Re: [PPLetterpress] Letterpress resources

  • Katie Harper
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 12, 2002
      Are you referring to press rollers or to brayers?

      Katie Harper
      Ars Brevis Press
      Cincinnati, OH
      513-233-9588

      > From: "Michael Barnes" <mjbarnes@...>
      > Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 16:39:20 -0800
      > To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [PPLetterpress] Letterpress resources
      >
      > A source for marvellous rollers is
      >
      > http://www.takachpress.com/
      >
      > I use one with a 35 durometer when printing letterpress. These are the
      > rolling-pin style favoured by Rummonds, harder and of larger diameter than
      > those sold by Lawrence in England.
      >
      > Michael Barnes

      > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
      >
      > To log on to the groupsite (confirmed Yahoo ID required), go to
      > http://groups.yahoogroups.com/group/PPLetterpress
      > [reference sources can be found onsite in Bookmarks (URLs),
      > Database (tables), Files (documents), and Messages (archives)]
      >
      > Encountering problems? send an email to
      > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
      >
      > To unsubscribe, send an email to

    • Michael Barnes
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 12, 2002
        I use a press roller from Takach, almost as big as the bed of my press. In
        fact I had to chop off a bit of the handles to keep them from hitting the
        platen and the tympan. But I saw brayers on the Takach web page too, at
        least mention of them. M.B.

        ----------
        >From: Katie Harper <knharper@...>
        >To: <PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: Re: [PPLetterpress] Letterpress resources
        >Date: Tue, Feb 12, 2002, 5:04 PM
        >

        > Are you referring to press rollers or to brayers?
        >

        > Katie Harper
        > Ars Brevis Press
        > Cincinnati, OH
        > 513-233-9588
        >

        >> From: "Michael Barnes" <mjbarnes@...>
        >> Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 16:39:20 -0800
        >> To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
        >> Subject: [PPLetterpress] Letterpress resources
        >>
        >> A source for marvellous rollers is
        >>
        >> http://www.takachpress.com/
        >>
        >> I use one with a 35 durometer when printing letterpress. These are the
        >> rolling-pin style favoured by Rummonds, harder and of larger diameter than
        >> those sold by Lawrence in England.
        >>
        >> Michael Barnes

        >> PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
        >>
        >> To log on to the groupsite (confirmed Yahoo ID required), go to
        >> http://groups.yahoogroups.com/group/PPLetterpress
        >> [reference sources can be found onsite in Bookmarks (URLs),
        >> Database (tables), Files (documents), and Messages (archives)]
        >>
        >> Encountering problems? send an email to
        >> PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
        >>
        >> To unsubscribe, send an email to
        >> PPLetterpress-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

        > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
        >
        > To log on to the groupsite (confirmed Yahoo ID required), go to
        > http://groups.yahoogroups.com/group/PPLetterpress
        > [reference sources can be found onsite in Bookmarks (URLs),
        > Database (tables), Files (documents), and Messages (archives)]
        >
        > Encountering problems? send an email to
        > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
        >
        > To unsubscribe, send an email to

      • bielerpr
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 12, 2002
          --- In PPLetterpress@y..., "Michael Barnes" <mjbarnes@t...> wrote:
          > A source for marvellous rollers is
          >
          > http://www.takachpress.com/
          >
          > I use one with a 35 durometer when printing letterpress. These are the
          > rolling-pin style favoured by Rummonds, harder and of larger diameter than
          > those sold by Lawrence in England.
          >
          > Michael Barnes

          Michael

          Last year a friend gave me a durometer so now I check my rollers from
          time to time. On one of my presses the rollers are two years old and
          they were specked at A25 (Vandercook recommended A20). They are now
          at A38. My roller rep says A50 is about it. He says at A50 the
          rollers "fail to split the ink altogether." Doesn't matter if use
          them or not, as this press was little used, the rollers just keep
          reacting to the environment. Had a collotype project going about
          three years ago where we bought three rollers of the kind you mention
          at a variety of durometer settings. These are all now settling in at
          about A35 to A40. Don't know if this means there is a natural stop in
          certain environments. I've some old rollers (maybe fourteen years old)
          that were quite well treated and they measure in at about A42.

          Then again, since everything always seems to be falling to the same relative
          spot maybe there was a good reason I was given that durometer!!!

          Wonder if rollers should be purchased fairly soft and left to age and
          changed out every so often? Anyone know more about this?

          Gerald
        • Mark Attwood
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 13, 2002
            I too use Takach rollers, and am willing to pay the rather hefty duties and
            importing costs because they are such great tools.

