Paper

  • studio8392000
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 10, 2005
      Hello all,
      I'm starting to print wedding invitations using letterpress. Can
      anyone tell me
      a good source for paper in colors other than white (need a heavy
      weight).
      Also any suggestions to watch out for when printing on color stock
      would be a
      great addition. Thanks for your help.
      Theresa
    • David S. Rose
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 10, 2005
        Theresa,
        There a good selection of links to paper vendors in the Introduction to
        letterpress, at www.fiveroses.org/intro.htm...

        -David

        > From: studio8392000 <studio839@...>
        > Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 19:11:14 -0000
        > To: "PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com" <PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com>
        > Subject: [PPLetterpress] Paper
        >
        > Hello all,
        > I'm starting to print wedding invitations using letterpress. Can
        > anyone tell me
        > a good source for paper in colors other than white (need a heavy
        > weight).
        > Also any suggestions to watch out for when printing on color stock
        > would be a
        > great addition. Thanks for your help.
        > Theresa
      • funquie
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 14, 2005
          Theresa,

          There is an Italian mill called Cartiera Magnani that makes delightful
          printmakers paper called "Magnani Pescia" in several colors. It's
          about the same weight as Rives BFK (around 300gsm), and comes in
          white, cream, pale blue, rose, tan, and I think a few other colors
          too. You can get it from any good paper supplier. I usually buy mine
          locally (when I get it in quantity) from a fellow in Hagerstown MD
          named Guy Kuhn who deals in art papers. You can also mail order it
          from Dick Blick, ASW, or just about any other big mail-order art
          supply house...

          It will run you around $3.00 a sheet for 22"x30" sheets. It's got
          deckles on all four sides. And it is a delight to print with, whether
          you're printing it dry, or you pre-moisten the paper.

          As far as I know, Magnani Pescia is about the only heavy-weight
          printmakers paper made that comes in a range of colors.

          Stonehenge makes their printmakers paper in a few colors (white,
          black, cream, natural, fawn, grey). It's about 280gsm, and will cost
          under $2.00 a sheet. It's not as nice as Pescia, and tends to fleck up
          it's fibers if you print it dry...

          Of course, if you don't need somethign that heavy, Canson Mi-Teintes
          and Fabriano Tiziano both come in a broad range of colors. They are
          ostensibly sold as pastel drawing papers, but at around 160gsm, and
          with only light surface sizing, they work well for letterpress. I'd
          suggest printing them slightly damp though, because they have pretty
          pronounced texture. You'll get smoother coverage if you dampen the
          paper a little. Both of these papers will run you under $2.00 a sheet.

          I hope this helps, and good luck printing your wedding pieces!

          --Richard Creighton
          "Dreamer Press"
          Martinsburg, WV
          APA#764
        • Mark Bauder
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 2, 2005
            Hi,

            Does anyone know of a source for Somerset Velvet 300gm 22" x 30" Soft White
            stock besides Legion Paper. Thanks in advance.

            Mark Bauder
            Sonoma Printers
            Vallejo, California
            707/644-4186
          • Jessica Spring
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 2, 2005
              You might try Dolphin Papers:
              http://homepage.mac.com/dolphinpapers/Catalog2004.htm

              > From: Mark Bauder <sonomaprinters@...>
              > Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 13:05:57 +0000
              > To: <PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com>
              > Subject: [PPLetterpress] Paper
              >

              > Hi,
              >
              > Does anyone know of a source for Somerset Velvet 300gm 22" x 30" Soft White
              > stock besides Legion Paper. Thanks in advance.
              >
              > Mark Bauder
              > Sonoma Printers
              > Vallejo, California
              > 707/644-4186
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Susan MAKOV
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 2, 2005
                From what I understand, because I had tried to get the best price for
                these papers, Legion is a subsiary of Canson USA, which is the importer
                for this paper from France. I was told that I would have to purchase
                about $30,000 worth of paper per year to get a discount beyond what
                several retailers sell their paper at. Wholesalers do not want to
                compete with their retailers. I have used Kinsella papers, which for the
                papers I wish to purchase, is as good as I could find.

