Re: [PPLetterpress] Heidelberg Windmill

  • Regis Graden
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 24, 2005
      Dane,

      The only safe and sane way to move a press such as this is a professional machinery mover.

      One slip by an amateur and the press is destroyed and someone can get really hurt.

      Sincerely,

      Regis

      thornvilla <dane@...> wrote:

      Hi,

      I have a 10" x 15" heidelberg windmill which i have to move, and
      will have to remove the front section in order to get it through a
      doorway.
      Does anyone have experience with dismantling (and reassembling)
      these? Is this a job best left to the professionals?

      Thanks in advance for and tips or advice you may be willing to offer

      regards,

      Dane

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • Daniel Petrzelka
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 24, 2005
        I think people need to be careful about suggesting the "only" way to
        move things.

        I agree that a professional mover is a wonderful way to move large
        presses and machinery. Though I've also heard horror stories of
        underinsured movers, who don't respect the value of a great press, and
        have done irreparable damage.

        Most people can learn to move stuff, if they are patient, diligent, and
        methodical. I've moved my 12x18 C&Ps, Elrods and my Hacker around my
        studio by myself, and loaded a Linotype onto a trailer with only two
        people.

        Small rollers, 1.25" diameter work wonders for rolling big presses
        around, and at that height, there is little chance of tipping them
        over. Using a good long (Snap-on) pry bar, and a few 1" thick blocks
        its fairly easy to get a press off the ground-- if it does not have a
        flat bottom (I can't think of many that do) you must get it up onto 4x4
        skids. 45 the ends of the skids to make it easier to get rollers under
        them, and bolt the press to them with nice big lag bolts.
        Two people can make quick work of a press this way.

        I would suggest that if any of this does not make sense-- do as
        suggested earlier, and HIRE a MOVER.

        GETTING A PRESS ONTO A TRAILER IS NOT AN EASY OR SAFE PROCEDURE (it can
        be if you know what you are doing)-- if you have to move the press very
        far, and don't have a loading dock, get some help from someone with
        experience.

        Moving is not for everyone, I just want to provide a counterpoint to
        those who would have us all hire movers.

        The only steadfast rule I can think of regarding press moving-- is
        never try to stop a falling press, never.

        Daniel Petrzelka
        I've been accused of being an overzealous, and impatient "kid." I
        cannot argue with that-- I'm 23, quite impatient, and successfully, and
        safely done many things I've been told could not be done.

        Moving a 30" C&P paper cutter, from the third floor of a church in
        Seattle this coming weekend-- that will be interesting. How'd they get
        it up there?
      • chuck sumner
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 24, 2005
          I had spoken to Norman Hicks about this once, and he has experience in
          dismantling windmills to move through doorways.
          Might be worth a call.

          http://printingequip.com/

          On Feb 24, 2005, at 12:58 PM, thornvilla wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I have a 10" x 15" heidelberg windmill which i have to move, and
          > will have to remove the front section in order to get it through a
          > doorway.
          > Does anyone have experience with dismantling (and reassembling)
          > these? Is this a job best left to the professionals?
          >
          > Thanks in advance for and tips or advice you may be willing to offer
          >
          > regards,
          >
          > Dane
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          ---

          tshirts for killing yourself to
          http://www.2inches.com
        • Vinayaga Prabhu
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 24, 2005
            Hi there,
            You can remove the front section easily.But
            you need two persons.Please try this ONLY IF YOU KNOW
            ABOUT DISMANTLING HEIDELBERG PLATEN.There are four
            nuts under the front section which also has 2 steady
            pins(you can see this easily,its a threaded portion
            protruding out).If you remove these, the front portion
            can be completely removed along with the feeder and
            delivery.Its is better and afe to remove the feeder
            and delivery parts before removing the front part.If
            you know much about heidelberg platen,then go on.Or
            else better go for professionals.I have one 10 x 15
            platen, and three 13 x 18 platens.Out of these four we
            have removed and fitted the front part for two
            machines which includes one 10 x 15 and one 13 x
            18.Any doudts regarding dismantling, call me at
            00-91-9843066429.

