Platemaker

  • Tim Honnor
    Message 1 of 29 , Feb 3, 2002
      Good evening from Scotland.
      I have just purchased a second hand POLIMERO A3 Polymer Platemaker. It says
      'Made in Holland' and is orange in colour. I think it is circa 1986.
      Does anyone know this unit and where I might be able to get spares and a
      handbook.
      Many thanks
      Tim Honnor
      --
      Tim Honnor - Piccolo Press - Harbour Street - Nairn - IV12 4PG
      tel: 01667 454508 fax:01667 454509
      Message 2 of 29 , Feb 3, 2002
        tim, contact gene becker at http://www.photopolymerplates.com . -brian

        > ----------

      • bielerpr
        Message 3 of 29 , Feb 3, 2002
          Tim

          The Polimero is still being made. A good machine. It was imported
          into the US by Gene Becker but I believe he has since switched to an
          Italian made machine. Manual and parts are still available from

          Houtstra b.v.
          Supplier of Polimero photopolymer printing plate processors in
          the Netherlands

          http://www.houtstra.nl/

          Gerald

          --- In PPLetterpress@y..., Tim Honnor <print@p...> wrote:
          > Good evening from Scotland.
          > I have just purchased a second hand POLIMERO A3 Polymer Platemaker. It says
          > 'Made in Holland' and is orange in colour. I think it is circa 1986.
          > Does anyone know this unit and where I might be able to get spares and a
          > handbook.
          > Many thanks
          > Tim Honnor
          > --
          > Tim Honnor - Piccolo Press - Harbour Street - Nairn - IV12 4PG
          > tel: 01667 454508 fax:01667 454509
          > www.piccolopress.co.uk
        • Tim Honnor
          Message 4 of 29 , Mar 26, 2003
            Good morning all from Scotland. I think this is the first time I have
            sent a question to the group use the group. However, I read the
            e-mails with interest.
            I have a Polimero A3 water-wash platemaker and my steel backed plates
            are supposed to stick to the vibrating plate with a sticky back. I
            think it may be a substance called 'Mag Back' - but it is not
            magnetic. I have great trouble keeping plates, especially small ones
            stuck to this backing and often find them sitting on the brushes,
            untouched, when I open the lid.
            Is there a magnetic base that I could screw onto the vibrating unit
            that will not be ruined by the water and is thin enough - and not too
            expensive?! Any ideas welcomed.
            Tim Honnor

            --
            Tim Honnor - Piccolo Press - 90 Harbour Street - Nairn - IV12 4PG
            tel 01667 454508 fax 01667 454509
            Message 5 of 29 , Mar 26, 2003
              Tim,

              My A&V platemaker had the same stuff. The material that was on my plate
              maker washout was for non-steel backed plates. I used it for a while but
              then had to strip it off and apply mag-back. Mag-back seems to be nothing
              more than thin magnetic sheeting, exactly like the stuff they sell in art
              supply stores. My guess is you could simply measure the thickness of the
              material that is already on your platemaker and then order a large magnetic
              sheet of the same thickness, cut it out to size and apply it with some
              double-sided adhesive, which is exactly what I did. Also, find a durable
              (liquid-plastic) adhesive/sealant to fill in the edges of the mag-back after
              it has been applied to your washout attachment. This prevents water from
              getting under the mag-back.

              My A&V rep wasn¹t joking when he said these platemakers are not rocket
              science.

              Cheers,
              Bryan

              €‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹€
              Bryan Hutcheson
              Manifesto LetterPress
              116 Pleasant St. #2245
              Easthampton, MA 01027

              p/f: 413.529.0009
              http://www.manifestopress.com
              €‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹€

            • thronobulx@aol.com
              Message 6 of 29 , Mar 26, 2003
                I too have had trouble with small plates not sticking. I've found that plates
                around 4" square hold on fine, so that is about as small as I dare to go. Its
                more expensive, but better than wasting time on a second burn.

                James Shanley
              • Frances & Nicolas
                Message 7 of 29 , Mar 26, 2003
                  Dear Tim ( . . . from one celtic fringe to another!)

                  My (ancient) Polimero machine here has a dark red magnetic plate
                  installed as standard and has no problem at all in securely holding
                  steel-backed plates of any size - though I very seldom make very small
                  ones. I suppose the machine was made before the flexo industry had got so
                  deeply into non-metal-backed plates.

