Re: [PPLetterpress] Circular quads

  • innererklang@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 10, 2005
      Barb--
      I do not know of any published articles on circular quads but I do know an
      expert on the matter--he is a bit of old school, doesn't own a computer, isn't
      psrt of this group, but I believe he would be willing to help you if you called
      or wrote him. His name is Richard Brilliante of Ding Batty Letter Press, 186
      Silver Spring St., Providence, RI 02904, 401.861.9887.
      He gave me my set of circular quads as a parting gift when I moved from
      Boston last year. I have only tried using them once. It really is a matter of
      patiently filling spaces with what ever fits, and once it is locked up you pray
      that you have the letter spacing right. Richard was a bit critical of my first
      effort, but, as I said , he is old school, very exacting and VERY critical of
      anything but kiss impression. He worked as a commercial printer for most of his
      life and tells me any job with the impression of the moment would have been
      sent back to do over.

      Mark Olson
      Innerer Klang Letterpress
      Asheville, NC

    • typetom@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 10, 2005
        Hi Barb,
        One method is to put a strip of tape on the inside edge of the curve before
        you curve it, so the spacing at that edge stays tight. Then lock it with normal
        lock-up pressure in the circular quads, adjusting the angles of the type as
        needed. I don't think you have to fill all the angled spaces that are left --
        as long as it holds.

        Tom Parson
        Now It's Up To You Publications
        157 S. Logan, Denver CO 80209
        (303) 777-8951
        http://members.aol.com/typetom

        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 10, 2005
          Tom and Barb

          I've seen it also done this way with the tape: Double stick tape is put
          on the line of type that is in the composing stick. That way you can
          also do whatever spacing finesse is required, and proof etc, before you
          attach to the quad material.

          Gerald

          typetom@... wrote:

          >Hi Barb,
          >One method is to put a strip of tape on the inside edge of the curve before
          >you curve it, so the spacing at that edge stays tight. Then lock it with normal
          >lock-up pressure in the circular quads, adjusting the angles of the type as
          >needed. I don't think you have to fill all the angled spaces that are left --
          >as long as it holds.
          >
          >Tom Parson
          >Now It's Up To You Publications
          >157 S. Logan, Denver CO 80209
          >(303) 777-8951
          >http://members.aol.com/typetom

        • Regis Graden
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 10, 2005
            Barb,

            Circular quads are not the easiest things to use! I believe what you describe is the right course. Many articles have been written on the subject in "Inland Printer". I have a run of these great magazines through the '20s and '30s. If Gerald does not respond on exactly how to use them, I'll try to thumb through some issues and find some information for you.

            Good Luck,

            Regis

            barb tetenbaum <btetenbaum@...> wrote:
            I realize that you, dear reader, are
            digitally-inclined, but I also know that this is an
            experienced group of letterpress printers (and a
            smaller discussion group, thank god!), so I'm braving
            a hot type question: Do any of you have instructions,
            or know of instructions that are published, on how to
            use circular quads. I'm trying to set 14pt. type in a
            nice arch-shape. I have sets of metal "circular quads"
            which have different arc configurations. I'm assuming
            that you lay your type so that each piece of type is
            oriented along the arcs with as much contact on the
            top and bottom edges. The final lock-up is probably a
            combination of pressure and convenience. I've been
            using bits of mat board and old bent coppers to fine
            tune and fill in......what do you think? Anything
            published on this technique?
            Does anyone have one of these locked up that they
            could create a jpeg image to send me? I've had no luck
            in my own personal library or our school's. Thanks for
            any help you can offer.
            -Barb Tetenbaum (who very much enjoyed the rants
            written in response to my "Vandy"comment last month)

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
            document.write('');

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 10, 2005
              :)

              >If Gerald does not respond on exactly how to use them, I'll try to thumb through some issues and find some information for you.
              >
              >Good Luck,
              >
              >Regis

            • Kathleen Whalen
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 11, 2005
                There are two assumptions for successful use: that you have both parts, and
                that the ends of the printed line within the quads are blank - space is
                good.

                First set your line with the spaces and hairspaces you would expect to use,
                all in the stick. While still in the stick, run a piece of cellotape along
                the type, covering the nick.

                Slide the type out and stand it upright on the stone.

                Slide the bottom half of the quad into place, so the type fits the curve
                with the sellotape captured between the type and the quad.

                Slide the top part into place. Pick it up as if it were six lines of type,
                and check that it holds tight.

                Lock in the chase in the standard way, with furniture on all four sides. The
                pressure of normal lock-up has to hold the type in place. No problem on a
                cylinder press, but with a platen there is some little risk that letters
                will adjust themselves out of the chase - you might think candle-wax or
                plasticine would be a solution, but tighter lock-up is the real answer.