            Regards,
            Prabhu

            Hi,

            I have a 10" x 15" heidelberg windmill which i have to
            move, and
            will have to remove the front section in order to get
            it through a
            doorway.
            Does anyone have experience with dismantling (and
            reassembling)
            these? Is this a job best left to the professionals?

            Thanks in advance for and tips or advice you may be
            willing to offer

            regards,

            Dane

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

            Terms of Service.

            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 24, 2005
              Daniel

              I understand the counterpoint, I've moved a lot of presses in my
              earlier years, and I guess I did so to save money, and because it
              seemed easy enough to do. After a point though, I learned to trust an
              experienced press mover and felt the money spent quite worth it.

              I've never seen anyone get hurt or have a press completely destroyed
              but if I think about it long enough some horrible near misses do
              surface in my memory. A lift gate that kicked out unexpectedly and
              missed an apprentice's face by inches, a press that could have placed
              on someones foot had she not moved it in the nick of time, an
              inexperienced forklift operator who jerked the controls (while I was
              checking out the placement of the forks) and dropped the press.

              Presses can be repaired or junked, no big deal. But an injury to a
              helper is something that you would not want to live with. An injury to
              yourself could put you out of the letterpress biz completely.

              Folks will move presses by themselves out of necessity, but the "best"
              advice is, don't do it yourself.

              Gerald

              --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Daniel Petrzelka <petrzed@c...>
              wrote:
              > I think people need to be careful about suggesting the "only" way to
              > move things.
              >
              > I agree that a professional mover is a wonderful way to move large
              > presses and machinery. Though I've also heard horror stories of
              > underinsured movers, who don't respect the value of a great press, and
              > have done irreparable damage.
              >
              > Most people can learn to move stuff, if they are patient, diligent, and
              > methodical. I've moved my 12x18 C&Ps, Elrods and my Hacker around my
              > studio by myself, and loaded a Linotype onto a trailer with only two
              > people.
              >
              > Small rollers, 1.25" diameter work wonders for rolling big presses
              > around, and at that height, there is little chance of tipping them
              > over. Using a good long (Snap-on) pry bar, and a few 1" thick blocks
              > its fairly easy to get a press off the ground-- if it does not have a
              > flat bottom (I can't think of many that do) you must get it up onto 4x4
              > skids. 45 the ends of the skids to make it easier to get rollers under
              > them, and bolt the press to them with nice big lag bolts.
              > Two people can make quick work of a press this way.
              >
              > I would suggest that if any of this does not make sense-- do as
              > suggested earlier, and HIRE a MOVER.
              >
              > GETTING A PRESS ONTO A TRAILER IS NOT AN EASY OR SAFE PROCEDURE (it can
              > be if you know what you are doing)-- if you have to move the press very
              > far, and don't have a loading dock, get some help from someone with
              > experience.
              >
              > Moving is not for everyone, I just want to provide a counterpoint to
              > those who would have us all hire movers.
              >
              > The only steadfast rule I can think of regarding press moving-- is
              > never try to stop a falling press, never.
              >

              > Daniel Petrzelka
              > I've been accused of being an overzealous, and impatient "kid." I
              > cannot argue with that-- I'm 23, quite impatient, and successfully, and
              > safely done many things I've been told could not be done.
              >
              > Moving a 30" C&P paper cutter, from the third floor of a church in
              > Seattle this coming weekend-- that will be interesting. How'd they get
              > it up there?
            • Daniel Petrzelka
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 24, 2005
                Gerald,

                touche' ...

                I agree with your suggestions completely.

                Daniel P.
              • Joel at D.L.
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 24, 2005
                  Not to belabor the counterpoints, but having watched the Hicks Bros.
                  move my windmill the first time, I felt confident enough to move it
                  myself the second time. Windmills have those nice holes in the base
                  casting, and if you have the right steel rods to slip through them and a
                  couple of pallet jacks it is very easy to pick them up and get them on a
                  pallet.

                  Taking it apart now, that's something else entirely. I might take it
                  apart, but I'd be inclined to have a professional put it back together
                  for me. At least the first time.