                  I cannot quite understand from your message whether your plate seems like
                  a magnet but doesn't work or whether it is designed to hold non-metal
                  plates. If the former, I suppose you haven't get hold of some aluminium
                  backed plates?

                  Best wishes
                  Nicolas

                  The Old Stile Press
                  Catchmays Court
                  Llandogo, Monmouth NP25 4TN UK
                  phone & fax 01291 689226
                  oldstile@...
                  www.oldstilepress.com
                • Tim Honnor
                  Message 8 of 29 , Mar 27, 2003
                    Thanks a lot. I have a sticky black plate that I think was called
                    Magback but is not magnetic. I am trying to find a sheet of magnetic
                    material to screw down in lieu. The first quote I got was £350!
                    Best wishes
                    Tim Honnor

                    In message <20030326190528.029B8642C6@...>, Frances &
                    Nicolas <oldstile@...> writes

                    Message 9 of 29 , Mar 27, 2003
                      Thanks. I think this must be an answer!
                      Tim

                      In message <26.36f523c0.2bb31b3b@...>, thronobulx@... writes

                      Message 10 of 29 , Mar 27, 2003
                        Thanks Bryan. I will do that!
                        Best wishes from Scotland
                        Tim Honnor

                        In message <BAA71C55.1B67%bryan@...>, Bryan Hutcheson
                        <bryan@...> writes
                        >Tim,
                        >
                        >My A&V platemaker had the same stuff. The material that was on my plate
                        >maker washout was for non-steel backed plates. I used it for a while but
                        >then had to strip it off and apply mag-back. Mag-back seems to be nothing
                        >more than thin magnetic sheeting, exactly like the stuff they sell in art
                        >supply stores. My guess is you could simply measure the thickness of the
                        >material that is already on your platemaker and then order a large magnetic
                        >sheet of the same thickness, cut it out to size and apply it with some
                        >double-sided adhesive, which is exactly what I did. Also, find a durable
                        >(liquid-plastic) adhesive/sealant to fill in the edges of the mag-back after
                        >it has been applied to your washout attachment. This prevents water from
                        >getting under the mag-back.
                        >
                        >My A&V rep wasn¹t joking when he said these platemakers are not rocket
                        >science.
                        >

                        >Cheers,
                        >Bryan
                        >

                        >€‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹€
                        >Bryan Hutcheson
                        >Manifesto LetterPress
                        >116 Pleasant St. #2245
                        >Easthampton, MA 01027
                        >
                        >p/f: 413.529.0009
                        >http://www.manifestopress.com
                        >€‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹€

                        >• To respond to a post or post a message to the membership:
                        >PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
                        >• Encountering problems? contact:
                        >PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
                        >• To unsubscribe:

                        Tim Honnor - Piccolo Press - 90 Harbour Street - Nairn - IV12 4PG
                        tel: 01667 454508 fax 01667 454509
                        www.piccolopress.co.uk
                      • zida
                        Message 11 of 29 , Mar 27, 2003
                          Dear Group

                          I've sometimes made too-small plates and have simply used larger pieces
                          of blank plate material to wedge the wandering thing in place. It works
                          really well and you don't have to waste anything.

                          Best to you all,

                          Zida Borcich

                          Tim Honnor wrote:

                          >Thanks. I think this must be an answer!
                          >Tim
                          >
                          >In message <26.36f523c0.2bb31b3b@...>, thronobulx@... writes
                          >

                          >>I too have had trouble with small plates not sticking. I've found that plates
                          >>around 4" square hold on fine, so that is about as small as I dare to go. Its
                          >>more expensive, but better than wasting time on a second burn.
                          >>
                          >>James Shanley
                          >>

                          >>• To respond to a post or post a message to the membership:
                          >>PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
                          >>• Encountering problems? contact:
                          >>PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
                          >>• To unsubscribe:

                        • Harold Kyle
                          Message 12 of 29 , Mar 28, 2003
                            On 3/26/03 3:36 AM, "Tim Honnor" <print@...> wrote:
                            > I have great trouble keeping plates, especially small ones
                            > stuck to this backing and often find them sitting on the brushes,
                            > untouched, when I open the lid.