                Problems to look out for: if the type is larger than 12 point you may have
                to re-set with spacing adjusted to meet your discerning eye. They work best
                visually with no adjustment needed when using type 14pt and below; the metal
                is not particularly hard, and they do get damaged relatively easily, but
                considering the amount of use they have, they should last a long time; I
                don't think italic type ever looks good in a curve, but you might think it
                does. Full caps works visually sometimes. Rely on your eye!

                Bon voyage!

                Graham Moss
                Incline Press
                36 Bow Street
                Oldham OL1 1SJ England
                (44) 0161 627 1966
                http://www.inclinepress.com
              • Ludwig M. Solzen
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 11, 2005
                  > “digitally-inclined” indeed.

                  Nothing new, but perhaps some here are still not familiar with TeX and its
                  huge possibilities. Did you want to set some type in a circular pattern, you
                  say? For a sample (digital of course!) just click
                  http://www.tug.org/texshowcase/ShowcaseCircular.pdf (attention: it’s pdf!).

                  I agree that the default faces (Computer Modern and some typewriter
                  companion) are not the most splendid things in fontworld, and not in the
                  least fitted for use in fine digital letterpress printing; also the white
                  space after the full-stop is a typo-historical and aesthetical mistake,
                  which TeX’s developer, Dr Knuth, took over from the unthoughtful 1970s
                  typographic standards in the US—but look at the beautifully spaced letters,
                  the over-all evenness of colour...

                  Digital typography has been the lesser of handset text, for years, but I am
                  fully convinced that graphic software is becoming unequalled, more and more.
                  And I don't even speak about it's time-saving advantages: if you know about
                  e.g. the implementation of the URW micro-typographic features into PDF-TeX
                  and Adobe InDesign, you will quickly realize that not even Gutenberg with
                  all his patience and the help of hundreds of the best punchcutters and
                  textsetters, could have made better text-settings.

                  Ludwig

[...]

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                • Michael T. Metz
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 11, 2005
                    And for those who like a challenge, the learning curve is a little
                    steeper. I use LaTeX (now using a MiKTeX installation) and agree
                    with Ludwig on its capabilities; however, do plan to spend a little
                    time getting to know it. It's strength is first, like Ludwig mentions,
                    its algorithms for setting paragraphs of text that avoid rivers and
                    like distractions and second in allowing one to have greater control
                    over the typesetting than with other programs. To gain this control,
                    however, one needs to know how to control (learning the syntax, and
                    understanding the way the program integrates itself).

                    Lugwig likely knows this but did not mention that one is not
                    limited to using Computer Modern; but again this is trickier. I now
                    use Perpetua, but would not like to again go through what it took to
                    install it.

                    Mike

                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 11, 2005
                      On Feb 11, 2005, at 6:53 AM, Ludwig M. Solzen wrote:

                      >> “digitally-inclined” indeed.
                      >

                      > I agree that the default faces (Computer Modern and some typewriter
                      > companion) are not the most splendid things in fontworld,

                      Perhaps someone on the list could recommend a good Cyrillic font that
                      will work on Mac os.
                      Charles Jones

                      LaNana Creek Press
                      Nacogdoches, Texas
                    • Ludwig M. Solzen
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 11, 2005
                        > Perhaps someone on the list could recommend a good Cyrillic font that
                        > will work on Mac os

                        Imho one of the core problems of present day font production: the absence of
                        a complete glyph set, for all-round typographical use. Most fonts come only
                        with the standard western alphabet (not even with all accents needed for
                        setting text in central European languages). So, we will have to content
                        ourselves with mixing different fonts...

                        I my regard you should, of course, combine fonts of the same face. And even
                        then, you will notice that the design of the Latin alphabet glyphs will not
                        match with that of the Cyrillic glyphs of the same face (strokes, serifs,
                        contrast and so forth). Be very careful in choosing the right fonts, even
                        when you stay with the same face.

                        In some OpenType edition of good fonts (e.g. several Adobe 'Pro's) you'll
                        find a complete Cyrillic alphabet. This is the case for Minion Pro and
                        Warnock Pro.

                        For my favourite, Bembo, there is alas no Cyrillic alphabet, not even a
                        Greek one, although Griffo cut several Greek alphabets for use in the Aldine
                        Officina. However (as I said on an earlier occasion), 'Cardo' will soon have
                        a Bembo-like Cyrillic and Greek alphabet.

                        It's a pity none of the resent Bodoni revivals have a Cyrillic alphabet, nor
                        Greek, although Bodoni cut these. The same goes for other much used, fine
                        faces.

                        If you would like to use Baskerville, I recommend Linotype's "Baskerville
                        Cyrillic".

                        *A lot* can be said on this subject!

                        Ludwig
                      • Charles Jones
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 11, 2005
                          Thank you very much for the information. I am working on a book that
                          will have Russian and English language text renderings of poems along
                          with lmages based on line drawings . I have Baskerville in foundry
                          type and could use it with Baskerville Cyrillic. Cheers, Charles Jones