                  Joel
                • mike.jacobs
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 25, 2005
                    Dane,
                    I know the problem exactly. When my Windmill was delivered the Hi-Ab could
                    only reach half way down the drive. I had to move the press about 20 yards
                    down the rest of the drive, up six steps, round a corner, down six steps and
                    through a door that was too narrow.
                    Since the door was obviously going to necessitate some dismantling I started
                    by removing the front table complete with the feed and deliver, that was
                    after removing everything obviously removable.
                    Then with one inch water pipes, a crow bar and some concrete blocks the
                    machine was inched along on its journey.
                    The main lesson I learned was that the windmill itself is set very
                    accurately. I thought it a good idea to remove the windmill arms as they
                    looked particularly vulnerable. This proved to be a mistake as they had been
                    accurately adjusted with tiny shims and pieces of card inserted
                    strategically to ensure that printing in register was accurate on both arms.
                    It took forever to get it adjusted back again.

                    If you are fairly confident, have the muscle power (I used a wife and a cat)
                    and you go about it methodically then it can be done.
                    I have helped move a number of machines including a Titan, an Intertype,
                    several Arabs and some strange animals called offsets. By moved I mean moved
                    along the ground not lifted into a truck and transported several miles,
                    although I have done that too.

                    Take you time and give it a go.
                    Mike at the Cockleshell Press, England
                  • Ludwig M. Solzen
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 25, 2005
                      I face the same problem, but it is even more challenging, since besides the
                      Platen 10×15 I will have to move a Heidelberg Cylinder Press 15×22½ as
                      well...

                      Because the moving involves two machines, including one that huge and heavy
                      to be transported for quite some miles, I see myself necessarily forced to
                      hire a professional mover. I learned that the charges are not that
                      expensive, considering the value of the machines.

                      One main advantage to mention, however, is that a professional mover can put
                      the machines directly into the right place, fix them and make the needed
                      adjustments that after a move are required. Like a professional tunes a
                      piano once it found its new home, you could say.

                      Still, one question that disturbs me: the Cylinder Press weighs 10,350 lbs
                      (3,300 kilos). Does anyone know if the cement flour of an ordinary garage is
                      fitted to take a burden that heavy?

                      Regards,

                      Ludwig

                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 25, 2005
                        Sometimes it's easier/better to remove a door frame, and re-plaster and
                        paint, than to take a complex machine apart.

                        Tom

                      • Michael T. Metz
                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 25, 2005
                          Or, pay someone to redo the door than to pay someone
                          to rebuild your press.

                          Message 12 of 20 , Feb 25, 2005
                            At 10:34 AM -0600 2/25/05, Michael T. Metz wrote:
                            >Or, pay someone to redo the door than to pay someone
                            >to rebuild your press.

                            Or your leg...

                            http://www.semiotx.com Web Strategy Consulting
                          • Gary Mordhorst
                            Message 13 of 20 , Feb 25, 2005
                              Be careful. It sounds real simple, just tear out some plaster and
                              rebuild the doorway.... Building construction has elements over
                              doorways and windows to provide support of the structure, referred to
                              as system of headers and cripples. Just cutting one of these out can
                              weaken the structure of your building.

                              Get your tape measure out and see what space your door way allows.
                              Then measure your press. If there is a size issue, see what
                              "extraneous" press features can be easily removed, with out a major
                              tear down and rebuild. If a couple if inches is the problem, and you
                              are okay with the possibility of having to replace the door and frame,
                              go ahead and tear the door and frame out. I say tear, because
                              typically the wood of a door frame becomes brittle over time and most
                              likely will split and break as it is removed.

                              Please, no not alter the frame work of your building.

                              Best of luck,

                              Gary Mordhorst
                              AccuColor Plus, Inc.
                            • Daniel Petrzelka
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jun 16, 2005
                                Are there any non-commercial printers on this list using Heidelberg Windmill platen
                                plresses? (ie hobbists)

                                I would be interested in excahnging email with someone running one of these
                                presses, as I may be getting one, and have a few questions.

                                thank you
                                Daniel P.
                              • Ludwig M. Solzen
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jun 16, 2005
                                  Dear Sir,

                                  As a matter of fact, I am just starting as a printer using photopolymers to
                                  print digital lay-out on a traditional letterpress. And it is a Heidelberg
                                  platen, indeed. To be precise it's a 26×38 cm (i.e. 10×15 inches), from
                                  around 1970 and in quite good condition.

                                  I bought the press from an old retiring printer, who until recently still
                                  used it for printing business cards and occasional work. Besides the
                                  windmill he also had a Heidelberg cylinderpress KSB 40×57 cm, which for
                                  several years was used only for diecutting. As far as I can observe the
                                  press is however in excellent condition for printing as well. It came, for
                                  example, with 6 new rollers, still packed in the original Heidelberg
                                  wrappers! So, I bought this one as well...

                                  Now, the cylinder is still in stock, but our windmill was delivered last
                                  week. We are still look-king for an appropriate location for both presses,
                                  since our garage will soon prove to be a bit too narrow, I guess.

                                  This week I experimented with our Polimero A4 and made some first
                                  photopolymer clichés, to be printed on the windmill. The machine, though, is
                                  not attached yet to the electrical circuit, for this turned out to be
                                  somewhat more difficult than I expected. I hope that we will have the
                                  windmill running still this month.

                                  I am the editor of a literary art magazine, based in Flanders (Belgium), in
                                  the city of Leuven, known for its university, where I am employed as a
                                  researcher in the field of the history of art. Being inexperienced young
                                  bachelor students at the time, we started the magazine about seven years
                                  ago, and since than went through a lot of troubles with local printers.
                                  Walking through the Plantin-Moretus Museum in Antwerp, as a kid already, I
                                  dreamt of becoming one day such a humanist printer-publisher. So, we decided
                                  not to spill our money any longer to the professional amateurs, but to
                                  acquire instead our own press. Publishing art, poetry and philosophy I'd not
                                  call a "hobby", but it is clear to me that one can't make a living of it.
                                  And neither will the actual production on press of our literary books become
                                  ever very lucrative. I thus hope to do some more commercial work as well, so
                                  that we may be able to maintain this very expensive "vocation" of ours. For
                                  more information on the magazine you are kindly invited to visit our website
                                  on www.van-nu-en-straks.be.

                                  As soon as we'll have a proper website for our printing 'Officina', I'd be
                                  pleased to show you some pictures from our presses and press work.

                                  I'm looking foreward to exchange ideas and experiences with you on working
                                  with the Heidelberger!

                                  Kind regards,

                                  Ludwig

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jun 16, 2005
                                    I just picked up one myself, and just got it set up, powered, etc..

                                    I've yet to run an actual job with it, but that is very soon coming.

                                    I'd be glad to exchange whatever as well.

                                    Chuck

                                    On Jun 16, 2005, at 12:17 AM, Daniel Petrzelka wrote:

                                    > Are there any non-commercial printers on this list using Heidelberg
                                    > Windmill platen
                                    > plresses? (ie hobbists)
                                    >
                                    > I would be interested in excahnging email with someone running one
                                    > of these
                                    > presses, as I may be getting one, and have a few questions.
                                    >

                                    > thank you
                                    > Daniel P.
                                    >

                                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  • Vinayaga Prabhu
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jun 26, 2005
                                      Hello there,
                                      Any details and doubts regarding the
                                      HEIDELBERG WINDMILL (both 10x15 and 12x18),you are
                                      most welcome.I have 3 GTs and T model.I'm doing
                                      printing,embossing and hot stampfoiling on these
                                      machines.

                                      REGARDS,
                                      R.Prabhu

                                      Too much spam in your inbox? Yahoo! Mail gives you the best spam protection for FREE! http://in.mail.yahoo.com
                                    • elumdesigns
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jul 12, 2005
                                        We use them exclusively.

                                        <petrzed@c...> wrote:
                                        > Are there any non-commercial printers on this list using Heidelberg
                                        Windmill platen
                                        > plresses? (ie hobbists)
                                        >
                                        > I would be interested in excahnging email with someone running one
                                        of these
                                        > presses, as I may be getting one, and have a few questions.
                                        >

                                        > thank you
                                        > Daniel P.
                                      • Vinayaga Prabhu
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jul 13, 2005
                                          Hi there,
                                          I'm a commercial printer and a hobbyist for
                                          Heidelberg Windmill.You can contact me for any
                                          details.

                                          Regards,
                                          Prabhu
                                          mobil ;- 00-91-9843066429