                            Perhaps you know this but you need to squeegie the mat between mounting
                            plates on the platen. If the mat is wet at all it won't hold the plates. It
                            may appear dry, but a squeegie makes all the difference in the world. Also,
                            the metal backing can't be curled or wavy for it to hold.

                            I hope this helps,

                            Harold

                            ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
                            Boxcar Press
                            640 Fellows Avenue ~ Syracuse, NY 13210
                            315-473-0930 ~ phone and fax
                            www.boxcarpress.com
                            ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
                          • Casey McGarr
                            Message 13 of 29 , Feb 1, 2008
                              Oops, I posted this on APA and it should have been here. Sorry for the cross post.

                              I know this has been asked before and I've read the archives but here is a
                              question for anyone that owns a plate maker.

                              I'm considering an AV plate maker that will produce a 12x12 plate. It fits my needs except
                              when I produce posters and then I may just carve the image and set the type in wood or
                              metal. Has anyone found that this size plate maker is limited to any work you do and wish
                              you had purchased a larger plate maker?

                              It's a bit of an investment for me although the amount of work coming through the shop can
                              justify such a purchase. Any feedback would be grateful.

                              Casey
                              iLP
                              Message 14 of 29 , Feb 1, 2008
                                Hi Casey

                                I think you might find this a bit constrictive. Depends somewhat also on
                                how large you work, that is to say, how large you can work. Base size,
                                bed size. You could always out source for the occasional larger image
                                piece. If the price is right might well be a good option.

                                Casey McGarr wrote:
                                > Oops, I posted this on APA and it should have been here. Sorry for the cross post.
                                >
                                > I know this has been asked before and I've read the archives but here is a
                                > question for anyone that owns a plate maker.
                                >
                                > I'm considering an AV plate maker that will produce a 12x12 plate. It fits my needs except
                                > when I produce posters and then I may just carve the image and set the type in wood or
                                > metal. Has anyone found that this size plate maker is limited to any work you do and wish
                                > you had purchased a larger plate maker?
                                >
                                > It's a bit of an investment for me although the amount of work coming through the shop can
                                > justify such a purchase. Any feedback would be grateful.
                                >
                                > Casey
                                > iLP

                              • Lisa Davidson
                                Message 15 of 29 , Feb 1, 2008
                                  Hee hee, you said you were a hobby printer!! I did wonder about that.

                                  Lisa

                                  On Feb 1, 2008, at 4:26 PM, Casey McGarr wrote:

                                  > Oops, I posted this on APA and it should have been here. Sorry for
                                  > the cross post.
                                  >
                                  > I know this has been asked before and I've read the archives but
                                  > here is a
                                  > question for anyone that owns a plate maker.
                                  >
                                  > I'm considering an AV plate maker that will produce a 12x12 plate.
                                  > It fits my needs except
                                  > when I produce posters and then I may just carve the image and set
                                  > the type in wood or
                                  > metal. Has anyone found that this size plate maker is limited to
                                  > any work you do and wish
                                  > you had purchased a larger plate maker?
                                  >
                                  > It's a bit of an investment for me although the amount of work
                                  > coming through the shop can
                                  > justify such a purchase. Any feedback would be grateful.
                                  >
                                  > Casey
                                  > iLP

                                • Erik Desmyter
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Feb 2, 2008
                                    Talking about posters how large (length & width) can letterpress polymer
                                    plates go and what are the maximum length/width limitations of the
                                    platemaking equipment to process them?

                                    Regards,
                                    Erik

                                    Casey McGarr wrote:
                                    > Oops, I posted this on APA and it should have been here. Sorry for the
                                    > cross post.
                                    >
                                    > I know this has been asked before and I've read the archives but here is a
                                    > question for anyone that owns a plate maker.
                                    >
                                    > I'm considering an AV plate maker that will produce a 12x12 plate. It fits
                                    > my needs except
                                    > when I produce posters and then I may just carve the image and set the
                                    > type in wood or
                                    > metal. Has anyone found that this size plate maker is limited to any work
                                    > you do and wish
                                    > you had purchased a larger plate maker?
                                    >
                                    > It's a bit of an investment for me although the amount of work coming
                                    > through the shop can
                                    > justify such a purchase. Any feedback would be grateful.
                                    >
                                    > Casey
                                    > iLP
                                  • Elisabeth Long
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Feb 2, 2008
                                      It is always nice to have the flexibility of a larger platemaker but
                                      whether that is worth the expense probably depends on what types of
                                      designs you do and how often you'd need the larger size.

