Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Claude Garamond Promotes His Old Style Typefaces

  • Kathleen Whalen
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 3, 2005
      There was a number of The Monotype Recorder issued as a tribute/obituary to
      Beatrice Warde, called 'I am a Communicator', edited by Hans Schmoller. It's
      a Quarto sized paperback, not particularly expensive or difficult to find.
      That covers all the ground discussed here so far, with material both by and
      about her. Then there is her book of essays, 'Crystal Goblet', if you want
      to get your teeth into her ideas on type and typography. Her book of letters
      'Bombed but Unbeaten' is rather heavy going, and more wartime propaganda
      than printing related. I'd recommend the first two to anyone sight unseen,
      but the last you might like to flick through and see if it's worth having.

      She was a very interesting writer, straightforward and a good read.

      Graham Moss
      Incline Press
      36 Bow Street
      Oldham OL1 1SJ England