New Version of RoboFab

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 7 9:29 PM
      A new version of RoboFab (1.1) has been released. This is a "Python
      Library" of scripting tools compatible with Python 2.3 as well as 2.2.1. and works with FontLab 4.6x. RoboFab replaced RoboFog, a Fontographer based shell, a while back. The downloadable tools are available at

      http://www.letterror.com/code/robofab/index.html

      This stuff is really high end.

      RoboFab is the brain child of Just van Rossum and Erik van Blokland of Letterror who have always been out there at the far frontiers of font technology. Their tricked up randomized fonts Beo Sans, Kosmik, Beowolf (in PostScript Type 3 format) were quite innovative and had a nice affinity to letterpress as every repeated incidence of a character was slightly different.

      Gerald
    • Andrew McCulloh
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 8 8:16 AM
        Wow that's neat. I hack python all the
        time. (programmer speak for "I write lots of
        python programs") I recently used it to
        auto-generate some postscript for plate creation.

        Have a look:

        http://www.visi.com/~mcculloh/polymer.html

        (I'll be printing the one on the web page tonight.)

        I'll have to try out this font stuff

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 8 8:21 AM
          Yes. Just & Erik are the first truly modern typographers of the digital era.
          Everything before Beo was a simulation of work that could have just as well been drawn on rubylith.
          (As is most of the work since!) The use of Postscript as a PROGRAMMING language, not merely a DESCRIPTION language allowed the brilliant innovation or allowing the data points a degree of 'freedom' -- randomness every time a letter was processed.
          Next time either Just or Erik gives a talk somewhere, I highly recommend the show ;-)
          They are both brilliant and extremely funny.

          RoboFab is just the latest in the giant steps forward. UFO, the XML 'Unified Font Object' abstracts the properties of a digital font into a straightforward structured text document which can be processed as XML...

          http://www.semiotx.com Web Strategy Consulting
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 8 8:46 AM
            Hi Andrew

            Yes very neat!
            I've always loved this kind of stuff. Your little roundel is lovely.