            Mark Attwood

            The Artists' Press
            Box 623
            Newtown
            2113
            South Africa

            Tel. +27 11 836 5474
            fax. +27 11 836 6858
            mark@...

            ----------

          • Harold Kyle
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 13, 2002
              UV exposure also affects durometer. While storing my press I made the
              mistake of leaving it near a window. On my press the one form roller that
              was exposed to sunlight is already at 35 Shore A while the form roller that
              was hidden from sun is still at its original 25 Shore A. This sun-aging was
              confirmed by Bruce at Brown Regrinding. I should have run the press with sun
              block before letting it sit!

              Harold

              ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
              Boxcar Press
              640 Fellows Avenue ~ Syracuse, NY 13210
              www.boxcarpress.com
              ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
            • Katie Harper
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 13, 2002
                All of this discussion about roller hardness is very useful, but I confess
                to being a bit confused.

                I have some rollers on a newly acquired Vandercook that are now obviously
                too hard and are not inking well at all. Instead of getting hard, I have
                some rollers on my C&P Craftsman that I suspect are getting soft and tacky,
                "reverting to liquid" as Fritz Klinke says at NA Graphics. I have seen the
                results of this reversion when I opened a drawer of a previous Vandercook to
                find some roller cores and a puddle of the dreaded "Blue Goo" that was all
                over everything and took forever to clean up.

                What I'm curious about is why rollers sometimes turn to goo, while others
                get hard. I'm guessing this has to do with what the rollers are made of
                along with, perhaps, the conditions under which they are kept. My friend who
                uses the Lawrence brayers says they are made of Durathene, which is not
                supposed to get hard (crystalize) or revert, and has a 23-30 nominal shore
                hardness.

                So what is the ideal hardness for new rollers? Is it the same for all
                presses/rollers? What is the ideal roller material? Does one sacrifice
                longevity for price?

                Katie Harper
                Ars Brevis Press
                Cincinnati, OH
                513-233-9588

                > From: "bielerpr" <bieler@...>
                > Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 03:43:24 -0000
                > To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
                > Subject: [PPLetterpress] Re: Letterpress resources
                >
                > --- In PPLetterpress@y..., "Michael Barnes" <mjbarnes@t...> wrote:
                >> A source for marvellous rollers is
                >>
                >> http://www.takachpress.com/
                >>
                >> I use one with a 35 durometer when printing letterpress. These are the
                >> rolling-pin style favoured by Rummonds, harder and of larger diameter than
                >> those sold by Lawrence in England.
                >>
                >> Michael Barnes
                >
                > Michael
                >
                > Last year a friend gave me a durometer so now I check my rollers from
                > time to time. On one of my presses the rollers are two years old and
                > they were specked at A25 (Vandercook recommended A20). They are now
                > at A38. My roller rep says A50 is about it. He says at A50 the
                > rollers "fail to split the ink altogether." Doesn't matter if use
                > them or not, as this press was little used, the rollers just keep
                > reacting to the environment. Had a collotype project going about
                > three years ago where we bought three rollers of the kind you mention
                > at a variety of durometer settings. These are all now settling in at
                > about A35 to A40. Don't know if this means there is a natural stop in
                > certain environments. I've some old rollers (maybe fourteen years old)
                > that were quite well treated and they measure in at about A42.
                >
                > Then again, since everything always seems to be falling to the same relative
                > spot maybe there was a good reason I was given that durometer!!!
                >
                > Wonder if rollers should be purchased fairly soft and left to age and
                > changed out every so often? Anyone know more about this?

                > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
                >
                > To log on to the groupsite (confirmed Yahoo ID required), go to
                > http://groups.yahoogroups.com/group/PPLetterpress
                > [reference sources can be found onsite in Bookmarks (URLs),
                > Database (tables), Files (documents), and Messages (archives)]
                >
                > Encountering problems? send an email to
                > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
                >
                > To unsubscribe, send an email to

              • Marnie Powers-Torrey
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 4, 2002
                  Katie-

                  We use Diamond Roller out of Phoenix for rubber rollers. I highly recommend the rollers, and they are great for clean up because they are red-- any residue is clearly seen. Their number is (602)269-7262. Our contact's name is John Evans, but I think he's the regional salesperson, although very helpful with the specific needs of letterpress.