                                      One of the things I love about nonmetal-backed polymer is that it is
                                      so easy to cut up into pieces that can be arranged wherever you want
                                      on the base, which means you can cover a larger area than the size of
                                      the original plate (provided you have large enough bases...). [Of
                                      course this can be done with metal-backed as well, it is just that
                                      once I switched I found I could gang up images in a more flexible way
                                      on the negatives/pplates and cut around them in nice curves that
                                      matched the layout.]

                                      On the other hand, there are times when it can be nice to do a full
                                      plate with everything laid out, instead of doing the layout on the
                                      base. In such cases you'd need to be able to make large enough plates
                                      for your project. I've done that for a broadside and for the recent
                                      cover for the Journal of Artists books which had an image that wrapped
                                      across the full spread front to back. It really stretched the
                                      capability of the platemaker we have at Columbia College because the
                                      plate (11x17) was not much smaller than the vacuum bed so getting a
                                      good seal was rather fiddly. you really need a decent gap all the way
                                      around your polymer to ensure a good seal.

                                      So a lot can depend upon the kinds of designs you do and whether you
                                      could piece together the components of your posters or if your designs
                                      requires a continuous line. with the non-metal backed polymer it is
                                      amazing how closely you can cut components of a layout and piece them
                                      together.

                                      <erik.desmyter@...> wrote:

                                      > Talking about posters how large (length & width) can letterpress
                                      polymer
                                      > plates go and what are the maximum length/width limitations of the
                                      > platemaking equipment to process them?
                                      >
                                      > Regards,
                                      > Erik

                                    • Casey McGarr
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Feb 2, 2008
                                        Thanks everyone for your comments. Lots to consider but I think I have my answer by all the
                                        posts here.

                                        Casey
                                        iLP
                                      • Kim Vanderheiden
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Feb 4, 2008
                                          Casey,

                                          We own a 12x12 AV platemaker. I suspect it's the same model you're
                                          considering. It gets the job done, but we had better results from our
                                          previous plate maker. Although we bought our AV 12x12 new, it arrived
                                          with no instructions specific to this machine. I'm sure the folks on
                                          this list can help with general instructions if you don't already
                                          have experience, but. . . we thought some factory info would have
                                          been nice. The oven comes at a pre-set temperature from the factory.
                                          There are no heat controls on the unit, which was not the case with
                                          our previous unit. The heat from the oven/dryer is supposed to heat
                                          the bath water to the appropriate temperature, which means the unit
                                          has to be on for some time--a couple of hours, I'd guess, to bring it
                                          up to temp.

                                          Sometimes we have to redo plates because they've become too brittle
                                          or have separated from the metal during the platemaking process. We
                                          used to never have to remake plates (unless due to our own errors of
                                          course!). We find that we are watching the plates carefully for color
                                          shifts that indicate the plates have become brittle, and we think the
                                          drying heater, or possibly the post exposure time, is the culprit and
                                          have limited the time in there.

                                          That said, this model is a good price and a good size if you don't
                                          have a lot of space for a big machine. We don't make posters, though.
                                          You might prefer an A2 size for posters.

                                          Kim Vanderheiden

                                          Platemaker

                                          Posted by: "Casey McGarr" casey@... cmcgarr1957
                                          Fri Feb 1, 2008 4:26 pm (PST)

                                          Oops, I posted this on APA and it should have been here. Sorry for
                                          the cross post.

                                          I know this has been asked before and I've read the archives but here
                                          is a
                                          question for anyone that owns a plate maker.

                                          I'm considering an AV plate maker that will produce a 12x12 plate. It
                                          fits my needs except
                                          when I produce posters and then I may just carve the image and set
                                          the type in wood or
                                          metal. Has anyone found that this size plate maker is limited to any
                                          work you do and wish
                                          you had purchased a larger plate maker?

