Printing troubles?

  • Katie Harper
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 10, 2002
      Just had a workshop group of folks printing from polymer plates, with mixed
      results. In most cases, when folks proofed on coated stock, they'd like what
      they'd see and then when they tried to print on the run stock (usually
      uncoated, ranging from Rives printmaking paper to card stock), almost all
      were disappointed with the results. Even wetting the Rives slightly didn't
      seem to give us a richer black in the larger solids.

      In some cases, what was being asked of the process was a bit impossible.
      Fine detail in some areas with good blacks in the large solid areas. Plates
      that contained both were especially problematic. However, I think that we
      should have had a bit more satisfaction than we did.

      I attributed some of the dissatisfaction on the uncoated stock to the wrong
      ink. We used Inmont Midnight Black, an ink I inherited with a load of
      letterpress equipment last summer. It has worked quite nicely in the past
      with type, but doesn't seem to do well with images, especially with larger
      solids on uncoated stock. I think that some of the problems also might have
      been due to some bad rollers on a "new" Vandercook that I recently got. The
      rollers are smooth enough, but I suspect they have grown hard over the
      years, perhaps leading to the obvious roller slur that we got.

      I know there has been some discussion about inks on this list in the past,
      and I'm going to be ordering some "real" letterpress black ink; but I'm
      wondering if any letterpress ink is capable of doing what I mention above:
      give good blacks and yet hold fine detail on uncoated stocks.

      Any suggestions appreciated.

      Katie Harper
      Ars Brevis Press
      Cincinnati, OH
      513-233-9588
    • philip gallo
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 10, 2002
        I've been running full reverse plates as large as 11x14 using Daniel Smith
        Velvet Black #65,
        with the addition of Setswell Compound, a flow agent, also available from
        Daniel Smith.
        The standard formulation calls for not more than ten-percent additive to the
        ink.

        I've been printing Rives BFK, Arches Cover, Somerset Velvet and Lana Lin de Pur
        dampened
        from linoleum blocks, 1/4-inch magnesium plates, as well as polymer.

        I sometimes hit them twice, but generally speaking not. I am running these on a
        Universal III,
        and it does require re-inking after each impression. I also pre-ink at least
        once, sometimes twice.

        Fine detail in the reverse causes severe problems, and would call for less
        dampening and
        somewhat less Setswell Compound. If you insist on such fine detail, you might
        try printing
        out on newsprint after each impression to clean the plate from excess ink.

        The full reverse requires a great deal of impression; sufficient that it might
        require
        an initial two-handed crank.

        All best

        Philip Gallo at The Hermetic Press

        Katie Harper wrote:

        > Just had a workshop group of folks printing from polymer plates, with mixed
        > results. In most cases, when folks proofed on coated stock, they'd like what
        > they'd see and then when they tried to print on the run stock (usually
        > uncoated, ranging from Rives printmaking paper to card stock), almost all
        > were disappointed with the results. Even wetting the Rives slightly didn't
        > seem to give us a richer black in the larger solids.
        >
        > In some cases, what was being asked of the process was a bit impossible.
        > Fine detail in some areas with good blacks in the large solid areas. Plates
        > that contained both were especially problematic. However, I think that we
        > should have had a bit more satisfaction than we did.
        >
        > I attributed some of the dissatisfaction on the uncoated stock to the wrong
        > ink. We used Inmont Midnight Black, an ink I inherited with a load of
        > letterpress equipment last summer. It has worked quite nicely in the past
        > with type, but doesn't seem to do well with images, especially with larger
        > solids on uncoated stock. I think that some of the problems also might have
        > been due to some bad rollers on a "new" Vandercook that I recently got. The
        > rollers are smooth enough, but I suspect they have grown hard over the
        > years, perhaps leading to the obvious roller slur that we got.
        >
        > I know there has been some discussion about inks on this list in the past,
        > and I'm going to be ordering some "real" letterpress black ink; but I'm
        > wondering if any letterpress ink is capable of doing what I mention above:
        > give good blacks and yet hold fine detail on uncoated stocks.
        >
        > Any suggestions appreciated.
        >
        > Katie Harper
        > Ars Brevis Press
        > Cincinnati, OH
        > 513-233-9588

        > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
        >
        > To log on to the groupsite (confirmed Yahoo ID required), go to
        > http://groups.yahoogroups.com/group/PPLetterpress
        > [copious reference sources can be found onsite in Bookmarks (URLs),
        > Database (tables), Files (documents), and Messages (archives)]
        >
        > Encountering problems? send an email to
        > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
        >
        > To unsubscribe, send an email to

      • Gaylord Schanilec
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 10, 2002
          I think printing large solids with fine detail on a Vandercook (or any press)
          requires alot of finicky putzing--probably more than could be done in a
          classroom situation. It requires a proper method, involving inking and cleaning
          the plate. This can take hours, even days to realize. A basic problem in
          printing such a combination on the Vandercook is the press's inherent lack of
          ink control due to the ink being applied to the rollers periodically by hand, as
          opposed to an ink fountain. Every X number of impressions (sometimes one), ink
          must be added, and every X number of impressions (sometimes one), the plate must
          be cleaned, and there are varring degrees of cleaning the plate. For instance,
          it may need cleaning with a dry rag every two impressions, and then a thorough
          cleaning with type wash and a brush every five impressions. (Is typewash okay
          with polymer plates?) All of this leads to an inevitable inconsistancy from
          impression to impression. The trick is getting enough consistancy that you are
          the only one who knows. And one day, sometimes years later, you can look at it
          objectivly and think, "It really didn't turn out all that bad". Gaylor.d
          Schanilec

          Katie Harper wrote:

          > Just had a workshop group of folks printing from polymer plates, with mixed
          > results. In most cases, when folks proofed on coated stock, they'd like what
          > they'd see and then when they tried to print on the run stock (usually
          > uncoated, ranging from Rives printmaking paper to card stock), almost all
          > were disappointed with the results. Even wetting the Rives slightly didn't
          > seem to give us a richer black in the larger solids.
          >
          > In some cases, what was being asked of the process was a bit impossible.
          > Fine detail in some areas with good blacks in the large solid areas. Plates
          > that contained both were especially problematic. However, I think that we
          > should have had a bit more satisfaction than we did.
          >
          > I attributed some of the dissatisfaction on the uncoated stock to the wrong
          > ink. We used Inmont Midnight Black, an ink I inherited with a load of
          > letterpress equipment last summer. It has worked quite nicely in the past
          > with type, but doesn't seem to do well with images, especially with larger
          > solids on uncoated stock. I think that some of the problems also might have
          > been due to some bad rollers on a "new" Vandercook that I recently got. The
          > rollers are smooth enough, but I suspect they have grown hard over the
          > years, perhaps leading to the obvious roller slur that we got.
          >
          > I know there has been some discussion about inks on this list in the past,
          > and I'm going to be ordering some "real" letterpress black ink; but I'm
          > wondering if any letterpress ink is capable of doing what I mention above:
          > give good blacks and yet hold fine detail on uncoated stocks.
          >
          > Any suggestions appreciated.
          >
          > Katie Harper
          > Ars Brevis Press
          > Cincinnati, OH
          > 513-233-9588

          > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
          >
          > To log on to the groupsite (confirmed Yahoo ID required), go to
          > http://groups.yahoogroups.com/group/PPLetterpress
          > [copious reference sources can be found onsite in Bookmarks (URLs),
          > Database (tables), Files (documents), and Messages (archives)]
          >
          > Encountering problems? send an email to
          > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
          >
          > To unsubscribe, send an email to

        • Marnie Powers-Torrey
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 27, 2002
            Katie and Philip-

            I've been out of town for a month and apologize for the tardiness of my
            question. In the discussion below, are you referring to printing
            intaglio on a letterpress when you speak of printing "full reverse"?

            Marnie

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com

            To log on to the groupsite (confirmed Yahoo ID required), go to
            http://groups.yahoogroups.com/group/PPLetterpress
            [copious reference sources can be found onsite in Bookmarks (URLs),
            Database (tables), Files (documents), and Messages (archives)]

            Encountering problems? send an email to
            PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com

            To unsubscribe, send an email to

            Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 27, 2002
              I don't know about Philip, but when I say "reverse" I mean white type on a
              black background. It is not an intaglio process; the ink is still on the top
              of the form and not below the surface, as in intaglio.

              Katie Harper
              Ars Brevis Press
              Cincinnati, OH
              513-233-9588

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 27, 2002
                Katie-

                Thanks for the response. That's what I mean by reverse also, but wasn't
                clear on why Philip felt that that would need more pressure.

                Marnie

                I don't know about Philip, but when I say "reverse" I mean white type on
                black background. It is not an intaglio process; the ink is still on the
                top
                of the form and not below the surface, as in intaglio.

                Katie Harper
                Ars Brevis Press
                Cincinnati, OH
                513-233-9588

                > From: "Marnie Powers-Torrey" <marnie.torrey@...>
                > Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 13:13:48 -0700
                > To: <PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com>
                > Subject: RE: [PPLetterpress] Printing troubles?
                >
                > Katie and Philip-
                >
                > I've been out of town for a month and apologize for the tardiness of
                my
                > question. In the discussion below, are you referring to printing
                > intaglio on a letterpress when you speak of printing "full reverse"?
                >
                > Marnie

              • bielerpr
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 27, 2002
                  Hey Phil

                  Forgot about this until Marnie brought it up again. I'd agree
                  with all this—though the image of that "two-handed crank" has stayed
                  with me. Can even feel it in my forearms!!! You are doing this on
                  photopolymer? Thought your Vandercook III was auto?

                  The Charbonnel inks work quite well for solids and with the addition
                  of Setswell compound. And if you are working with some fine lines
                  within, judicious wiping, as I think was suggested by Gaylord, is
                  what will do the trick.

                  Robin Price and I did a broadside of a large Matisse woodcut once
                  which was pretty much a solid with some fine edges to it. Think this
                  was the procedure as you have outlined it. Though probably a bit more
                  than a double hit.

                  All best

                  Ger

                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 28, 2002
                    Regarding the Daniel Smith black #65... I have been to their web site and
                    don't see that ink. Does anyone know if there is a more updated number? They
                    list a #75, for example, but not the word "velvet" in the title. Phone calls
                    to them go unanswered...

                    I have been using a newly acquired Hostmann-Steinberg black from NA
                    Graphics. So far, results have been good, but on the C&P, I have noticed
                    that blacks are not always completely as solid as they should be, as though
                    the ink is not flowing well into the paper fibers. Would the setswell
                    compound help? Someone else recommended plate oil, and I think stand oil was
                    also mentioned. Anyone have experience with any of these additives? Do they
                    tend to dilute the color at all?

                    Katie

                    Katie Harper
                    Ars Brevis Press
                    Cincinnati, OH
                    513-233-9588

                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 1, 2002

                      > I have been using a newly acquired Hostmann-Steinberg black from NA
                      > Graphics. So far, results have been good, but on the C&P, I have noticed
                      > that blacks are not always completely as solid as they should be, as though
                      > the ink is not flowing well into the paper fibers. Would the setswell
                      > compound help? Someone else recommended plate oil, and I think stand oil was
                      > also mentioned. Anyone have experience with any of these additives? Do they
                      > tend to dilute the color at all?
                      >
                      > Katie

                      Dear Katie

                      I would not use the Setswell compound for anything other than large
                      solids that are giving you trouble. You would not want to use it for
                      type. It will muck up the works.

                      If the blacks are not as "solid" as you would like would dampening
                      the paper or increasing the impression a bit help? If it is just that
                      they are not of the color that you want, maybe you could add a tad of
                      red to the black? To get a really deep black on say a large initial,
                      I will sometimes print first in red and then print over this in
                      black. Yes, a double run. But I use Vandercooks and they are quite
                      precise in register.

                      Best not to put any additive in an ink, though having said that, it
                      seems that you always find you have to. To loosen an ink I find that
                      better than the traditional cutting varnish, is to find another black
                      of the same manufacture and similar brand but one that has less
                      viscosity, and use that as a mix. You can alter the resultant color
                      with a bit of red or blue to get nearer the finished black that
                      appeals to you.

                      All best

                      Gerald
                    • Katie Harper
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 2, 2002
                        Gerald: Thanks for your tips. I did in fact try moistening the paper and got
                        a bit better blacks, but the results were not enough of an improvement to
                        justify the hassle.

                        This brings up a point: some say that humidity in the shop (or lack thereof)
                        is important; others say it makes no difference. Does anyone out there have
                        an opinion on that? On the day I was printing the above job, there was low
                        humidity (22%). The temp I can keep about 68-70°, but have not yet found a
                        way to control humidity, other than buying one of those small room
                        humidifiers. Is it worth it?

                        Katie Harper
                        Ars Brevis Press
                        Cincinnati, OH