                If anyone else has a solution, I would love to know what you found out.

                Susan Makov, Weber State University
              • Katie Harper
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 2, 2005
                  Try Stephen Kinsella Papers in St. Louis. They have been my sole supplier of
                  this paper for years. Large catalog; Great prices and service.

                  Katie Harper
                  Ars Brevis Press
                  Beverly, MA

                  on 3/2/05 8:05 AM, Mark Bauder at sonomaprinters@... wrote:

                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > Does anyone know of a source for Somerset Velvet 300gm 22" x 30" Soft White
                  > stock besides Legion Paper. Thanks in advance.
                  >
                  > Mark Bauder
                  > Sonoma Printers
                  > Vallejo, California
                  > 707/644-4186
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129jkvmnv/M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=grou
                  > ps/S=1706389862:HM/EXP=1109884063/A=2593423/R=0/SIG=11el9gslf/*http://www.netf
                  > lix.com/Default?mqso=60190075>

                  > *
                  > *
                  > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                • Roderick
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 2, 2005
                    Hi Mark,

                    ASW Express > http://www.aswexpress.com/ < has the best price, I've
                    found, outside of Legion. Depending on quantity, it may be cheaper to
                    order from Legion. Warm regards, Roderick

                    --- Jessica Spring <springtide@...> wrote:

                    > You might try Dolphin Papers:
                    > http://homepage.mac.com/dolphinpapers/Catalog2004.htm
                    >
                    > > From: Mark Bauder <sonomaprinters@...>
                    > > Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 13:05:57 +0000
                    > > To: <PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com>
                    > > Subject: [PPLetterpress] Paper
                    > >

                    > > Hi,
                    > >
                    > > Does anyone know of a source for Somerset Velvet 300gm 22" x 30"
                    > Soft White
                    > > stock besides Legion Paper. Thanks in advance.
                    > >
                    > > Mark Bauder
                    > > Sonoma Printers
                    > > Vallejo, California
                    > > 707/644-4186
                    > >

                    > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    __________________________________
                    Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
                  • Roderick
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 2, 2005
                      Hi Susan,

                      The last time I ordered from Legion I hit their magic number of $250.
                      Pricewise, the Somerset paper I ordered from them was cheaper than
                      ANY store online or otherwise that I could find. Best, Roderick

                      --- Susan MAKOV <smakov@...> wrote:

                      > From what I understand, because I had tried to get the best price
                      > for
                      > these papers, Legion is a subsiary of Canson USA, which is the
                      > importer
                      > for this paper from France. I was told that I would have to
                      > purchase
                      > about $30,000 worth of paper per year to get a discount beyond what
                      > several retailers sell their paper at. Wholesalers do not want to
                      > compete with their retailers. I have used Kinsella papers, which
                      > for the
                      > papers I wish to purchase, is as good as I could find.
                      >
                      > If anyone else has a solution, I would love to know what you found
                      > out.
                      >
                      > Susan Makov, Weber State University

                      __________________________________
                      Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
                    • Kim Vanderheiden
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 3, 2005
                        I also highly recommend Stephen Kinsella Paper in St. Louis. I've been
                        working with them for years, and even now that I am working at a high
                        enough volume to make certain purchases from Legion, Kinsella still
                        gets a lot of my business because I'm not required to buy full
                        packages, and minimum order is something like $35. You can get their
                        phone number and download their price list on line.
                        www.kinsellaartpapers.com/home.htm

                        Kim Vanderheiden
                        The Painted Tongue Press
                        Oakland, CA

                        > Message: 4
                        > Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 13:05:57 +0000
                        > From: Mark Bauder <sonomaprinters@...>
                        > Subject: Paper
                        >
                        > Hi,
                        >
                        > Does anyone know of a source for Somerset Velvet 300gm 22" x 30" Soft
                        > White
                        > stock besides Legion Paper. Thanks in advance.
                        >
                        > Mark Bauder
                        > Sonoma Printers
                        > Vallejo, California
                        > 707/644-4186
                        >