                                          It's a bit of an investment for me although the amount of work coming
                                          through the shop can
                                          justify such a purchase. Any feedback would be grateful.

                                          Casey
                                          iLP
                                        • nagraph1
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Feb 4, 2008
                                            If you have a hot water tap and a thermometer, you can readily get to
                                            the wash temperature without waiting for the machine to get there--
                                            same is true if the water temp is too high--add cold water and drain
                                            off the excess water. AV should furnish basic instructions. The Jet
                                            machines we sell come with the basic instructions.

                                            fritz

                                            --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Kim Vanderheiden

                                            Message 21 of 29 , Feb 4, 2008
                                              Kim

                                              There is a link to a downloadable A&V Orbital X Manual on site:

                                              Links>Photopolymer plate tech info, recent developments, and other
                                              resources and reference>

                                              It may or may not have some answers, depending upon what model you have.

                                              <paintedtongue@...> wrote:

                                              > Casey,
                                              >
                                              > We own a 12x12 AV platemaker. I suspect it's the same model you're
                                              > considering. It gets the job done, but we had better results from our
                                              > previous plate maker. Although we bought our AV 12x12 new, it arrived
                                              > with no instructions specific to this machine. I'm sure the folks on
                                              > this list can help with general instructions if you don't already
                                              > have experience, but. . . we thought some factory info would have
                                              > been nice. The oven comes at a pre-set temperature from the factory.
                                              > There are no heat controls on the unit, which was not the case with
                                              > our previous unit. The heat from the oven/dryer is supposed to heat
                                              > the bath water to the appropriate temperature, which means the unit
                                              > has to be on for some time--a couple of hours, I'd guess, to bring it
                                              > up to temp.
                                              >
                                              > Sometimes we have to redo plates because they've become too brittle
                                              > or have separated from the metal during the platemaking process. We
                                              > used to never have to remake plates (unless due to our own errors of
                                              > course!). We find that we are watching the plates carefully for color
                                              > shifts that indicate the plates have become brittle, and we think the
                                              > drying heater, or possibly the post exposure time, is the culprit and
                                              > have limited the time in there.
                                              >
                                              > That said, this model is a good price and a good size if you don't
                                              > have a lot of space for a big machine. We don't make posters, though.
                                              > You might prefer an A2 size for posters.
                                              >
                                              > Kim Vanderheiden
                                              >

                                              > Platemaker
                                              >
                                              > Posted by: "Casey McGarr" casey@... cmcgarr1957
                                              > Fri Feb 1, 2008 4:26 pm (PST)
                                              >
                                              > Oops, I posted this on APA and it should have been here. Sorry for
                                              > the cross post.
                                              >
                                              > I know this has been asked before and I've read the archives but here
                                              > is a
                                              > question for anyone that owns a plate maker.
                                              >
                                              > I'm considering an AV plate maker that will produce a 12x12 plate. It
                                              > fits my needs except
                                              > when I produce posters and then I may just carve the image and set
                                              > the type in wood or
                                              > metal. Has anyone found that this size plate maker is limited to any
                                              > work you do and wish
                                              > you had purchased a larger plate maker?
                                              >
                                              > It's a bit of an investment for me although the amount of work coming
                                              > through the shop can
                                              > justify such a purchase. Any feedback would be grateful.
                                              >
                                              > Casey
                                              > iLP

                                            • Bryan
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Feb 4, 2008
                                                Hey all
                                                Bryan from Manifesto Letterpress here. We're growing like crazy. 2008
                                                and 2009 are looking to bring us substantial growth.

                                                Get in touch with us directly:
                                                email: bryan@...
                                                phone: 866.529.0009
                                                web: www.manifestopress.com

                                                Presses:
                                                We're buying presses. Looking for 10x15 Windmills. I need 6 more by
                                                the end of the year. Only good quality machines please. Prefer
                                                lockouts, or later model red balls, but will consider a great
                                                condition black ball. A friend of mine runs a trucking company and
                                                they have trucks running all over the US. So the right press at a
                                                distance isn't a problem...

                                                Bunting Bases:
                                                Want to get rid of your Bunting Base? We need em. With a total of 9
                                                windmills required by the end of the year, we need bases for them.
                                                6"x9" is ideal but we'll consider other sizes as well.

