Re: [PPLetterpress] Ink on plates,

  • Gary Mordhorst
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1 6:15 AM
      Hi Harold,

      Hold on yourself pilgrim, just trying to keep it simple for new folks.
      Of course there are no hard and fast rules, including building up rails
      instead of trucks.

      Roller trucks are manufactured smaller than roller sizes. On a 10 X 15
      C+P, considerably smaller. There is no way that your trucks wore down
      in size. The trucks are rolling and not grinding, and surely you have
      not found little piles of metal shavings around the press.

      Everyone does what works for them. It the only way to set rollers was
      to match up the roller and truck size, what was the purpose in making
      roller height gauges?

      Gary

    • Harold Kyle
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1 8:51 AM
        On 3/1/05 9:15 AM, "Gary Mordhorst" <gary@...> wrote:
        > Hold on yourself pilgrim, just trying to keep it simple for new folks.
        > Of course there are no hard and fast rules, including building up rails
        > instead of trucks.

        Sorry if I didn't keep it simple. I should have said simply start by adding
        tape to the rails. Don't monkey with the trucks unless you're having
        problems with slurring.

        > There is no way that your trucks wore down
        > in size. The trucks are rolling and not grinding, and surely you have
        > not found little piles of metal shavings around the press.

        On a Windmill, the trucks are plastic. We have a newer Windmill that was
        never used for printing and its trucks, never used, measure 2.000" versus
        this press's 1.990". The electrical tape, it seems, got a little squishy
        overnight so we're just planning to replace the trucks entirely.

        Your point, that trucks don't typically wear down, is further reason to
        adjust the rails, which do.

        > Everyone does what works for them.

        Agreed. Sorry if I sounded missionary in my post. I was just trying to save
        others from the headache that I've had over the last few weeks dealing with
        trucks of the wrong diameter. By all means, do whatever works.

        Harold

        Boxcar Press
      • Fritz Klinke
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 1 9:16 AM
          But trucks do wear, even "metal" ones, and they were typically made from cast
          iron on the older presses. We often have all 4 or 6 trucks sent to us when
          rollers are remade and they measure all over the place and rarely are they exact
          from one truck to the next. We then will use an average diameter for the rollers
          and if really out of size, have new trucks made.

          Fritz

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 2 1:14 AM
            I don't know the manufacturer but apparently there are replicated C&P
            trucks, and probably others, cast and fitted in a form of plastic. I
            occasionally run across this on eBay, being sold as new and on a buy
            it now basis. Anyone know anymore about these?

            Gerald

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 2 6:03 AM
              On 3/2/05 4:14 AM, "Gerald Lange" <bieler@...> wrote:
              > I don't know the manufacturer but apparently there are replicated C&P
              > trucks, and probably others, cast and fitted in a form of plastic. I
              > occasionally run across this on eBay, being sold as new and on a buy
              > it now basis. Anyone know anymore about these?

              I know NA Graphics sells Delrin trucks for C&P presses (and presumably for
              other makes as well). Highly recommended.

              Harold

              Boxcar Press