Web citations

  • Katie Harper
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 24, 2005
      Gerald:

      You make a good point about the ethereal nature of web sites. But of course,
      books, too, come and go, although certainly not at the same rate. It could
      be argued, however, more and more books are no longer being published
      BECAUSE of web publishing and its expediency, ease of searching, and
      relative low cost for the publishing of reference materials and data. And
      even when books are being published, the dwindling budgets of libraries
      means they are often not able to purchase the books, so they are not
      available to patrons for reference and research.

      When I assign a research project, I require my students to name a certain
      percentage of books as sources. I explain to them that while there is much
      useful and reliable information on the web, it's also much easier to publish
      nonsense than it is to publish nonsense in a book (my own books are an
      exception, of course...)

      Katie