                                                Press Operators:
                                                We're looking to immediately hire two (2) operators for late Spring,
                                                early Summer. We will also be hiring three more (3) for 2009. Yeah,
                                                you need to be experienced. We're only looking to train people who
                                                have a printing background.

                                                Benefits? Yes!
                                                Cool Place to work? Yes!
                                                Mountains? Yes!

                                                What we don't need:
                                                - Napoleon Dynamite wannabes. Yeah, the movie was great, but. we're
                                                looking for serious production people who are somewhat adjusted
                                                socially.

                                                -Boxcar Bases. We like em, but we're setup for production with
                                                Bunting Bases.

                                                -Kluges, C&Ps, Vandercooks, etc. (WE ARE LOOKING FOR WINDMILLS ONLY)

                                                bryan hutcheson
                                                manifesto letterpress
                                                116 pleasant street - 201/203
                                                easthampton, ma 01027
                                                p:413.529.0009
                                                f:413.529.1177
                                                www.manifestopress.com
                                                _________________________________
                                                a full-service design and letterpress studio
                                                announcements
                                                stationery
                                                packaging
                                                posters

                                                Message 23 of 29 , Feb 4, 2008
                                                  Bryan

                                                  Nice to see someone expanding in the face of an economic recession.
                                                  Best time to do it.

                                                  I'm a rep for Bunting and can supply as many Bunting bases as you
                                                  need. Bunting provides quantity discounts. There is a two to three
                                                  week waiting period as the bases are ground to your plate specifications.

                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Feb 4, 2008
                                                    William

                                                    Bunting was over for a visit last week and though I pissed and moaned
                                                    about the pricing (which increases annually like clockwork) and as
                                                    much other stuff as I could think of about their practices, they would
                                                    only promise they would not discontinue production. So, we are safe
                                                    for a bit.

                                                    Gerald

                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Feb 4, 2008
                                                      Hi Bryan

                                                      Don't have an extra Windmill, I just got mine all polished up and
                                                      running...
                                                      However, I do have some free proofreading:

                                                      http://www.manifestopress.com/portfolio2.html

                                                      "...work to show in our protfolio"

                                                      :-)

                                                      Great stuff you all are doing.
                                                      That's a lot of printing going on!

                                                      Cheers from the frozen midwest!

                                                      Peter Fraterdeus
                                                      http://ExquisiteLetterpress.com
                                                      http://dubuquebookarts.com

                                                      On 4 Feb 2008, at 6:54 PM, Bryan wrote:

                                                      > Hey all
                                                      > Bryan from Manifesto Letterpress here. We're growing like crazy. 2008
                                                      > and 2009 are looking to bring us substantial growth.
                                                      >
                                                      > Get in touch with us directly:
                                                      > email: bryan@...
                                                      > phone: 866.529.0009
                                                      > web: www.manifestopress.com

                                                    • Elaine Luther
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Feb 15, 2008
                                                        On 2/1/08, Casey McGarr <casey@...> wrote:

                                                        > I'm considering an AV plate maker that will produce a 12x12 plate. It fits my needs except when I produce posters and then I may just carve the image and set the type in wood or metal. Has anyone found that this size plate maker is limited to any work you do and wish you had purchased a larger plate maker?

                                                        Hi,

                                                        this is what I have. This is plenty big for me, but then I don't do posters.

                                                        There was also the question of heating water for this unit, and I
                                                        agree, the heaters do not heat the water, or not in a time frame that
                                                        works for me. I simply drain and refill the machine for each use.
                                                        Fresh, hot water every time, then the heater/dryer keeps the water
                                                        warm.

                                                        The thing that holds the plates for wash out is just exactly 12 x 12,
                                                        ex-at-tactly, so if you are doing something that goes all the way out
                                                        to the edges, you could have a problem in wash out.

                                                        It's a great machine and I'm happy with it, though I admit I've never
                                                        used any thing else.

                                                        One more tip: the loose brush hairs problem with a new processor: I
                                                        mostly solved this by shop vac'ing the brushes after use. That may
                                                        not be recommended, but it worked!

