[PPLetterpress] New Version of RoboFab

  • Andrew McCulloh
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 8, 2005
      Wow that's neat. I hack python all the
      time. (programmer speak for "I write lots of
      python programs") I recently used it to
      auto-generate some postscript for plate creation.

      Have a look:

      http://www.visi.com/~mcculloh/polymer.html

      (I'll be printing the one on the web page tonight.)

      I'll have to try out this font stuff

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 8, 2005
        Yes. Just & Erik are the first truly modern typographers of the digital era.
        Everything before Beo was a simulation of work that could have just as well been drawn on rubylith.
        (As is most of the work since!) The use of Postscript as a PROGRAMMING language, not merely a DESCRIPTION language allowed the brilliant innovation or allowing the data points a degree of 'freedom' -- randomness every time a letter was processed.
        Next time either Just or Erik gives a talk somewhere, I highly recommend the show ;-)
        They are both brilliant and extremely funny.

        RoboFab is just the latest in the giant steps forward. UFO, the XML 'Unified Font Object' abstracts the properties of a digital font into a straightforward structured text document which can be processed as XML...

        http://www.semiotx.com Web Strategy Consulting
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 8, 2005
          Hi Andrew

          Yes very neat!
          I've always loved this kind of stuff. Your little roundel is lovely.