Just posted some pictures...

  • dpetrzelka
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 3, 2005
      I just posted a few pictures to the PPLetterpress page, under the PETRZELKA folder

      The first is my newest press, a 12X18 C&P that I adopted from Ali Goodwin. I took this
      picture while I had the press stripped down for pressure washing with a degreaser.
      Nothing like having the right equipment for cleaning a press. (I follow the hot
      pressure washing with a thorough drying with an airgun, and then plenty of weigh oil.

      The second picture is of an unusual metal hook that rides under the platen -- it
      extend down into the middle of the press and has a wire that wraps around one of the
      round metal bars that is in front of the press operatrs shins.

      Anyone know what this is for? Pulling the hook doesn't appear to do anything, as it is
      not hooked to anything that moves. Weird.

      The third photo is of the inside of the Semi-truck trailer I get to use as my letterpress
      studio. My uncles and dad said that if I clean it out- I can use it. As you can see from
      the photo-- its half junk, half treasure, but a lot of hours of work.

      Daniel Petrzelka
    • typetom@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 3, 2005
        In a message dated 1/3/2005, petrzed@... writes:
        The second picture is of an unusual metal hook that rides under the platen --
        it extend down into the middle of the press and has a wire that wraps around
        one of the round metal bars that is in front of the press operatrs shins.

        Anyone know what this is for? Pulling the hook doesn't appear to do
        anything, as it is not hooked to anything that moves. Weird.
        Hi Daniel,
        Not sure but I venture a guess it may be a hook to activate a safety system
        that was available for platen presses -- a canvass shield that lifted or rolled
        up in front of the feed table as the platen moved to print. It would keep you
        from reaching into the press as it closed. I think they were common for
        schools, I've only seen one or two on existing presses but I didn't look closely to
        see how they were activated. Somebody on Letpress must still have one!
        Best wishes, Tom

        Tom Parson
        Now It's Up To You Publications
        157 S. Logan, Denver CO 80209
        (303) 777-8951
        http://members.aol.com/typetom

      • Lance Williams
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 3, 2005
          Well, we have 10x15's and 8x12's with the sheet guards installed, and they don't use any clips/hooks like this... They are operated by levers on the outside of the platen.... I'll take some pictures tomorrow and post them so you can see what they actually look like installed....

          - Lance Williams
          Williams Stationery Co.
          Camden, NY 13316

[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Links