                                                        Elaine
                                                      • ausart1938
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Jun 18, 2009
                                                          At Gulgong pioneers Museum we are bidding on a Photopolymer Platemaker with the UV unit and the washout and drying unit all combined. Is there anything in particular to watch out for with these units, there is no manufacturers name on the unit. This is a A3 size unit. We hope with this we may get a new generation interested in what we do at the Olde Time Print Shoppe.
                                                          We have 3 Linecasters working now and another goes but the pot is not set up. Our model 48 and Electron still need work. We have a second Ludlow up and running and with a Adana, C&P 8x12 and a Proof Press plus other gear we will take this to our local small farms field days next month. These are all fine now with myself and our Lino Mechanic but we need someone to learn these machines and if they can't at least they could use the platemaker. If we get this platemaker it will be a new learning curve for me.
                                                          Arthur in Australia.
                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Jun 18, 2009
                                                            Arthur

                                                            I am currently in the process of rehabilitating a photopolymer
                                                            platemaker (for an institution) and yes there are some things to be
                                                            concerned about. First off, this eBay bid-won machine came damaged in
                                                            shipping, nice, but nothing not cosmetic seemed damaged. After pounding
                                                            flat the metal sheeting smashed by the fork lift, I had to rewire the
                                                            machine because of some electric configuration differences, this might
                                                            not be uncommon.

                                                            As an aside I think this is funny: It's a single-phase with a big odd
                                                            electrical plug. The institutional electrician determined that because
                                                            of the plug a three-phase rewiring would cost the department $3,500,
                                                            internal rewiring of the walls, etc. Big tag on the back of the machine:
                                                            single-phase. I found a cord and smaller plug in my junk. Re-did some of
                                                            the connections. Problem solved. Amazingly, in this economy, that
                                                            electrician still has a job, eating jelly dough nuts every morning and
                                                            blowing off steam most of the day. Um, at one point in my life I was a
                                                            card carrying member of the IBEW.

                                                            There are going to be usual maintenance replacements: brushes, bulbs,
                                                            vacuum pump, odd parts. None of this is all that difficult. But it is
                                                            expensive. Electrical problems are usually rampant, mainly a matter of
                                                            replacing stuff; switches, ballasts, connections. WD-40 does wonders
                                                            though, try it first on switches.

                                                            The main problem you have is already stated, you don't have a
                                                            manufacturer's name. That could be real important in terms of manual,
                                                            parts availability, etc. I would be concerned about that.

                                                            There is some likely useful information for you on my weblog : digital
                                                            Letterpress page.

                                                            Best of luck.

                                                            ausart1938 wrote:
                                                            > At Gulgong pioneers Museum we are bidding on a Photopolymer Platemaker with the UV unit and the washout and drying unit all combined. Is there anything in particular to watch out for with these units, there is no manufacturers name on the unit. This is a A3 size unit. We hope with this we may get a new generation interested in what we do at the Olde Time Print Shoppe.
                                                            > We have 3 Linecasters working now and another goes but the pot is not set up. Our model 48 and Electron still need work. We have a second Ludlow up and running and with a Adana, C&P 8x12 and a Proof Press plus other gear we will take this to our local small farms field days next month. These are all fine now with myself and our Lino Mechanic but we need someone to learn these machines and if they can't at least they could use the platemaker. If we get this platemaker it will be a new learning curve for me.
                                                            > Arthur in Australia.

                                                          • Norman Hicks
                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Oct 10, 2010
                                                              Are you sure that you need an all-in-one-box?

                                                              I have seen a lot of "home made" setups.
                                                              Not sure I would start out with an imagesetter and film processor.
                                                              The imagesetter is easy enough but the chemistry and the film
                                                              processor is another matter...
                                                              To expose the plate you simply need a vacuum frame and a light source,
                                                              Washing can be accomplished with a soft brush and doing it by hand. Re-
                                                              exposing and baking are also simple.

                                                              The platemakers are expensive, used or new. We have thought about
                                                              importing a nice Japanese brand but it seems like too much work...
                                                              The flexo printing world uses platemakers though theirs are solvent
                                                              (nasty) wash, maybe they could be modified to be water wash.... I sure
                                                              that there would be a large supply of those units...

                                                              We have several platemakers from the rubber-stamp making-world, maybe
                                                              they could work?

                                                              Norman Hicks

                                                              Hicks Brothers Printing Equipment
                                                              582 6th Street