--first post!

      I've done some letterpress, but now want to experiment with printing
      with photopolymer plates. I get the basics (I'm moderately familiar
      with photoshop and the macromedia suite, but mostly from a web
      design angle)--but can you all recommend some resources (books?
      software?) that can help me get better at converting art (photos,
      scans, etc.) to files that can be used to make decent
      negatives/plates? I sort of stink at it right now :)

      THANK YOU!
      Amy
    • Carole Aldrich
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2005
        "Real World Scanning and Halftones" by David Blatner, Glenn Fleishman &
        Steve Roth is the bible of scanning.
        "Adobe Photoshop Studio Techniques" by Ben Willmore has a great section
        of scanning and converting line art.
        both published by Peachpit Press.

        Carole Aldrich
        carolealdrich@...
        909-625-7722
        909-625-9822 fax

      • Katie Harper
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2, 2005
          There is a very informative book that is entitled something like ³Printing
          with the Sun² which is about using a product called Solarplate, a name brand
          of photo polymer. Same principles apply, although things shift if you are
          printing intaglio versus relief (letterpress). If you are experimenting and
          don¹t need to have fine detail, you can make your own plates; you can even
          make your own negatives on a laser or ink jet printer. If you are looking
          for critical detail, as in commercial work, you are better off creating your
          files and giving them to a professional platemaker. It¹s still good to know
          how to make the right kind of file, however. For more information online,
          try www.boxcarpress.com

          Katie Harper
          Ars Brevis Press
          Beverly, MA