                        > Message: 7
                        > Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 16:15:30 -0700
                        > From: "Susan MAKOV" <smakov@...>
                        > Subject: Re: Paper
                        >
                        > . . . I have used Kinsella papers, which for the
                        > papers I wish to purchase, is as good as I could find.
                        >
                        > If anyone else has a solution, I would love to know what you found out.
                        >
                        > Susan Makov, Weber State University
                        >

                        > Message: 8
                        > Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 18:52:14 -0500
                        > From: Katie Harper <knharper@...>
                        > Subject: Re: Paper
                        >
                        > Try Stephen Kinsella Papers in St. Louis. They have been my sole
                        > supplier of
                        > this paper for years. Large catalog; Great prices and service.
                        >
                        > Katie Harper
                        > Ars Brevis Press
                        > Beverly, MA

                      • Robert McGonigle
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 4, 2005
                          Hello:

                          Legion is part of Gould Paper based in New York.
                          Legion represents Canson and other foreign mills here
                          in the states.

                          Bob

                          --- Susan MAKOV <smakov@...> wrote:
                          > From what I understand, because I had tried to get
                          > the best price for
                          > these papers, Legion is a subsiary of Canson USA,
                          > which is the importer
                          > for this paper from France. I was told that I would
                          > have to purchase
                          > about $30,000 worth of paper per year to get a
                          > discount beyond what
                          > several retailers sell their paper at. Wholesalers
                          > do not want to
                          > compete with their retailers. I have used Kinsella
                          > papers, which for the
                          > papers I wish to purchase, is as good as I could
                          > find.
                          >
                          > If anyone else has a solution, I would love to know
                          > what you found out.
                          >
                          > Susan Makov, Weber State University

                          Bob McGonigle
                          18 George Street
                          Milford, CT 06460
                          203-876-7615
                          bobmcgonigle@...

                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                        • Don Drake
                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 5, 2005
                            Greetings printers,

                            I am seeking prices for letterpress work for the components of my
                            current limited edition. This will be the first of 3 similar projects
                            that will be produced during the next 2 years.

                            Part 1
                            Quantity: 65
                            Paper: #100 Mohawk Superfine Cover, White
                            Ink: Light neutral Pantone, exact number to be determined. Possibly in
                            the warm grey range.
                            There will be four 9x13" sheets (finished size) to be printed front and
                            back. These sheets will later be folded to folios of 9x6.5" pages. The
                            printing on these sheets is minimal, consisting of the page number at
                            the bottom of each page. Deep impressions will not be desirable since
                            these are printed both sides.

                            Part 2
                            Quantity: 65
                            Paper: 280 gsm Rives BFK, Off White
                            Ink: Same as part 1
                            This will be a 4.5x6.625" panel (finished size) more or less filled
                            with text.

                            Part 3
                            Quantity: 115
                            Paper: 280 gsm Rives BFK, Off White
                            Ink: Same as part 1
                            This will be a 4.5x6.625" panel (finished size) more or less filled
                            with text.

                            Part 4
                            Quantity: 65
                            Paper: 280 gsm Rives BFK, Off White
                            Ink: Same as part 1
                            This will be a 9x13.25" sheet (finished size) to be printed 1 side.
                            This sheet will be folded down to two 9x6.5 panels with a .25" spine.
                            The content will be the title page information.

                            I will provide the paper as parent sheets or cut as you require. The
                            page content will be sent as digital pages, either EPS files with fonts
                            converted to outlines or PDFs with fonts embedded. Gang the work as you
                            see fit, I will do the cutting later. Eventually all the pages will
                            need to be scored for folding. If you want to bid this also, feel free.
                            I may do the scoring myself.

                            I would prefer itemized quotes so I can ball park things if specs
                            change for some reason. Let me know how long your quote is good for and
                            what kind of turn-around time I can expect. I need pricing by start of
                            day Friday, March 11. I will have a scheduling/strategy meeting on
                            March 11.

                            Call, email or IM for further details,
                            Don Drake
                            Dreaming Mind