Re: outlining fonts in Illustrator CS

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 22, 2005
      Peter

      With all the concern from various foundries about the unlawful copying
      and distribution of fonts (even altering them, as we PPL folks might
      be errant enough to do, is illegal in most current licensing) I can't
      help but notice that foundries themselves still practice the fine art
      of theft. I was looking through my digital Monotype Imaging collection
      and for the first time noticed that Book Antiqua is the spitting image
      of Palatino!!! I would assume if Monotype had the rights to reproduce
      it they would have called it by its original name.

      I was a beta tester for Adobe in the 90s and just out of curiosity I
      once asked if any of the foundries that had been come to fore in the
      heyday following the unlicensing of the PostScript Type 1 format had
      ever paid a dime in tribute. The answer was nope, not even a penny.
      Not even good old Emigre, who went so far out of their way to hunt
      down thieves, they would check their records for the designer of any
      ad, etc., they found that used their fonts and would contact the
      offender for payment if they were not registered. But not a dime was
      ever offered by Emigre for use of format. I have always found this odd
      and have brought it up a number of times on various lists where
      foundries were complaining about unlawful copying but have never
      gotten a return response.

      In the days of machine composition, foundries would steal outright,
      but they had to deal with their own specific machinery and reconfigure
      the typeface for it.

      I suppose if someone provides the digital format for free, why should
      the foundry have to pay, just for piggybacking, right? After all, they
      paid for the font creation software, which is presumably licensed to
      the format owner. On the other hand, as I mentioned in the previous
      post, OpenType is just the beginning, there are most probably other
      formats coming down that night road. This is not the end of the "font
      wars." I proposed "they don't want us screwing with the type."
      Actually, my suspicion is that they don't want "you" to have the
      capability of making type.

      Gerald

      > Yep, it's a major headache for legitimate users, every time a font
      vendor (of which I'm one, occasionally) tries to keep his or her stuff
      from being sprinkled around every graphic arts lab in the known
      universe...