                  Marnie

                  Message 8 of 14 , May 11, 2005
                    Hello People, Well it looks like I need several sets of rollers. Since the general
                    concensus is that composition is a pain. Does any one have a resource for rubber or some
                    sort of synthetic roller supplier that would have the specific dimensions for an OS Pearl #1.
                    This was my main reason for going with the supplier I did . Without trucks or old cores
                    getting it right would have been difficult. Thanks, London
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 13, 2005
                      London

                      Composition rollers aren't necessarily a pain. Like I said, I've never
                      used them but Lewis Allen in _Printing on the Hand Press_ recommended
                      them. And his presswork was quite good, to say the least. I'd kind of
                      like to know what Victor Hammer used myself. Likely composition.

                      Don't trust standardization, trust skill.

                      Any decent roller supplier will provide you with the specs you need.
                      If they won't, well then, there is something else going on there.

                      Gerald

                      > Hello People, Well it looks like I need several sets of
                      rollers. Since the general
                      > concensus is that composition is a pain. Does any one have a
                      resource for rubber or some
                      > sort of synthetic roller supplier that would have the specific
                      dimensions for an OS Pearl #1.
                      > This was my main reason for going with the supplier I did . Without
                      trucks or old cores
                      > getting it right would have been difficult. Thanks, London
                    • alex brooks
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 13, 2005
                        re: victor hammer's rollers

                        I'm not sure, but I'd say that victor used rubber rollers because all
                        the hand rollers at the King Library press are rubber.

                        although, hand inking on a washington press would minimize the negative
                        qualities of composition rollers

                        i'll try to find a more definitive answer
                        -alex

                        > I'd kind of
                        > like to know what Victor Hammer used myself. Likely composition.
                      • Austin Jones
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 13, 2005
                          I have used various rollers and brayers over the years. Plastic and Composition each have their place in the shop. Plastic will last longer and provide consistent size. Composition is unsurpassed in inking qualities. I use composition only where the environment will permit. I use plastic where there is a variation in humidity and temperature.

                          All this discussion on rollers and wanting to eliminate Composition from consideration is really confusing to me. If your objective is good, consistent inking, then there is no other choice. I will agree that composition requires more care. You can't leave composition to clean up tomorrow. You must really be committed to take care of the rollers. Plastic rollers are much more forgiving and will work even if abused.

                          If a printer is printing from hand set type, plate, or any other raised surface and wants to achieve the best work possible from equipment and printer, Composition Rollers must be considered as a part of the combination.

                          I have several composition brayers which are used in conjunction with various flat bed presses. The wooden BobCat, Potter Proof Press or Reliance Proof Press, all are inked using composition brayers of various lengths and diameter. The softness and the tackiness of the material make depositing an even coat of ink on the printing surface an easy job.

                          I just installed a set of composition rollers on a C&P 12x18. Work great. The amount of ink on the disk is more easily controlled when the rollers are depositing an even and consistent amount of ink.

                          Don't Dismiss The Composition Roller!

                          Austin Jones
                          prints by AJ
                          Point Pleasant, WV
                          austin@...
                          http://printsbyaj.com

                          Message 12 of 14 , May 14, 2005
                            Hey Alex

                            More importantly, what ink did he use? Best hand presswork I've ever seen.

                            Gerald

                            --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, alex brooks <alexbrooks@U...> wrote:
                            > re: victor hammer's rollers
                            >
                            > I'm not sure, but I'd say that victor used rubber rollers because all
                            > the hand rollers at the King Library press are rubber.
                            >
                            > although, hand inking on a washington press would minimize the negative
                            > qualities of composition rollers
                            >
                            > i'll try to find a more definitive answer
                            > -alex
                            >
                            > > I'd kind of
                            > > like to know what Victor Hammer used myself. Likely composition.
                          • David Goodrich
                            Message 13 of 14 , May 14, 2005
                              Theo Rehak has Victor Hammer's press and might know what rollers he used.
                              One thing I do know is that he used ingenious roller bearers that could be
                              lifted out of the form after inking each impression without disturbing the
                              lock-up.
                              David.

                              More importantly, what ink did he use? Best hand presswork I've ever seen.

                              Gerald

                              --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, alex brooks <alexbrooks@U...> wrote:
                              > re: victor hammer's rollers
                              >
                              > I'm not sure, but I'd say that victor used rubber rollers because all
                              > the hand rollers at the King Library press are rubber.
                              >
                              > although, hand inking on a washington press would minimize the negative
                              > qualities of composition rollers
                              >
                              > i'll try to find a more definitive answer
                              > -alex
                              >
                              > > I'd kind of
                              > > like to know what Victor Hammer used myself. Likely composition.

                              Yahoo! Groups Links