Re: Claude Garamond Promotes His Old Style Typefaces

    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 2, 2005
      When the iron curtain fell the renowned Czech Printing Office (I think that is who held the Menhart) disposed of all its metal type. I was doing the typographic work on a Czech "related" book at the time and with the help of a representative at Velké Losiny papermill the printer-publisher of the book, Robin Price, was able to secure some of the last of Menhart's Manuscript. We wanted to use it for display. Theo Rehak was able to mill it down but there was a problem so we were only able to use it for reproductions, which were then scanned and digitized. My understanding is that Manuscript and others were directly influenced by the earlier Preissig work.

      At one point Letraset was working on digitizing some of the Czech faces but they were quite "harmonized" for the digital environment and thus lost most of their endearing characteristics. P22 has also digitized some the Czech, I was sent the beta Dyrynkova a while back, and it was quite nice. Don't know if that has been released yet.

      http://www.p22.com/

      [P22 is recently the owner of the Lanston Type collection. Hopefully there will be further development of the line.]

      Gerald

      > Agreed. I haven't seen much Czech work, but I was impressed
      > with the work of Oldrich Menhart. The prices do seem reason-
      > able for what you get.
      >
      > --Ph. D.
    • Kathleen Whalen
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 3, 2005
        There was a number of The Monotype Recorder issued as a tribute/obituary to
        Beatrice Warde, called 'I am a Communicator', edited by Hans Schmoller. It's
        a Quarto sized paperback, not particularly expensive or difficult to find.
        That covers all the ground discussed here so far, with material both by and
        about her. Then there is her book of essays, 'Crystal Goblet', if you want
        to get your teeth into her ideas on type and typography. Her book of letters
        'Bombed but Unbeaten' is rather heavy going, and more wartime propaganda
        than printing related. I'd recommend the first two to anyone sight unseen,
        but the last you might like to flick through and see if it's worth having.

        She was a very interesting writer, straightforward and a good read.

        Graham Moss
        Incline Press
        36 Bow Street
        Oldham OL1 1SJ England