Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Claude Garamond Promotes His Old Style Typefaces

  • Ph. D.
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 2, 2005
      Gerald Lange skribis:

      > Paul W Romaine wrote:
      >>
      >> Not to quibble, but this sounds late. My notes have
      >> "Paul Beaujon" (Beatrice Warde) publishing in
      >> 1927 _The 1621 specimen of Jean Jannon_.
      >
      > Without consulting any sources, wasn't the appellation
      > Paul Beaujon used before Ms Warde was employed
      > by Monotype? <snip>

      I'm relying on my memory again, but as I recall, English
      Monotype offered "Paul Beaujon" a job sight unseen
      based on "his" writings. "He" accepted, and caused
      quite a stir when Beatrice Warde showed up on the first
      day of work. Perhaps she continued to write under that
      name after taking the job at Monotype.

      > Yeah, Storm is quite a typophile's delight. I am so pleased
      > to see the Czech work being revived. When I happened
      > upon Preissig's work way back when I was still quite wet
      > behind the ears, I first understood the power of typographic
      > letterforms. The prices at Storm are actually quite good
      > relative to what many European foundries have charged
      > for fonts. We have quite denigrated the value of digital
      > fonts in the US right from the get go, consequently some-
      > times the Euro pricing comes as a shock.

      Agreed. I haven't seen much Czech work, but I was impressed
      with the work of Oldrich Menhart. The prices do seem reason-
      able for what you get.

      --Ph. D.
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 2, 2005
        When the iron curtain fell the renowned Czech Printing Office (I think that is who held the Menhart) disposed of all its metal type. I was doing the typographic work on a Czech "related" book at the time and with the help of a representative at Velké Losiny papermill the printer-publisher of the book, Robin Price, was able to secure some of the last of Menhart's Manuscript. We wanted to use it for display. Theo Rehak was able to mill it down but there was a problem so we were only able to use it for reproductions, which were then scanned and digitized. My understanding is that Manuscript and others were directly influenced by the earlier Preissig work.

        At one point Letraset was working on digitizing some of the Czech faces but they were quite "harmonized" for the digital environment and thus lost most of their endearing characteristics. P22 has also digitized some the Czech, I was sent the beta Dyrynkova a while back, and it was quite nice. Don't know if that has been released yet.

        http://www.p22.com/

        [P22 is recently the owner of the Lanston Type collection. Hopefully there will be further development of the line.]

        Gerald

        > Agreed. I haven't seen much Czech work, but I was impressed
        > with the work of Oldrich Menhart. The prices do seem reason-
        > able for what you get.
        >
        > --Ph. D.
      • Kathleen Whalen
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 3, 2005
          There was a number of The Monotype Recorder issued as a tribute/obituary to
          Beatrice Warde, called 'I am a Communicator', edited by Hans Schmoller. It's
          a Quarto sized paperback, not particularly expensive or difficult to find.
          That covers all the ground discussed here so far, with material both by and
          about her. Then there is her book of essays, 'Crystal Goblet', if you want
          to get your teeth into her ideas on type and typography. Her book of letters
          'Bombed but Unbeaten' is rather heavy going, and more wartime propaganda
          than printing related. I'd recommend the first two to anyone sight unseen,
          but the last you might like to flick through and see if it's worth having.

          She was a very interesting writer, straightforward and a good read.

          Graham Moss
          Incline Press
          36 Bow Street
          Oldham OL1 1SJ England