Re: Letterpress resources

  • bielerpr
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 12, 2002
      --- In PPLetterpress@y..., "Michael Barnes" <mjbarnes@t...> wrote:
      > A source for marvellous rollers is
      >
      > http://www.takachpress.com/
      >
      > I use one with a 35 durometer when printing letterpress. These are the
      > rolling-pin style favoured by Rummonds, harder and of larger diameter than
      > those sold by Lawrence in England.
      >
      > Michael Barnes

      Michael

      Last year a friend gave me a durometer so now I check my rollers from
      time to time. On one of my presses the rollers are two years old and
      they were specked at A25 (Vandercook recommended A20). They are now
      at A38. My roller rep says A50 is about it. He says at A50 the
      rollers "fail to split the ink altogether." Doesn't matter if use
      them or not, as this press was little used, the rollers just keep
      reacting to the environment. Had a collotype project going about
      three years ago where we bought three rollers of the kind you mention
      at a variety of durometer settings. These are all now settling in at
      about A35 to A40. Don't know if this means there is a natural stop in
      certain environments. I've some old rollers (maybe fourteen years old)
      that were quite well treated and they measure in at about A42.

      Then again, since everything always seems to be falling to the same relative
      spot maybe there was a good reason I was given that durometer!!!

      Wonder if rollers should be purchased fairly soft and left to age and
      changed out every so often? Anyone know more about this?

      Gerald
    • Mark Attwood
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 13, 2002
        I too use Takach rollers, and am willing to pay the rather hefty duties and
        importing costs because they are such great tools.

        Mark Attwood

        The Artists' Press
        Box 623
        Newtown
        2113
        South Africa

        Tel. +27 11 836 5474
        fax. +27 11 836 6858
        mark@...

        ----------

      • Harold Kyle
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 13, 2002
          UV exposure also affects durometer. While storing my press I made the
          mistake of leaving it near a window. On my press the one form roller that
          was exposed to sunlight is already at 35 Shore A while the form roller that
          was hidden from sun is still at its original 25 Shore A. This sun-aging was
          confirmed by Bruce at Brown Regrinding. I should have run the press with sun
          block before letting it sit!

          Harold

          ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
          Boxcar Press
          640 Fellows Avenue ~ Syracuse, NY 13210
          www.boxcarpress.com
          ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
        • Katie Harper
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 13, 2002
            All of this discussion about roller hardness is very useful, but I confess
            to being a bit confused.

            I have some rollers on a newly acquired Vandercook that are now obviously
            too hard and are not inking well at all. Instead of getting hard, I have
            some rollers on my C&P Craftsman that I suspect are getting soft and tacky,
            "reverting to liquid" as Fritz Klinke says at NA Graphics. I have seen the
            results of this reversion when I opened a drawer of a previous Vandercook to
            find some roller cores and a puddle of the dreaded "Blue Goo" that was all
            over everything and took forever to clean up.

            What I'm curious about is why rollers sometimes turn to goo, while others
            get hard. I'm guessing this has to do with what the rollers are made of
            along with, perhaps, the conditions under which they are kept. My friend who
            uses the Lawrence brayers says they are made of Durathene, which is not
            supposed to get hard (crystalize) or revert, and has a 23-30 nominal shore
            hardness.

            So what is the ideal hardness for new rollers? Is it the same for all
            presses/rollers? What is the ideal roller material? Does one sacrifice
            longevity for price?

            Katie Harper
            Ars Brevis Press
            Cincinnati, OH
            513-233-9588

            > From: "bielerpr" <bieler@...>
            > Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 03:43:24 -0000
            > To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: [PPLetterpress] Re: Letterpress resources
            >
            > --- In PPLetterpress@y..., "Michael Barnes" <mjbarnes@t...> wrote:
            >> A source for marvellous rollers is
            >>
            >> http://www.takachpress.com/
            >>
            >> I use one with a 35 durometer when printing letterpress. These are the
            >> rolling-pin style favoured by Rummonds, harder and of larger diameter than
            >> those sold by Lawrence in England.
            >>
            >> Michael Barnes
            >
            > Michael
            >
            > Last year a friend gave me a durometer so now I check my rollers from
            > time to time. On one of my presses the rollers are two years old and
            > they were specked at A25 (Vandercook recommended A20). They are now
            > at A38. My roller rep says A50 is about it. He says at A50 the
            > rollers "fail to split the ink altogether." Doesn't matter if use
            > them or not, as this press was little used, the rollers just keep
            > reacting to the environment. Had a collotype project going about
            > three years ago where we bought three rollers of the kind you mention
            > at a variety of durometer settings. These are all now settling in at
            > about A35 to A40. Don't know if this means there is a natural stop in
            > certain environments. I've some old rollers (maybe fourteen years old)
            > that were quite well treated and they measure in at about A42.
            >
            > Then again, since everything always seems to be falling to the same relative
            > spot maybe there was a good reason I was given that durometer!!!
            >
            > Wonder if rollers should be purchased fairly soft and left to age and
            > changed out every so often? Anyone know more about this?

            > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
            >
            > To log on to the groupsite (confirmed Yahoo ID required), go to
            > http://groups.yahoogroups.com/group/PPLetterpress
            > [reference sources can be found onsite in Bookmarks (URLs),
            > Database (tables), Files (documents), and Messages (archives)]
            >
            > Encountering problems? send an email to
            > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
            >
            > To unsubscribe, send an email to

          • Marnie Powers-Torrey
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 4, 2002
              Katie-

              We use Diamond Roller out of Phoenix for rubber rollers. I highly recommend the rollers, and they are great for clean up because they are red-- any residue is clearly seen. Their number is (602)269-7262. Our contact's name is John Evans, but I think he's the regional salesperson, although very helpful with the specific needs of letterpress.

              Marnie

              Message 6 of 14 , May 11, 2005
                Hello People, Well it looks like I need several sets of rollers. Since the general
                concensus is that composition is a pain. Does any one have a resource for rubber or some
                sort of synthetic roller supplier that would have the specific dimensions for an OS Pearl #1.
                This was my main reason for going with the supplier I did . Without trucks or old cores
                getting it right would have been difficult. Thanks, London
                Message 7 of 14 , May 13, 2005
                  London

                  Composition rollers aren't necessarily a pain. Like I said, I've never
                  used them but Lewis Allen in _Printing on the Hand Press_ recommended
                  them. And his presswork was quite good, to say the least. I'd kind of
                  like to know what Victor Hammer used myself. Likely composition.

                  Don't trust standardization, trust skill.

                  Any decent roller supplier will provide you with the specs you need.
                  If they won't, well then, there is something else going on there.

                  Gerald

                  > Hello People, Well it looks like I need several sets of
                  rollers. Since the general
                  > concensus is that composition is a pain. Does any one have a
                  resource for rubber or some
                  > sort of synthetic roller supplier that would have the specific
                  dimensions for an OS Pearl #1.
                  > This was my main reason for going with the supplier I did . Without
                  trucks or old cores
                  > getting it right would have been difficult. Thanks, London
                • alex brooks
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 13, 2005
                    re: victor hammer's rollers

                    I'm not sure, but I'd say that victor used rubber rollers because all
                    the hand rollers at the King Library press are rubber.

                    although, hand inking on a washington press would minimize the negative
                    qualities of composition rollers

                    i'll try to find a more definitive answer
                    -alex

                    > I'd kind of
                    > like to know what Victor Hammer used myself. Likely composition.
                  • Austin Jones
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 13, 2005
                      I have used various rollers and brayers over the years. Plastic and Composition each have their place in the shop. Plastic will last longer and provide consistent size. Composition is unsurpassed in inking qualities. I use composition only where the environment will permit. I use plastic where there is a variation in humidity and temperature.

                      All this discussion on rollers and wanting to eliminate Composition from consideration is really confusing to me. If your objective is good, consistent inking, then there is no other choice. I will agree that composition requires more care. You can't leave composition to clean up tomorrow. You must really be committed to take care of the rollers. Plastic rollers are much more forgiving and will work even if abused.

                      If a printer is printing from hand set type, plate, or any other raised surface and wants to achieve the best work possible from equipment and printer, Composition Rollers must be considered as a part of the combination.

                      I have several composition brayers which are used in conjunction with various flat bed presses. The wooden BobCat, Potter Proof Press or Reliance Proof Press, all are inked using composition brayers of various lengths and diameter. The softness and the tackiness of the material make depositing an even coat of ink on the printing surface an easy job.

                      I just installed a set of composition rollers on a C&P 12x18. Work great. The amount of ink on the disk is more easily controlled when the rollers are depositing an even and consistent amount of ink.

                      Don't Dismiss The Composition Roller!

                      Austin Jones
                      prints by AJ
                      Point Pleasant, WV
                      austin@...
                      http://printsbyaj.com

                      Message 10 of 14 , May 14, 2005
                        Hey Alex

                        More importantly, what ink did he use? Best hand presswork I've ever seen.

                        Gerald

                        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, alex brooks <alexbrooks@U...> wrote:
                        > re: victor hammer's rollers
                        >
                        > I'm not sure, but I'd say that victor used rubber rollers because all
                        > the hand rollers at the King Library press are rubber.
                        >
                        > although, hand inking on a washington press would minimize the negative
                        > qualities of composition rollers
                        >
                        > i'll try to find a more definitive answer
                        > -alex
                        >
                        > > I'd kind of
                        > > like to know what Victor Hammer used myself. Likely composition.
                      • David Goodrich
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 14, 2005
                          Theo Rehak has Victor Hammer's press and might know what rollers he used.
                          One thing I do know is that he used ingenious roller bearers that could be
                          lifted out of the form after inking each impression without disturbing the
                          lock-up.
                          David.

                          More importantly, what ink did he use? Best hand presswork I've ever seen.

                          Gerald

                          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, alex brooks <alexbrooks@U...> wrote:
                          > re: victor hammer's rollers
                          >
                          > I'm not sure, but I'd say that victor used rubber rollers because all
                          > the hand rollers at the King Library press are rubber.
                          >
                          > although, hand inking on a washington press would minimize the negative
                          > qualities of composition rollers
                          >
                          > i'll try to find a more definitive answer
                          > -alex
                          >
                          > > I'd kind of
                          > > like to know what Victor Hammer used myself. Likely composition.

                          Yahoo! Groups Links