Some help please

  • Dennis Vogel
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 3, 2005
      I'm trying to make a decision and would really like some feedback from this group.

      I live in Mobile, AL and I'm a stockholder in Xante Corp (http://xante.com also in Mobile). They have a new computer to metal plate product (Impressia) that will be for sale in a few months. I got excited about it and I asked if I could sell it in the US territories that are not exclusive, and I'm pretty sure they will say it's ok.

      I'm 61 and this will require me investing in a new motor home (my current RV is much to old and ratty). I will be able to travel (which I love) and make some money. The best of both worlds for me!

      So, even though I leaning strongly to doing this I need some facts that will help me make the final decision.

      The Impressia goes from computer to plate in less than a minute with no chemicals. It will sell for $15,000 and the plates will cost $1.80 each. It has 2400 dpi output and I think everything else the market will require.

      Questions please:

      What do most spend on each metal plate?

      Would $1.80 plates be an incentive?

      How many plates per month do most use?

      Is there enough savings to justify the cost?

      Is the time saving a big deal?

      I think not having to deal chemicals is a big deal. Am I correct?

      Do you think those using paper plates would be interested in switching to metal plates with this product?

      I have only some knowledge of the printing industry (computer programmer since the early 80's). Will this be much of a hindrance? If so, what should I learn in the two months before I start?

      I very much appreciate any comments or suggestions,

      Dennis

    • Katie Harper
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 3, 2005
        Dennis:

        This list consists mostly of letterpress printers who use, among other
        things, polymer relief plates. I think your market is probably offset
        printers.

        Katie Harper

      • typetom@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 3, 2005
          Hello Dennis,
          This looks to me like a metal plate for offset printing, no? This list is
          mainly letterpress printers. We use relief plates (from old fashioned metal type,
          hand-cut wood blocks, photoengraved metal cuts, to photopolymer plates -- all
          with a relief surface that presses ink into the paper). You need to talk with
          commercial offset printers, and get at least a basic understanding of the
          printing process involved.
          Good luck.
          Tom

        • mike.jacobs
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 3, 2005
            This sounds very much like the DI system introduced by Heidelberg in the UK
            about twenty years ago.
            The idea of using direct imaging has come a long way since then and most
            presses, except letterpresses, have a simple add on by using a Rip
            connection.
            If this is to be a career move then you need a lot of expertise and will
            have to compete with technology that is far in advance of the Xante
            Mike at the Cockleshell Press, England
          • Gary Mordhorst
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 3, 2005
              Hi Dennis,

              I suggest that you do not take on any expense to distribute this
              product. The nature of this device is such, that only low end offset
              houses can use the plates (due to quality, fit, line screen, ect.).
              Printing, being as depressed as it has been for the past four years,
              this market can not afford the $15,000 for a plate setter that is
              replacing technology that is already paid for.

              The high end offset houses will not even consider this product. We all
              have a load of money invested in trapping software, profiled image
              setters/plate setters and digital proofing devices. And running 175 to
              200 line four color process is likely not supported by this plate
              setter.

              Use caution. Do not make any big investments to distribute this. The
              product life cycle is very fast on this type of technology.

              Best regards,

              Gary Mordhorst
              AccuColor Plus, Inc.
              www.accucolor.com

              Conventional offset Digital offset Contemporary
              letterpress
            • Stephen Marks
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 4, 2005
                Dennis
                Speaking from a UK perspective, which I realise is not much use to you, you
                would have no trouble selling this equipment to small offset printers in
                this country. Average plate prices over here are much higher, CTP systems
                like this require a much bigger investment, and the no-chemicals issue helps
                a lot too. I suspect that whoever gets the selling rights over here will do
                well at it. Perhaps you could re-locate to not-so-sunny England.
                Yours from a rainy Stratford-on-Avon, Steve Marks

                _____

[...]

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .